WTB: Apple Tv 2

Bad324

I actually did consider it and researched a bit into it. I ended up on the apple tv route after using my buddies for a few hours and then trying out my parents roku. Decided just to go the easier (to me) and cheaper route for now

I need to get my hands on someone's roku/ATV to try it out. I'm honestly a little skeptical, but that's probably because I've never seen one in person and played with it. I opted instead for something I was already comfortable with and could easily control/set-up. No worries brah.

hey asshole, ask before you use my blockquoter. :)

Have you considered rolling your own? I've built a few HTPC's with networked cable tuner and Windows Media Center, only catch is it costs about $500 instead of the hundy or so for ATV. If you're interested I have no problem hooking you up with a parts list.

Not really apples to apples (no pun intended) in this comparison. I ran an MythTV for about 4 years before home DVRs became popular. I still haven't seen much that is as good as that software. I can only imagine it's better at this point.

I had/have a first-gen ATV I got used... the kind with the 40 gig HD. I hacked it or whatever to load another media center app alongside the software already on there that let me connect to my home network and browse my other computers for media files. It also played other codecs. I loved it and had no problems with it... I eventually migrated away from the ATV because I ended up hooking up an old laptop up to my TV and using that instead. Still have the Apple TV and loved the ease of use and simplicity.

The Roku has better out of the box features IMO. The apple tv NEEDS to be jailbroken to even compete with other media players. Yeah it does AirPlay but that's really the only feature it had over a Roku and that's coming from an apple fanboy. Download plex media server on a network pc/Mac and let it organize your media. By far one of the best media streaming apps out there. It took my 300GB of video and 50GB of music and downloaded all the movie posters, descriptions, ratings, correct names and organized it to be displayed/played on the Roku or any other device on the network. Also plays pretty much all formats.

The Roku has better out of the box features IMO. The apple tv NEEDS to be jailbroken to even compete with other media players. Yeah it does AirPlay but that's really the only feature it had over a Roku and that's coming from an apple fanboy. Download plex media server on a network pc/Mac and let it organize your media. By far one of the best media streaming apps out there. It took my 300GB of video and 50GB of music and downloaded all the movie posters, descriptions, ratings, correct names and organized it to be displayed/played on the Roku or any other device on the network. Also plays pretty much all formats.

That's the thing though, I don't want to have a full PC running all the time, my power bill is high enough as it is. The HTPC is the closest thing I have to that, and it goes into C3 standby when I'm not using it so that's out. Thought about getting a Synology NAS and running that, but I don't want to blow the $600 for the NAS + decent HD's.

I've got a Roku that's collecting dust. Unfortunately for my power bill, I have a PC that's on 24/7...mainly because I'm always using it, but also to stream movies to my PS3 with PS3 Media Server. I haven't found anything that can handle transcoding like PS3MS, but then again I haven't done much looking lately. Since my PC is already on, I just let it handle the streaming duties.

This xmas I'm going to build a small footprint energy-friendly PC to move this stuff to.

That's the thing though, I don't want to have a full PC running all the time, my power bill is high enough as it is. The HTPC is the closest thing I have to that, and it goes into C3 standby when I'm not using it so that's out. Thought about getting a Synology NAS and running that, but I don't want to blow the $600 for the NAS + decent HD's.

Well if you want to use your own media, there isn't much you can do with either the atv or Roku without having a server of some kind. The server application does not use much resources so it can run on an existing pc that you already have turned on.

The top Roku model does have a USB port but it's limited on file support.

I might have to check out plex media server. I agree about the roku but I guess I'm just really integrated (in bed) with apple iOS devices. When Airplay first came out I was sold. I don't use the stuff for much else other than movie rental occasionally and netflix viewing.

I might have to check out plex media server. I agree about the roku but I guess I'm just really integrated (in bed) with apple iOS devices. When Airplay first came out I was sold. I don't use the stuff for much else other than movie rental occasionally and netflix viewing.

I have all apple devices and I still went with a Roku. You can also stream amazon, hbogo, epix and Vimeo if you subscribe to any of those services.

I don't know how iTunes does video purchases or where they store them after purchase, but you just need to point plex to the location of the media and it will index it automatically and add it to your library.

Well if you want to use your own media, there isn't much you can do with either the atv or Roku without having a server of some kind. The server application does not use much resources so it can run on an existing pc that you already have turned on.

The top Roku model does have a USB port but it's limited on file support.

Yep, I'm aware that I've got to have some sort of centralize file server. I just bought a Raspberry Pi, maybe I'll fuck around with R-Pi NAS and see what the performance turns out to be.

I have all apple devices and I still went with a Roku. You can also stream amazon, hbogo, epix and Vimeo if you subscribe to any of those services.

I don't know how iTunes does video purchases or where they store them after purchase, but you just need to point plex to the location of the media and it will index it automatically and add it to your library.

its funny as I actually opted with the apple tv 2 over the roku for the jailbreaking feature to do all that plus some. Jailbreaking should be fairly simple and I have a laundry list of apps and programs. Plex is one of them!

its funny as I actually opted with the apple tv 2 over the roku for the jailbreaking feature to do all that plus some. Jailbreaking should be fairly simple and I have a laundry list of apps and programs. Plex is one of them!

You can't do hbogo which was the major selling point for me since I am addicted to boardwalk empire. Didn't really look into plex on it since hbo disqualified it from my options from the get go.

You can't do hbogo which was the major selling point for me since I am addicted to boardwalk empire. Didn't really look into plex on it since hbo disqualified it from my options from the get go.

even with the jailbreak?

doesnt really matter to me on that as I don't subscribe to hbo and torrents exist ;)

with a 10 minute process I can make everything you say completely wrong

false

yes you can but I really don't have a need for that either

don't need to and don't have any thumbdrives

yup

so is this right out of the box or do you have to jailbreak it? and exactly how do you use a keyboard or an external drive on it without a usb port?

you have to leave your computer on 24/7 just to access shit?

just admit it it's a stripped down media player.

Edited by serpentracer

I don't care what it does out of the box. Within 15 minutes it will do everything I want and need it to do so it doesn't really matter what you think or say

Honestly even if it was something I knew zero about, you'd be the 2nd last person on the board I'd listen to. Sorry

the roku players are the best out there but they can't access any external stuff like a computer or harddrive. which to me makes them 50% useless

Not true. Install PLEX from the roku channel store and then install the server on your PC. Access to all your hard drive goodness. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...