Mushroom experts, I need your help.

QuikAccord

I have large mushrooms growing in my back yard. I think they may be puffballs but I'm not sure. I've never hunted before so I have no clue.

This one was first noticed yesterday and mare than doubled its size in 24 hours. Golf ball yesterday, almost softball today.

d65efdbe7e610470b8d4ba7972a59a74.jpg

04a1614cd751d8b97b58e37bf2e2d69b.jpg

ccfc2cbe163e75d6ea42b37ba93769bc.jpg

http://www.josephinesjournal.com/mushrooms.html

Best guess:

Chlorophyllum Species

• Another type of large white toadstool, Chlorophyllum molybdites and similar species are common "fairy ring" mushrooms that grow in lawns during the spring and fall. These mushrooms are poisonous, producing abdominal pain and gastro-intestinal symptoms. They closely resemble some edible species, such as Lepiota molybdites. However, chlorophyllum mushrooms produce green spores and may have greenish gills.
  • http://www.ehow.com/list_7336117_types-mushrooms-grow-people_s-yards.html

Edited by ReconRat

Poisonous.

Mushrooms can cause some of the most painful deaths if eaten. I've read before that you definitely suffer.

The ones you hunt I ate before and they are delicious fried. They are more tall than round. Kind of cylindrical. Google and you will learn about them.

Edited by NinjaNick

Morels are the typical shroomhunters target, but there are some portabella that can be found as well. Both are delicious, but Morels have a muskier flavor. Not sure what you have pictured, but check it out thoroughly before ingestion. Like Nick said, some poisonous breeds are a slow and painful death

I grew up in the country and my dad used to pick puff balls. This is the time of year when they are to be harvested. When cooking, they are best sliced thin, dipped in egg and flour then fried till lightly brown. The ones we ate were very similar to those in your pictures but I can't be for sure those are edible.

I really never liked them all that much, it is an aquired taste. However, they did kill my tapeworm.

Do not eat! I'm not sure the name of them but I have looked them up and they are bad. Pinkies are coming up right now and will into the fall. You may find them in your yard.A fresh pinkie is white on top and pink underneath. Not so fresh it will be a little more brown on top and underneath but it will still be ok to eat. If they are dark underneath with no pink they are bad.

The pinker and more round the better.:)

Looks like a puffball to me.....

2epm541.jpg

or

j0zokh.jpg

"Are puffballs good to eat?"

"Yup. There are two issues, though:

Topics:

1) You have to make sure that it's a puffball.

2) You have to make sure that it's not ripe...."

http://www.mushroomthejournal.com/greatlakesdata/TopTen/Quest685.html

but its better to be safe than sorry, and if you are not sure, smash the thing!! LOL