Smoking while riding

YSR_Racer_99

Really? Why?

On 71 SB today, near Kings Island. Passed a Harley (on the right. If I'm passing on your right, you're in the wrong lane) rider with a cigarette in his mouth. It was humorous as the cigarette was kind of flopping around in the wind.

Last week on 75 NB near Tylersville, passed a woman driving her Harley. Watched her work the cig out of the pack, pop it in her mouth, then reach over and pull her cig lighter (automotive pop-in style) out and light it.

I'm not a smoker, but don't really get it.

I passed a Harley yesterday on NB 71 still inside the 275 loop, that looked to be on something with him taking his hands on and off the bars riding in the left most lane going 70mph and was flipping everyone off that passed him... I never enjoyed washing my windshield as much as I did just then after passing him :D

Also don't get why people smoke and ride at the same time :dunno:

I'm gonna drill out the front of my fullface so I can puff puff while I putt putt around:D

:lol: just shittin' ya.......I'm a smoker, but refrain while riding - no need to distract myself even more than everything else already does.

I smoke from time to time and I have nothing against it, it just seems like a waste to smoke while riding with how expensive the things are! Also like Hellmutt said no need for any more distractions while already finding 1.85$ and running from the choppa'

YUT UGHHH

:wheeliezx10:

I'm a smoker, never have I ever done it while riding. Pull over, take a break from riding, enjoy the smoke and go along your way.

My buddy bought one of those HJC (I think) helments where the front face flips up, so he can smoke while riding. With these new fire safe cigarettes, they go out just sitting there, let alone going 70mph hour down the highway. :nono:

the real travesty here, is the left lane camping.

I'm a dick to people when I'm in the car when I catch them camping in the left. I pass on the right, then I get in front of them and let off the gas, engine/friction slowing (no brake check) until they get so frustrated that they try to pass on the right, then I stomp the "go" pedal when they get in the correct lane.

When I'm on the bike, I just sit behind them and keep waving them to the right, mouthing "get the f*ck over". If they don't get the hint, and I run out of patience: I have been known to pass on the left shoulder, even when the right lane was open, to make my point.

Edited by magley64

I'm a dick to people when I'm in the car when I catch them camping in the left. I pass on the right, then I get in front of them and let off the gas, engine/friction slowing (no brake check) until they get so frustrated that they try to pass on the right, then I stomp the "go" pedal when they get in the correct lane.

When I'm on the bike, I just sit behind them and keep waving them to the right, mouthing "get the f*ck over". If they don't get the hint, and I run out of patience: I have been known to pass on the left shoulder, even when the right lane was open, to make my point.

Why? If thats where they choose to drive, then so be it.

(Note: Joking here. Drives me nuts. The 42/ 48 bypass in Lebanon makes me crazy. People seem to feel that they need to hang in the left lane northbound from the second they come off of I-71 so they can make a left handed turn six miles up the road. GETTTTTTT OVERRRRRRRRR!)

Before I was atgatt I smoked while I rode if I wasnt wearing a helmet. Takes a little extra coordination but no big deal. Now I stop to smoke. People who camp in the left lane can suck a nut. Seen a guy in a station wagon with a bumper sticker that read 'god said it, that settles it. Doesn't matter if you believe it or not.' Doing like 50-fucking-5 in the left lane in a 65 zone getting passed on the right by anyone with a functioning brain and right foot. I made it a point to ride up next to him and gesticulate madly.

I would say this is VERY dependant on the road and the population of the area, and if there are any left turns around lol....

when I am in portsmouth, I almost always pop into the left lane coming 23 south, there are about 14 left turns through, I've had people like you act like that, and its road rage and childish, if they do this in a place where there are viable left turns within a half mile, I'd say they need meds. I have had ragers (thats what I call people like you) in my truck and on my bike, because I'm not willing to hammer it at a light when I am turning in a 1/4 mile.

I once moved left safely to give a stopped officer some room and was raged at by a biker... till he almost hit the cop (he was partially out in the lane).. when you do this and someone turns left or it becomes apparent they were there for a reason, do you ever get embarrassed, or are you just happy you got your rage on?

a piece of advice, its not your road, share it. if they are going the speed limit they aren't breaking anymore laws than you are by speeding, chill out and save the coronary for the big shit in life.

Why? If thats where they choose to drive, then so be it.

(Note: Joking here. Drives me nuts. The 42/ 48 bypass in Lebanon makes me crazy. People seem to feel that they need to hang in the left lane northbound from the second they come off of I-71 so they can make a left handed turn six miles up the road. GETTTTTTT OVERRRRRRRRR!)[/quote

thats called planning ahead, I don't know where your talking about, but I've done it when I am coming into a area that can get congested, 6 miles is alot, but 2 before known slowdowns is really not unreasonable. share the road.

Edited by RideSlow

a piece of advice, its not your road, share it. if they are going the speed limit they aren't breaking anymore laws than you are by speeding, chill out and save the coronary for the big shit in life.

And it's not YOUR road either. Which in reality is what you fast lane squatters are saying. It's a PASSING lane, yet you squatters choose to act like its there for your personal pleasure cruising along totally oblivious to the wide open lanes to your right. Use it to pass, and GTFO!

As far as not breaking any laws by squatting... It actually IS illegal in certain parts. Just not enforced unfortunately.

Nobama 2012

lol, I dont ride on limited access, and I dont go slow in a cage, but, the left lane thing on heavy access areas isn't a passing lane, its a turning lane as well, so speeding is not really a great idea, in fact where I was speaking of, the right lane is the passing lane, since it is ALWAYS faster in traffic to run the right side due to all the turning left in the populated section.

