Tell me I'm making the right choice (GTO or GXP)

idodishez

check the Apex seals.. and hope compression is still good or it will need a rebuild.. both seals need to read above 80% to even be worth it.. anything less and its rebuild time.. seals are notorious to go bad after 100K... i loved my rx8.. but i would have never bought it for a daily.. they are shit in the snow.. unless you like to drift everything(not typically a problem but can be) and MPG is shit.. they claim 21.. but you will be lucky to hit 16-18 on the highway.. and thats keeping it low on the 9k rpm tach.. dont forget a few things.. you can flood these cars fairly easy... so if you start it.. let it run for at least 5 mins before shutting it off... so no just hopping in moving it to wash it and shutting it off.. also tho they are no were near as bad at oil cunsumption as the rx7's they do still drink it.. so keep a quart with you and top it off every month

check the Apex seals.. and hope compression is still good or it will need a rebuild.. both seals need to read above 80% to even be worth it.. anything less and its rebuild time.. seals are notorious to go bad after 100K... i loved my rx8.. but i would have never bought it for a daily.. they are shit in the snow.. unless you like to drift everything(not typically a problem but can be) and MPG is shit.. they claim 21.. but you will be lucky to hit 16-18 on the highway.. and thats keeping it low on the 9k rpm tach.. dont forget a few things.. you can flood these cars fairly easy... so if you start it.. let it run for at least 5 mins before shutting it off... so no just hopping in moving it to wash it and shutting it off.. also tho they are no were near as bad at oil cunsumption as the rx7's they do still drink it.. so keep a quart with you and top it off every month

Wow. Depressing mileage stats. Thanks:)

Nobama 2012

maybe you should have researched the car a bit more before just jumping in all gung ho... i mean i've never even CONCIDERED a car before doing all the backgrounding i can about it.. an Rx8 is agreat sports car. its not fast.. unless you FI it but it was more ment to autocross with its 50/50 weight distribution and linear powerband.. but its not a good family car its not great on gas and so on.. again i loved my RX-8 but it wasn't a daily it was a toy. and the bike ended up being better

so hope your seals are good. hope your compression is good.. better yet.. go to a dealer and have it checked for 300 bucks.. if they are down at all.. even from 100-95% or less it effects the oil cunsumption and MPG(dont forget it has to take 91or better).. other than that enjoy your maintenance hog

Was already well aware of most of what you posted. Oil consumers, poor MPG, need more upkeep than conventional cars, not as fast as other cars I was looking at, etc. The rx8 was on my list of cars I was looking at, along w the GTO, G6, G8, Infiniti G35, Nissan 350zx, Audi TT, 3 series Bimmer, C series Benz, etc. Researched the necessities on all. MPG, HP, prices available, basic specs etc. By "thanks for the depressing stats" I was referring to the differences in your mpg specs verses what is posted on Edmunds, fueleconomy.gov etc.

I have driven several hundred miles on my search, and test driven many cars in the last few months looking for a car. Most if not all had issues in some form or another. Signs of body repairs, paint work, mechanical issues, interiors falling apart, $7k worth of hail

damage described as "only minor" in the ad, shady salesman, lackluster looks, didn't grab my attention on test drives, etc. Other than 2 noisy rear tires, I have not found ONE thing wrong w this car. Not one! And I am SUPER picky. Its a 1 owner car w no accident history, and had all maint done at the dealer i bought it from. It is super fun to drive, it doesnt look like every other car out there, it "did it for me" on a test drive, and I paid $1700 less than what they were asking. So, I bought it! Other than wishing it had a bigger trunk, I have no regrets.

Oh, Im single, w a grown son on his own. I don't need a family car.

Nobama 2012

good for you man.. i didnt know the details of your background and didnt wanna assume.. so its typically safe to say the latter.. and honestly ive ran into to many people that think its just a "cool" looking car and well the rest is history.. good luck with it.. Rx8 is sweet ride.

Couldnt find a black/black G35 coupe in decent shape in my 10k range.

Nobama 2012

damn I sold mine at the wrong time, right when their prices bottomed out. Mine was black/black and auto with under 80k on it for like $14.5

I'd have ponied up the extra cash but then again I hate the RX-8 and you'd have to pay me to drive one due to the experience I had with my buddies

The lesson here comes from Aesop's Fables. Specifically, "The old man, the boy and the donkey".

http://www.aesops-fables.org.uk/aesop-fable-the-man-the-boy-and-the-donkey.htm

The moral is that you cannot please everyone. It is your money, your car, your choice. Do what is right for YOU.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The moral is that you cannot please everyone. It is your money, your car, your choice. Do what is right for YOU.

I did;)

Just checked mileage for the first time. 19.4 mpg. Not as bad as I was expecting for city driving w my leadfoot often hitting readline.

Nobama 2012