best chain lube? - just another oil thread

max power

The following o-ring materials listed as safe, are safe with Stoddard solvent (wd-40).

http://www.efunda.com/glossary/design/oring/design--oring--chemical--stoddard_solvent.cfm

Now the question is, what o-ring material do motorcycle chains use.

edit: interesting blurb on motorcycle chain design. hrmm, maybe I start lubing chain again.

http://chain-guide.com/applications/1-5-2-motorcycle-chain.html

Edited by ReconRat

I sure love the know it alls that really don't know how many actually use it and get crazy mileage on their chains (skullcrusher).Makes this forum entertaining. Especially when they come from those that never really ride (helman). ;):p

Smiley aside, you mad bro? I ride often, thanx for assuming otherwise. Conjecture, I should've expected that considering the source. Just because we haven't ventured "together" somewhere doesn't mean I cant/dont ride......someday it'll happen, even though we dont agree on fuckin chain lubricants :rolleyes:

WD40 is mainly water and evaporates, so i dont see how this is good for long term. Dayton meet will need to include a ring for you two and exarch and slingingchic

Edited by snot

WD40 is mainly water and evaporates, so i dont see how this is good for long term. Dayton meet will need to include a ring for you two and exarch and slingingchic

Now that's not quite true, WD40 is basically kerosene and mineral oil. It's not necessarily a lubricant as much as it is a cleaner. I do feel like something a bit more substantial should be used after cleaning with WD40 if that's what ones preference is.

However considering an oring chain is sealed, there is no need to lubricate the chain. The primary goal of chain maintenance is to clean the chain and keep dirt from penetrating the orings seal. That's why kerosene works well for cleaning and a chain wax keeps dirt from getting to the orings.

WD40 with frequent enough application would work fine, but I'm not one to stop every 50-100 miles for a shot of the stuff and then keep riding.

For me, kerosene to clean and a cheap off brand chain wax is fine. Generally I do chain maintenance every 700-1000 miles, unless I get stuck doing a lot of riding in the rain and the chain gets dirty quicker than normal.

Sent from HTC Incredible

Going to stop by summit racing and pick up a can of klotz klr tomorrow, will clean the left side of my rim really good, let it set up according to directions on the can and then take it up to 85 or so on the freeway and see how much fling we get.

Nick, popular opinion does not equate to scientific proof. I don't care how many people use wd. There are also thousands of people who believe in alien abduction and Bigfoot. Doesn't make it true. Mineral oils and spirits are bad for rubber, o-rings are rubber.

I've tried not lubing oring chains before, and while the rings seal lube in the rollers, they don't do much for the plates.

I know none of you read what I posted before. go look at your chains closely. the rollers are not sealed. they need lubed often.

at least use wd-40 if you want to. at least it's something.

but don't leave them without some kind of lube at all.

6839962936_c421d9417c_h.jpg

Edited by serpentracer

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

/WD40debate

For the record, I use a a product made specifically to clean chains (forget the brand). I'm prolly paying more for it than other solutions but I like it, I can afford it, and I don't have to wonder if it's damaging my o-rings, etc.

I usually wait until I've had several beers and then just piss on the chain to clean. Your body naturally turns the alcohol into a degreasing cleaner. Then after I'm done playing with my peter, I take the left over KY and splatter it on the chain. Haven't had any issues yet. Just don't play with your peter and splatter your chain together. It hurts........

• Upvote 1

The following o-ring materials listed as safe, are safe with Stoddard solvent (wd-40).

http://www.efunda.com/glossary/design/oring/design--oring--chemical--stoddard_solvent.cfm

Now the question is, what o-ring material do motorcycle chains use.

edit: interesting blurb on motorcycle chain design. hrmm, maybe I start lubing chain again.

http://chain-guide.com/applications/1-5-2-motorcycle-chain.html

According to this, o-rings are composed of an approved substance for WD40 (assuming the poster is correct).

Helmutt - Not angry, just annoyed. I am just strong with the WD force. Big fan.

That's cool man, I dig on my own products too. Just read it differently than you were intending, I'm sure. I appreciate the wax based products since they're a virtual "sealer" when cold, and once they heat up a bit they keep the chain lubed AND quiet. Plus, I'd rather not have to shoot the chain all the time when I can use Maxima ( or the like ) and have the option to simply hop on and go whenever I want to. That's all I was pointing at. I used WD on all my dirtbike chains to clean/lube but I'd always scrub and oil ( 90w ) those repetitively due to the evironment they're subjected to. But that's a whole 'nuther animal. We're good.

WD40 will simply clean and keep your chain from rusting, it is good stuff but aint lubricating shit for very long on a chain. I am in the camp of a clean chain is a happy chain, and Maxima chain wax if applied correctly is hard to beat. That is why I fancy the Bel-Ray Superclean, it goes on white so you know where and how much has been applied. You don't need to get crazy with it at all, matter of fact you wan't a nice light coat "especially on the rollers" and it doesn't fling off from my experience.

I usually wait until I've had several beers and then just piss on the chain to clean. Your body naturally turns the alcohol into a degreasing cleaner. Then after I'm done playing with my peter, I take the left over KY and splatter it on the chain. Haven't had any issues yet. Just don't play with your peter and splatter your chain together. It hurts........

:lol: +rep

I was going too make an Astroglide statement earlier.

According to this, o-rings are composed of an approved substance for WD40 (assuming the poster is correct).

Just guessing on motorcycle o-ring design, based on years of mechanical and aircraft design. The two most common materials used would be Buna-N (Nitrile) or butyl. One is ok and the other is not. I really doubt the butyl would be used for moving parts exposed to the elements and chemistry of cleaners and lubes. Even on a cheap chain, it wouldn't save much for the manufacturer. The style of o-ring would save some cost, if it were a simple o-ring instead of a fancy X shape.

If I dig out the aircraft maintenance manuals or design manuals, they will probably give similar information. Maybe will look it up when I get home.

edit: most of the damage to a chain will come from dirt, grit, dried out o-rings and o-rings damaged by aggressive cleaning with a hard bristle brush.

Edited by ReconRat

Ok, picked up the klotz klr and I'm impressed. Sprayed on a warm chain, it goes on like water but soon sets up into something I would describe as dry and waxy. Really gets down into the pins and rollers too. Didn't have time for a ride after I got back from my lunch break, but will ride home tonight and check for fling off.