WTB: Apple Tv 2

Bad324

I don't like the apple tv. for one it does't have any usb ports. so you can't connect external drives or thumbdrives with movies or files on it. or keyboards.

it only plays 3 types of video formats.

and wow talk about a lame choice of content. that's terrible.

I have a western digital streaming player. it has a bunch more features and video format support.

I can use my wireless keyboard with it, use a smartphone for a remote, a external hard drive, a thumbdrive, my computer files (wirelessly) and virtually any video format you might have on your computer etc.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

the roku players are the best out there but they can't access any external stuff like a computer or harddrive. which to me makes them 50% useless

Edited by serpentracer

I don't like the apple tv. for one it does't have any usb ports. so you can't connect external drives or thumbdrives with movies or files on it. or keyboards.

it only plays 3 types of video formats.

and wow talk about a lame choice of content. that's terrible.

I have a western digital streaming player. it has a bunch more features and video format support.

I can use my wireless keyboard with it, use a smartphone for a remote, a external hard drive, a thumbdrive, my computer files (wirelessly) and virtually any video format you might have on your computer etc.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

the roku players are the best out there but they can't access any external stuff like a computer or harddrive. which to me makes them 50% useless

Uhhhhhhhhhhh you haven't really checked out the appleTV at all have you? I can control mine from my phone and stream media to it from both my computer and phone. And hell I can even mirror the screen of my phone, iPad and laptop to my TV. You don't need to plug in a drive to it, everything is wireless. I could go on but I'm sensing you're one of those automatic Apple haters and won't listen anyway.

• Upvote 1

Uhhhhhhhhhhh you haven't really checked out the appleTV at all have you? I can control mine from my phone and stream media to it from both my computer and phone. And hell I can even mirror the screen of my phone, iPad and laptop to my TV. You don't need to plug in a drive to it, everything is wireless. I could go on but I'm sensing you're one of those automatic Apple haters and won't listen anyway.

I know it connects to your computer. but you can only play 3 video formats. H.264, Motion jpeg, mpeg-4. so there's that. you can't use a keyboard(wired or wireless), you can't connect an external drive or a thumbdrive. can you browse the computer for these drives attached to your computer?

what does the wd player play?

AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)

audio:

apple,

•HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

wd,

MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS

photos:

apple,

•JPEG, GIF, TIFF

wd,

JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG

and what does apple offer for online content?

8 sources

wd,

30 sources.

roku wipes the floor of everyone with online content. the only neg part about a roku it it doesn't connect to your computer.

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

Edited by serpentracer

stream to me app + apple tv = win and cures all those problems not to mention jailbreaking opens it up even further but you're already against that

and if you're "not an apple hater" why are you in every single apple thread posted in the history of the internet trying to convince people otherwise? it's clear he's done his research and come to a logical conclusion, this is just you starting a pissing contest now.

in a way, you're basically calling him and every other apple owner an idiot for not agreeing with you. do you honestly believe we have not done research into these topics to come to our own conclusion? do you think maybe once you could not interject a thread with your demeaning attitude towards any Apple owner (or future owner)?

We all get it that droids rule and you're cool.

Edited by natedogg624

just pointing out the lack of features.

picking a good rounded player is confusing when you don't have one to play with and know what you would like and don't need.

I've returned quite a few of them myself before i kept the wd player.

roku

apple tv

sony google tv wireless player

wd streaming player.

Edited by serpentracer

show me where it says they do. I had one. and no it didn't.

I actually have one, right now.

Do you, or are you just reading on teh intarwebz?

I can (and do) stream from whatever is on my network (Mac, iOS, Linux, Windows, iTunes) or plug in an external or thumb drive.

I can (and have) browse/play dropbox files.

• Upvote 1

I actually have one, right now.

Do you, or are you just reading on teh intarwebz?

I can (and do) stream from whatever is on my network (Mac, iOS, Linux, Windows, iTunes) or plug in an external or thumb drive.

I can (and have) browse/play dropbox files.

cnet says it doesn't. the XS is their best one. maybe they did a firmware upgrade? they dont mention it on their website either. nore does the boxes at the store.

Roku 2 XS doesn't currently support DLNA access (streaming media from networked PCs), and USB file support is very limited.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/roku-2-xs/4505-6739_7-34850104.html

My 2 year old cousin plays this game.

Please tell us why everything, that isn't something you own, is worthless and the owners are idiotic?

And yes I do but that's neither here nor there and it's no use with you.

I think the game your cousin plays is the one you are playing. you don't like the fact I proved how limited your loved apple tv is.

for the record, i gave my atv2 to my parents because i found something i like better but i don't inject my unnecessary opinion in everyone's threads.

how do you come to a conclusion I'm injecting opinions showing facts/stats of two units?

maybe he never seen or heard of the wd player.

hows this, here are a few things that makes this player a bad choice,

1. it often freezes up requiring a restart. pretty damn annoying.

2. the remote buttons ink is rubbing off and I cant read some of them anymore. I have programmed my logitech harmony remote to use instead because the wd remote is kind of shitty.

but they've been updating it every few months since I've owned it. it's menu and funtions are much better than it was out of the box.

Edited by serpentracer

how do you come to a conclusion I'm injecting opinions showing facts/stats of two units?

because I didn't ask for other units or what you "THINK" the ATV2 can or can't do. This is why I said WTB Apple TV 2, not WTB streaming media player :nono:

I know what it can do and it is everything that I need and want

with a 10 minute process I can make everything you say completely wrong

I know it connects to your computer. but you can only play 3 video formats. H.264, Motion jpeg, mpeg-4.

false

you can't use a keyboard(wired or wireless),

yes you can but I really don't have a need for that either

you can't connect an external drive or a thumbdrive.

don't need to and don't have any thumbdrives

can you browse the computer for these drives attached to your computer?

yup

I have 2 1080p apple TVs, 1 720p apple TV and an airport express. I like the interface and simplicity a lot but the main thing that I really love. AirPlay. I've got a huge music collection and being able to stream it everywhere including to my garage is fantastic.

Not to mention streaming youtube and other content from your iPad or iPhone.

• Upvote 1

with a 10 minute process I can make everything you say completely wrong

false

yes you can but I really don't have a need for that either

don't need to and don't have any thumbdrives

yup

hey asshole, ask before you use my blockquoter. :)

Have you considered rolling your own? I've built a few HTPC's with networked cable tuner and Windows Media Center, only catch is it costs about $500 instead of the hundy or so for ATV. If you're interested I have no problem hooking you up with a parts list.

hey asshole, ask before you use my blockquoter. :)

Have you considered rolling your own? I've built a few HTPC's with networked cable tuner and Windows Media Center, only catch is it costs about $500 instead of the hundy or so for ATV. If you're interested I have no problem hooking you up with a parts list.

I actually did consider it and researched a bit into it. I ended up on the apple tv route after using my buddies for a few hours and then trying out my parents roku. Decided just to go the easier (to me) and cheaper route for now