new toy this winter

speedytriple

So we get a profit sharing bonus in december. And i spend a little on myself before the wife gets the rest. I am looking for a new plinker toy this year. Plan is to pick up a .22lr pistol and put a silencer on it. Looking mostly at the ruger sr22, walthers p22. Or the sig/gsg 1911-22. I know lots of you guys have or have shot these looking for pro/cons on the guns and what brand can for the money is worth it. Budget is under $1000.

lots of people love their gsg/sig 1911-22. lots of people also love their p22's. the new hotness is the ruger 22/45 with the threaded barrel and putting a suppressor on that. if you're gonna do the suppressor, just get that going now cause you're gonna be waiting for a LONG time.

i was gonna say... his dogs must be louder than shit cause my p22 outside without ear plugs is ear-ringing loud.

and a suppressed 22 being a giggle machine is right... when we went shooting with tom's 22/45 + can, all 10 people that shot it had a grin from ear to ear and were giggling like 5 year olds. so much fun.

yeah, I'll shoot my 10-22 without ear protection, but I won't shoot a .22 pistol....made that mistake once and that was enough.

I've been thinking of picking up a .22 pistol, but the thought of having to go to a range to shoot kills the idea. Miss being able to shoot off my back porch in PA.:(

So we get a profit sharing bonus in december. .

Where do you work? J/K

I was not too impressed with the Ruger SR22. The grip felt "blocky" I have access to an SR 22 and the GSG 22, we can meet up at Stonewall and you can try it

I plan to get another 22LR pistol and either an AK or .308 Savage bolt action rifle in December.

I have no experience with a supressor anything.

P22 and sr22 are far less than consistant. Need to be cleaned constantly to function. Add the weight and added stress of suppression......

Far better choices, I keep telling you to look away. You are going to buy one and be dissapointed.

waaaaaaaaat

i beat the shit out of my p22. i almost never have non-ammo related failures.

that said, for each story like mine, there will be another story saying exactly the opposite. my colt/walther/umarex 1911-22 has been pretty damn fab as well, but i haven't put more than a few dozen rounds through that yet.

I have a buck mark already. I would put a can on that but would like to pick up a new .22 pistol. Not saying that i might not pick up a tac sol threaded barrel for the buckmark once I get the stamp cleared. So from what I am reading online and reviews I have seen the gsg/sig is looking to be in the lead now.

So we get a profit sharing bonus in december. And i spend a little on myself before the wife gets the rest. I am looking for a new plinker toy this year. Plan is to pick up a .22lr pistol and put a silencer on it. Looking mostly at the ruger sr22, walthers p22. Or the sig/gsg 1911-22. I know lots of you guys have or have shot these looking for pro/cons on the guns and what brand can for the money is worth it. Budget is under $1000.

I have a GSG and a ruger/tacsol setup with a Spectre. You can try it whenever you like. The GSG is probably a tad less finicky than the walthers. Last I heard, ruger still didn't have a threaded option out for the Sr22 despite manuals that indicate it. Think about the MP22 from smith, its prethreaded like the others and uses the p22 thread adapter.

a Ruger/Tacsol setup or buckmark/tacsol will probably be the best, but it can be pricier. Ruger has a new 22/45 lite that mimics the tacsol stuff and its only about $400.

so $400 (ruger lite) +350 for can (sales tax included, its the one I would get if money were no object) +200 for tax stamp will fit your budget.

or $300 (base ruger) + $300 tacsol upper (might be able to get you a better price) + 350 +200 is a bit over. However, that can be easily fixed by explaining to your wife that your bonus was $150 less than expected.