Build me a computer for ~$500

natedogg624

I'm in need of a desktop solution. I've already got an ATX case sitting in my closet but with old ancient hardware.

Main use will be streaming music to my HTPC, some internet browsing, some office work. Not interested in SSD's. Output will be to a large 24" external monitor via HDMI/DVI, possibly dual 24" monitors in the future.

I can put the pieces together, just having trouble finding the proper hardware.

Windows OS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here you is. 500 on the dot with a full, legal version of Windows.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H67M (B3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($77.55 @ Newegg)

Memory: AMD Performance Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Momentu 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ NCIX US)

Case: Rosewill R363-M-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case w/400W Power Supply ($54.98 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.20 @ Amazon)

Total: $499.67

(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-31 07:51 EDT-0400)

Memory: AMD Performance Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Momentu 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ NCIX US)

Case: Rosewill R363-M-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case w/400W Power Supply ($54.98 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.20 @ Amazon)

Wow, that's a lot of hassle to buy from so many different vendors! Also, why a 2.5" hard drive?

I hate onboard video cards.

With onboard graphics now, is it possible for me to upgrade later when/if i do decide to go dual monitor?

Let's change it up a bit and allow for a video card with a ~$600 budget. I already have a Windows 7 disc in waiting so that should alleviate some cost.

2.5" drive is a laptop drive. it can't be used in a desktop. no cables for it...

That is changing. Dell is already putting 2.5s in business class machines and server arrays. I see pros and cons to it, but I'd bet the 3.5" drive is going to go the way of floppy disks in the near future.

That is changing. Dell is already putting 2.5s in business class machines and server arrays. I see pros and cons to it, but I'd bet the 3.5" drive is going to go the way of floppy disks in the near future.

I see all drives going the way of floppy disks. ssd is the future. I don't get what's the big stink with everything needs to be small craze.

there's 0 use for a 2.5" drive in a desktop. I can get a 3+ TB drive in the 3.5" size.

and laptops are still somewhat of a joke in terms of price for performance. and the fact even with a high end, name brand unit it's loaded with cheap fox conn chinese garbage parts 3/4 of which cannot be changed out for better stuff. such as the graphics.

for example my brother has a MSI S6000 laptop. core I5 processor and all. it still has a lower windows experience index score than my HP desktop from 2007 with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ processor and 4 gig of gskill ram. my score is a 5.6 is is a 4.5. which he can never achieve higher because the graphics is what's the low score is from. and that was a expensive computer. ($800) I gave $350 for mine at microcenter. it came with vista but I put 64bit 7 ultimate on it. which increased my system performance probably 2 fold. honestly.

Edited by serpentracer

excellent link!

The main problem I have is understanding the lingo to make sure what I'm purchasing will work together. Is there an easy way to understand this or key things to make sure of before committing to purchase?

Didn't notice the 2.5in HD. Since you don't want SSD, swap with whatever 3.5in HD suits you.

As far as the different vendors go, I had no problem approximating that price ordering everything from Newegg or from Microcenter, or a small combination of both.

Yes, with this system you can drop in a standalone vid card if you wanted gaming performance. Your original requirements pointed towards a very stripped down system since there was nothing on there that was incredibly taxing. For what it's worth, I'm running a H67 onboard vid chipset for my HTPC with absolutely zero issues.

I built my last computer about a year ago - got it all new, case, parts, monitor, etc. Got a good copy of Windows 7. All in was less than $450, bought everything at Microcenter, in the store. We have one in Columbus, I know there are others, plus they ship.

I see all drives going the way of floppy disks. ssd is the future. I don't get what's the big stink with everything needs to be small craze.

there's 0 use for a 2.5" drive in a desktop. I can get a 3+ TB drive in the 3.5" size.

and laptops are still somewhat of a joke in terms of price for performance. and the fact even with a high end, name brand unit it's loaded with cheap fox conn chinese garbage parts 3/4 of which cannot be changed out for better stuff. such as the graphics.

for example my brother has a MSI S6000 laptop. core I5 processor and all. it still has a lower windows experience index score than my HP desktop from 2007 with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ processor and 4 gig of gskill ram. my score is a 5.6 is is a 4.5. which he can never achieve higher because the graphics is what's the low score is from. and that was a expensive computer. ($800) I gave $350 for mine at microcenter. it came with vista but I put 64bit 7 ultimate on it. which increased my system performance probably 2 fold. honestly.

I'd agree on both the SSD and laptop thing. The days of paying for the convenience that a laptop brings is outdated given tablet and portable device technology. The only thing holding up SSD proliferation is their ability to build them without pricing themselves out of the market, IMHO.

I'd agree on both the SSD and laptop thing. The days of paying for the convenience that a laptop brings is outdated given tablet and portable device technology. The only thing holding up SSD proliferation is their ability to build them without pricing themselves out of the market, IMHO.

the problem right now with a tablet (I assume you're talking about a Ipad or samsung galaxy etc) is, it's limited to entertainment.

lacking a keyboard and OS that can run programs doesn't make it a real option for someone that needs a real computer to do work with. it's just a large screen smart phone without the phone.

an actual tablet PC, is a lot better. but again, you're looking at a very expensive computer with very limited power and upgrade options.

Edited by serpentracer

Didn't notice the 2.5in HD. Since you don't want SSD, swap with whatever 3.5in HD suits you.

As far as the different vendors go, I had no problem approximating that price ordering everything from Newegg or from Microcenter, or a small combination of both.

Yes, with this system you can drop in a standalone vid card if you wanted gaming performance. Your original requirements pointed towards a very stripped down system since there was nothing on there that was incredibly taxing. For what it's worth, I'm running a H67 onboard vid chipset for my HTPC with absolutely zero issues.

What's the quality of the Asrock motherboards? I can't remember ever using one, so I'm curious, especially with as cheap as they are.

My last system upgrade I got CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and a SSD. CPU is AMD 8120 eight core, motherboard was free with cpu purchase, Gigabyte 970A-UD3. I forget what the ram is other than it's 8 GB and was cheap for a decent name brand. The SSD was around $100 for a 60GB. This was back in February. I think I have about $350 in it right now, using my old video card (9800GT) and several hard drives that I already had for storage (SSD is OS only rive.) Oh, I had to add a SATA DVD drive, too. I reused the rest.