this weekend, preferably saturday

jbot

We were talking about the fast guy on the Triumph at our gas stop. Did you guys turn off? When I realized you were staying with us I kicked it up a notch because I couldn't tell if you were in control or not and didn't want to suck anyone in to riding over their head. If I would have recognized you I would have stayed at pace. Your bike looks really cool from behind.

We went north on 537 (i think) off of 26. You guys were moving, i know you flow paste me like i was standing still and the two guys behind you did as well. Dont know if i'll ever be that fast, but it was nice to see how these sportbikes can move...for all of .5 seconds i could see you before you hit the next corner. :-)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were talking about the fast guy on the Triumph at our gas stop. Did you guys turn off? When I realized you were staying with us I kicked it up a notch because I couldn't tell if you were in control or not and didn't want to suck anyone in to riding over their head. If I would have recognized you I would have stayed at pace. Your bike looks really cool from behind.

Yes, we turned off on 537 over to 260 to 565. Did an epic ride today. I hope we can ride together before the season ends.

really sorry i missed the ride, and sucks to hear about the bad accident. i got in about 350-400 miles in today somehow. first time doing a long solo ride... it was interesting, but i think i like group rides better unless i learn a route.

i basically slabbed down to bolivar DQ, 93 all the way down to 83, got to 78 and rode that for a while until i realized that if i kept going, i was going to get sucked into hocking hills (or something similar, since i had no idea where i was other than remembering riding 78 at some point before) and then i would NEVER get home. so i turned around and went the same way back home.

We were right there and got diverted around the accident.

The detour was 20 minutes @ 10mph of street tires on shitty loose gravel and trying not to crash.

...so it sounds like that accident was a bad one :(

Yes, multi bikes taken out by a car. One trapped under car. Two helicopers called in.

That call came in and I said "fuck Punks group is supposed to be there about now" ......then I realized the mic was still open

On a lighter note. This was a really good ride. UP, Dave (core), and I hauled much ass for many miles. 78 east of 83 now has good pavement and was fun.

376 north of McConnelsville is worth avoiding though. There were a couple blind hills that dump you right into unmarked turns. We were taking it easy, but a faster pace.on that road good have.had bad results.

On a lighter note. This was a really good ride. UP, Dave (core), and I hauled much ass for many miles. 78 east of 83 now has good pavement and was fun.

376 north of McConnelsville is worth avoiding though. There were a couple blind hills that dump you right into unmarked turns. We were taking it easy, but a faster pace.on that road good have.had bad results.

376 worth avoiding?That's one of my favorite rides.I just took another group of three riders through there today at a pretty good pace.They seemed to like it.

To each his own.

I didn't care for 376 in the direction we went Saturday and figured it would have been chaos if we had been at the pace we were at earlier in the day, we probably had 350 miles by then so the pace reflected the fatigue, at least it was for me, I'm still sore and tired. I was on a group ride a couple years back with nine people on 376 without incident and thought it was a good road but we were going south.

Tpoppa, did the Harley gang give you any grief? The group was so big they had a chase vehicle; it was a convertible VW bug with big Harley Davidson stickers on the doors, kind of cute.

No grief. They probably weren't happy that we were weaving through their formation. After you passed them they kind of bunched up, so I had to pass most of them at once.

My passing power is *ahem* a bit less than the CBR, so I had to wait for a long enough line of site to pass all of them. Plus, I was temporarily blinded by all the chrome and flabby white flesh.

You certainly don't need a 1K to have fun or go fast on the twisty roads and I wouldn't have one if I didn't buy it right but passing is a lot easier with one. Not much thought involved just dial up the needed throttle and go. I have had large cruiser groups try to keep people from passing them and it gets ugly for everyone. I didn't give them much of a chance to react and thought you might have paid for my getting by them uncontested.

this was a doubt i always wanted to ask. Once we got stuck behind a harley parade, since some nice twisty section was coming up i went ahead and passed them with one break in the middle of the parade since it was that long. But somebody said its not the right rider etiquette, is it true?

The right etiquette for them would be to get in single file or allow enough space for you to get between them. This is if they are not doing the speed limit or backing up all traffic. If they are at least maintaining the speed limit or recommended speeds then they are under no obligation to oblige your desire to go faster. Having said that as long as you are not pushing them out of your way pass at will. It might upset a few of them but if they were to come up to some grandma on her way to church taking her good old time you can bet they would pass her so why should they be treated special. I have met Goldwing groups, BMW groups, FJR groups, dual sport groups and sport bike groups on the back roads all of them had proper spacing between them to get by them safely; I have only had problems with the cruiser crowd. Not trying to make this about bashing cruisers because I have been on group rides with them and they rode well plus were good guys. I have owned one as well but they do turn into jerks once there is a crowd of them at least while riding.

I say pass them as safely as you can, remembering that not everybody is comfortable with another bike in their close proximity. If they decide to make an issue by blocking and swerving return the favor.

^ exactly, just always consider the other riders first.....the group we passed were spread out well enough that merging in wouldn't have "shocked" the other riders. If they wern't spaced out so far, I probably would have never passed unless we had line of sight to pass the whole group at once.

The right etiquette for them would be to get in single file or allow enough space for you to get between them. This is if they are not doing the speed limit or backing up all traffic. If they are at least maintaining the speed limit or recommended speeds then they are under no obligation to oblige your desire to go faster. Having said that as long as you are not pushing them out of your way pass at will. It might upset a few of them but if they were to come up to some grandma on her way to church taking her good old time you can bet they would pass her so why should they be treated special. I have met Goldwing groups, BMW groups, FJR groups, dual sport groups and sport bike groups on the back roads all of them had proper spacing between them to get by them safely; I have only had problems with the cruiser crowd. Not trying to make this about bashing cruisers because I have been on group rides with them and they rode well plus were good guys. I have owned one as well but they do turn into jerks once there is a crowd of them at least while riding.

I say pass them as safely as you can, remembering that not everybody is comfortable with another bike in their close proximity. If they decide to make an issue by blocking and swerving return the favor.

All Truth

I try to pass them at a reasonable pace and with enough distance. The only vehicles I pass at a slower pace are Amish wagons. I'd hate to spook a horse and cause an accident. Besides' date=' most of the Amish kids really like checking out the bike. Why not take my time and give them a little thrill?[/quote']

I noticed that, they always wave.