best chain lube? - just another oil thread

max power

Just spent an hour cleaning my nasty dirty bike chain and its still not done.

I don't really have much confidence in the Bel-Ray or the Chain Wax I've used in the past.

Looking for something that won't fling off and preferably clear.

What do you use and why?

I use Maxima ChainWax. After cleaning the chain with kerosene and drying it, I spray on a very light coat. Then the next time I ride, I make sure to spray it again as soon as I get home while the chain is warm. Heat helps the wax set into the links/plates better. Then its good to go for a while, say 500-750 miles before needing another coat. If you overdose the chain, it will surely fling onto the wheel no matter what kind you use. I like the Maxima stuff since its virtually clear and doesn't really fling much at all if used modestly

PJ1 Blue Label Clear...always looked Purdy on my gold chain, it would sling a little but I think I was over doing it.my old TL chain had almosy 40k miles on it and i didnt really need to change it

PJIbluelarge.jpg

Edited by 2talltim

I've been using the repsol lately, seems just to work good. Previously used chain wax, the repsol seems a little thinner. Can't really say if one gets flung off more than the other, bikes too dirty to tell.

Truth is I used plain old bar and chain oil on my fourwheeler back in the day....never had an issue over 5 years of nearly daily riding through all kinds of conditions.

I like oil or Teflon based lubes the best. I use the Repsol chain lube (spray can) the most and have never had a problem and I will also use some spare 80wt oil that I have if I cannot find the Respol or left it somewhere. The oils seem to not collect as much dirt on the chain or any other surface. I am definitely spending less time cleaning my undertail and that whole back left side, especially the rear wheel where all that brake dust comes off and can collect on the wax.

I use Maxima ChainWax. After cleaning the chain with kerosene and drying it, I spray on a very light coat. Then the next time I ride, I make sure to spray it again as soon as I get home while the chain is warm. Heat helps the wax set into the links/plates better. Then its good to go for a while, say 500-750 miles before needing another coat. If you overdose the chain, it will surely fling onto the wheel no matter what kind you use. I like the Maxima stuff since its virtually clear and doesn't really fling much at all if used modestly

You can also use WD40 to clean the chain and maxima lube works pretty good for me but warm the chain up before using and wipe off over spray with a rag

Edited by wht_scorpion

It'll just get nasty again and rob horsepower once you put thick nasty wax on. But to each their own.

Been using Wd40 before every ride since I started using it in 2004. Never had to replace any chain ever for wear. Over 22,000 miles on my first chain with no sign of damage. Only replaced it because I went up in sprocket teeth for more low end back then on my 636. People talk the science about it, blah, blah, but my chains perform better than theirs so I don't listen. I put my bike on rear stand after every ride so it only takes me 1 minute to spray WD on a paper towel and apply it to my chain as I use my other hand to spin the tire. Never had it destroyed any O-rings like the others argue that never tried it.

That's what I use, but you wil gunk up your chain no matter what commercial wax you use.

Goodluck. :cheers:

Edited by NinjaNick

When I find something that works I usually stick to it. The ProHonda HP chain lube (red can) works good for me. Its a blend of telfon and moly and its a dry film type. My chains go about 24k.

(I hate chain wax)

Ditto on the lube brand & mileage. Also, I never clean my chain with anything other than a thick spray of the lube then a rag as not to risk o-ring damage.

I'll never use wd40 on an o-ring chain. Take an o-ring, put it on a nail or whatever it will fit on ans put it in a cup of the stuff. O-ring swells up and comes off. Clean with kerosene, it won't damage rings and it has better lubricating properties than wd, which is designed to displace water.

PJ1 Blue Label Clear...always looked Purdy on my gold chain, it would sling a little but I think I was over doing it.my old TL chain had almosy 40k miles on it and i didnt really need to change it

PJIbluelarge.jpg

I cleaned my chain today too since I got caught in the rain Fri morning. ^^This is what I have been using.