Got pulled over doing +25 over

Scruit

Apparently you haven't dealt with many defense attorneys. How can the cop say it was ok to not ticket him at over 25mph over the speed limit but someone else going less over the speed limit should have a ticket?

In a time where budgets are at a low and people are feeling their tax dollars are being wasted people feel cops should be doing their job aka writing tickets.

So if your going 10+ mph over the speedlimit and slow down(which is the cops intent usually, especially on the highway) he probably isn't going to give 2 shits are you going to turn around and demand a ticket? lol, cops have more important things to worry about than some harmless person doing a little speeding or whatever the case may be, especially in high crime areas(guessing he wasn't in a high crime area, but still...)

I know what defense attorneys do police training involves so yeah..

An officers job isn't to write tickets, it's to keep the public safe (in a nutshell) and it's their discretion if they want to write a ticket, it is not mandatory nor a quota. If and officer feels someone deserves a ticket for whatever reason then that's how it is. A repeat offender is likely going to get a ticket versus someone who has a clean record..Now that doesn't mean you couldn't fight it since you can go to court for pretty much any reason, but it doesn't mean you'll win.

"police training involves so yeah..". What are you saying here? Proof that the cop let someone else off for a more dangerous offense is a pretty good argument.

So if your going 10+ mph over the speedlimit and slow down(which is the cops intent usually, especially on the highway) he probably isn't going to give 2 shits are you going to turn around and demand a ticket? lol, cops have more important things to worry about than some harmless person doing a little speeding or whatever the case may be, especially in high crime areas(guessing he wasn't in a high crime area, but still...)

Why are you still here? Nothing you say is ever relevant.

"police training involves so yeah..". What are you saying here? Proof that the cop let someone else off for a more dangerous offense is a pretty good argument.

I've been through the training..And saying Scruit's offense was dangerous is all opinion. Traffic wasn't heavy from what I could tell in the video and he didn't really pose as much of a danger to anyone around him which is likely what an officer would say. But again, it's the officers discretion what to do in every situation and you can argue this reason or that all day long and it probably won't help, maybe a reduced charge by the judge but that's their choice as well. As I said before, you may not like that but that's just how it goes. We could play this "what if" game forever but it won't get anywhere.

I've been through the training..And saying Scruit's offense was dangerous is all opinion. Traffic wasn't heavy from what I could tell in the video and he didn't really pose as much of a danger to anyone around him which is likely what an officer would say. But again, it's the officers discretion what to do in every situation and you can argue this reason or that all day long and it probably won't help, maybe a reduced charge by the judge but that's their choice as well. As I said before, you may not like that but that's just how it goes. We could play this "what if" game forever but it won't get anywhere.

Been through the training and actually doing it in real life are 2 different things. ;). Now I don't deal with traffic violations (just felonies) in my line of work I know that defense attorneys will try anything to get their clients off. It was stated that this video couldn't affect the officer. It going to court would affect him and the tickets he chooses to write. It also sets up the officer for a potential discrimination lawsuit. It doesn't matter if the case is won or lost it will still affect him.

Been through the training and actually doing it in real life are 2 different things. ;). Now I don't deal with traffic violations (just felonies) in my line of work I know that defense attorneys will try anything to get their clients off. It was stated that this video couldn't affect the officer. It going to court would affect him and the tickets he chooses to write. It also sets up the officer for a potential discrimination lawsuit. It doesn't matter if the case is won or lost it will still affect him.

Well of course a defense attorney will try anything to win their case, but I fail to see how the video could in any way hurt the officer, especially when his name isn't revealed.

And OT, but I assume you're a lawyer, marshal, or something along those lines?

Well of course a defense attorney will try anything to win their case, but I fail to see how the video could in any way hurt the officer, especially when his name isn't revealed.

And OT, but I assume you're a lawyer, marshal, or something along those lines?

If someone recognizes the officer in the video and starts a discrimination suit against the officer and he gets put on leave he may need to cover his time off with his own leave. Or if he gets paid leave for the duration of the trial he won't get any premium pay (overtime, night pay,special duty pay ect.) that he's used to. With the amount of time it can take for a lawsuit to clear up that can really hurt the wallet. It's a tactic used by a lot of attorneys trying to push for a settlement. I saw that a few times while I was a corrections officer in Ohio. Every time the officer ended up getting cleared but it did hurt their wallet. That's just one way it could get the officer.

Edited by cOoTeR
off topic info no longer needed.

I'm still not sure that the officer could be 100% identified from the video since you can't see his face since he has sunglasses on and he has not distinct facial features that the video shows. I wouldn't think their's enough proof to positively ID the officer in the video. But still, I don't see how an officer could get in any trouble from the video since they give warnings to people all the time along with tickets so someone could argue whatever they want to but I doubt the officer would get in trouble, but that's my opinion. This really isn't going anywhere though so I'm going to agree to just disagree and call it a day. :cheers:

I'm still not sure that the officer could be 100% identified from the video since you can't see his face since he has sunglasses on and he has not distinct facial features that the video shows. I wouldn't think their's enough proof to positively ID the officer in the video. But still, I don't see how an officer could get in any trouble from the video since they give warnings to people all the time along with tickets so someone could argue whatever they want to but I doubt the officer would get in trouble, but that's my opinion. This really isn't going anywhere though so I'm going to agree to just disagree and call it a day. :cheers:

Sounds good. :cheers:

Riding a v strom and wearing appropriate gear is a good first impression to give a LEO.

We all make snap judgments based ok stereotypes and our own past experiences. Where a sport bike, flip flops and a corona tank top doing 25 over says "reckless" a fully geared rider on a less sporty bike says "responsible guy doing something mildly irresponsible."

Right or wrong, there's an impression made and an

Expectation of how a person will act. Being calm and polite will always help your odds. Being white and over 40 usually will as well... Not fair, but statistically accurate...

Riding a v strom and wearing appropriate gear is a good first impression to give a LEO.

We all make snap judgments based ok stereotypes and our own past experiences. Where a sport bike, flip flops and a corona tank top doing 25 over says "reckless" a fully geared rider on a less sporty bike says "responsible guy doing something mildly irresponsible."

Right or wrong, there's an impression made and an

Expectation of how a person will act. Being calm and polite will always help your odds. Being white and over 40 usually will as well... Not fair, but statistically accurate...

This is it right here.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Lucky you, I got a holiday coupon on my drive up to my parents :nono: first time I have had an officer approach me with his hand on his side arm.

I got a ticket also coming back from Cincinnati Saturday...64 in a 55 on SR 180 in Hocking county. $135 ticket but the Highway Patrolman was a nice guy, could have nailed me for no front plate also in my wife's car.