best chain lube? - just another oil thread

max power

I really miss the belt drive that was on my XB9R. I just don't miss the primary drive it was festooned to.

I had never owned a shaft driven bike before, and the engine attached to the shaft drive on my current ride is like a nuclear reactor.:eek:

Do you use the laser serpent? How you like it?

haha no. that thing is tits though. I was just being a joker.

my R6's swingarm is cast so it has pretty accurate markings on it. just for the hell of it I use a set of calipers to measure how far up the axle is from each side of the swingarm and it's dead nuts on both sides going by the marks.

plus I look down the chain from the back and it looks pretty straight with the sprockets. no more wear on either side of the sprockets either.

but if I had a different bike I'd probably buy the motion pro tool

anyone ever seen this?

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/motorcycle.html

I bought a squirt bottle (not the aerosol can) of their dry chain lube today to try. got it at lowes.

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/chain_saver.html

also thought about getting one of these,

http://www.chaindrain.com/

That's what I've been using. Or not using, lol. People are saying the new DuPont lube is thicker than the old blue can. Dunno, I've still got blue cans of the older lube. The squirt bottle is handy when it's with the bike. Smaller to carry around. I'll try the chain cleaner. Not sure about a chain drain...

Chain adjustment tool? Don't you just loosen the axle and use the adjusters on the swinger?

What Isaac's Papa said... I used a long screw driver last night. It works, just more low tech than I like. ;)

BTW, Iron Pony doesn't carry Klotz chain lube. Where did you end up finding it?

What Isaac's Papa said... I used a long screw driver last night. It works, just more low tech than I like. ;)

BTW, Iron Pony doesn't carry Klotz chain lube. Where did you end up finding it?

Said he was going to Summit, not sure if thats where he bought it or not

Got it a summit racing, its pretty close to where I work. You can order it from them on eBay, I think its like $16/can shipped, or you can hit I 76 and go check out the store.I grew up down the street from summit, its definitely changed over the years.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing about the klr, you need to take the red straw and put it on a can of carb cleaner to clear it out or the lube hardens inside and becomes useless...yes I tried just inverting the can and spraying for a few seconds, that's how I ruined the 2nd straw....carb cleaner or wd or something like that.

It'll just get nasty again and rob horsepower once you put thick nasty wax on. But to each their own.

Been using Wd40 before every ride since I started using it in 2004. Never had to replace any chain ever for wear. Over 22,000 miles on my first chain with no sign of damage. Only replaced it because I went up in sprocket teeth for more low end back then on my 636. People talk the science about it, blah, blah, but my chains perform better than theirs so I don't listen. I put my bike on rear stand after every ride so it only takes me 1 minute to spray WD on a paper towel and apply it to my chain as I use my other hand to spin the tire. Never had it destroyed any O-rings like the others argue that never tried it.

That's what I use, but you wil gunk up your chain no matter what commercial wax you use.

Goodluck. :cheers:

Wd-40 every time you ride. best stuff ever. For all others PJ1 blue label
WD 40 ONLY.. Do it once or twice every trackday... No lube.. that stuff gets nasty and gunky.. WD keeps it clean and lubed.. u just have to make sure you use it more often then most conventional lubes.. Talk to 35motorsports on what he uses.. WD 40!

WD40 is all I use. No speculation, just fact, it flat out works. I have used it on my last six bikes averaging 12K per bike. Quick to use, keeps chain clean, easy to find because every gas station has it. I know people with over 24K using it. If something works better or makes a chain last longer I don't care, that's enough life for me to use the simple easy method.

• Upvote 1