I do ride slow, I also stick to back roads and stay the hell out of the way as best I can, including pulling off if I am not setting a fair pace, experience on a bike like I'm riding is a factor, but I DO go the speed limit whenever possible. in a limited access area, I agree that you shouldn't limp in the left, but what is limping? if I am going 70 in a 55 and you want to go 75, I don't think I should have to move over and slow down behind granny to let you go by, thats not logical either. it ISN'T my road, but I'm not the one acting like its cool or good to scream at people going down the road, it is in fact bad, its road rage, sorry you don't like it. do I wish everyone drove right? sure, do i wish everyone had patience, yup, and when the two of you get together I will sit back and eat popcorn, but if you expect a thumbs up for being a jerk, not gonna happen. I dont like ragers, sorry, they aren't teaching a lesson, and on a bike your just enforcing a negative stereotype, might as well put on your pirate suit before riding so we can see you coming.

:threadjack continues:

Left lane hogs :nono: *sigh* they are what they are. It's free will, you can't MAKE these people change their behavior. But you can do yourself a favor in retaliation, pass on the right so you can flip their passenger mirror forward while speeding away. Just be sure to swing to the right side of the next lane while fisting the fuel so they cant get your plate# and falsely call you in as a "hit and run". No damage has been done to their vehicle, most all mirrors are built to breakaway anymore. I've done it a time or two. Be it somewhat dangerous, right or wrong, all I know is it makes me feel better.

lol, I dont ride on limited access, and I dont go slow in a cage, but, the left lane thing on heavy access areas isn't a passing lane, its a turning lane as well, so speeding is not really a great idea, in fact where I was speaking of, the right lane is the passing lane, since it is ALWAYS faster in traffic to run the right side due to all the turning left in the populated section.

I do ride slow, I also stick to back roads and stay the hell out of the way as best I can, including pulling off if I am not setting a fair pace, experience on a bike like I'm riding is a factor, but I DO go the speed limit whenever possible. in a limited access area, I agree that you shouldn't limp in the left, but what is limping? if I am going 70 in a 55 and you want to go 75, I don't think I should have to move over and slow down behind granny to let you go by, thats not logical either. it ISN'T my road, but I'm not the one acting like its cool or good to scream at people going down the road, it is in fact bad, its road rage, sorry you don't like it. do I wish everyone drove right? sure, do i wish everyone had patience, yup, and when the two of you get together I will sit back and eat popcorn, but if you expect a thumbs up for being a jerk, not gonna happen. I dont like ragers, sorry, they aren't teaching a lesson, and on a bike your just enforcing a negative stereotype, might as well put on your pirate suit before riding so we can see you coming.

You're contradicting yourself. If you would have had to slow down to move right when getting behind granny, that tells me your going faster than granny. In which case, you are using the left lane as intended. Kudos. Pass her and then get out of the passing lane. I don't care if you pass her at 1 or 20 mph faster than she is going. Your good. But if you're not passing, you're squatting!

I don't care if you're going 70, or a BUCK 70 in the left lane. If you're not passing anyone, GTFO! Someone coming up behind you that is going faster than you? Pay attention! Are you going slower than the lane on your right? GTFO! Is the lane on your right empty? GTFO! And if you ARE actually passing someone, kudos again. Now do your passing, and GTFO! Really not rocket science. Common sense and the correct way to drive! Just think "Autobahn"

Nobama 2012

Doesn't Ohio law state that slower traffic must use right lanes? I know I've seen a few random signs along the Interstate. I've also seen a yellow sportbike around Troy/TippCity with a huge mirror image of "slower traffic -->" on his windscreen so when he approaches a slowbie in the left lane, holding up traffic, that they see why he's giving them the old "you're number one" hand signal

You're contradicting yourself. If you would have had to slow down to move right when getting behind granny, that tells me your going faster than granny. In which case, you are using the left lane as intended. Kudos. Pass her and then get out of the passing lane. I don't care if you pass her at 1 or 20 mph faster than she is going. Your good. But if you're not passing, you're squatting!

I don't care if you're going 70, or a BUCK 70 in the left lane. If you're not passing anyone, GTFO! Someone coming up behind you that is going faster than you? Pay attention! Are you going slower than the lane on your right? GTFO! Is the lane on your right empty? GTFO! And if you ARE actually passing someone, kudos again. Now do your passing, and GTFO! Really not rocket science. Common sense and the correct way to drive! Just think "Autobahn"

Nobama 2012

my experience with limited access in the last 5 years was pretty much limited to company tractor trailers, so I only saw the left lane very seldom. (company trucks for running canada were capped to 62mph).

that said, when I do wander my own vehicles to columbus and hit the limited access (once or twice a year during business hours) it usually heavy traffic when I am there. the left lane is passing constantly, so your either coming up on someone and theres little "not passing or getting ready to pass" time. so there isn't much need to get over. if your upset that people are over there going same speed as right lanes for the hell of it I agree its stupid, but I don't see the reason to be so upset, of course its not every day for me either.

I reaaalllyyy dont see the reason to possibly cause someone to panic swerve by striking their vehicle at speed and risk them swerving into me or something/someone else. you can't justify road rage to me though, I can see venting, can see being slightly peeved, can't see the justification for rage. if living in the city with all those lesser folks vexes you so, move for your own peace of mind. the stupidity is everywhere, just go where there is less of them to deal with.