the most redneck repair ever.

Gixxus Christ!

So my buddy Jamal (malaysianinvasion) had a loose plug in his katana streetfighter and didn't know it and eventually the plug stripped the threads out of the head. The bike sat in my garage for a few weeks while he tried to find a deal on a head, then a co-worker gave me an idea: metalset. Metalset is basically the industrial version of jb weld. 2-part epoxy with aluminum powder mixed in. We figured fuck it, worst case is it doesn't work and we ha e to replace the head. Best case, it gets him through the season and his bike out of my garage.

It was a success! I didn't have much faith in it but he just rode out of here firing on all 4. I was worried that it wouldn't ground the plug against the head because epoxy is an insulator, but the shit worked. Thoughts? Criticisms?

I have seen a bike with stripped plug work for 1000's of miles. They just used a aluminum strap to hold the spark plug cap down. I was shocked when they had me do a tune up and said to put it back that way its "fine" lol. to this day bike is still riding!

I have seen a bike with stripped plug work for 1000's of miles. They just used a aluminum strap to hold the spark plug cap down. I was shocked when they had me do a tune up and said to put it back that way its "fine" lol. to this day bike is still riding!

That's crazy, you'd think it would loose compression.

craziest thing I've seen in this regard. A friend of mine, who is a little poor, got a Ford Aerostar V6 minivan. one of the plugs on it was stripped, in stead of trying to repair it, someone too a very large bolt and force threaded into the hole to close it up. The van just ran on 5 cylinders, while sending fuel to all 6 and got terrible gas mileage.

Holy fuck on the v-5 van, that's just funny. I hope this fix lasts him long enough to tear the bike down and fix it proper.

Yah, the van was a sad state of affairs, he was always running out of gas on the way to places because he'd put $5 in at a time, while getting single digit mileage.

Yah, the van was a sad state of affairs, he was always running out of gas on the way to places because he'd put $5 in at a time, while getting single digit mileage.

Unplug the fuel injector so it quits spraying gas in that cylinder? Also, a v6 running on 5 cylinders is shaky as fuck. Had a coil go out on a Ford v6 once and that thing shook the entire car like it was on hydros.

Isaac's papa wanted $600 to helicoil it. There was really no thread left, you could just push the plug in with your finger. Also, helicoil requires removing the head, and If I'm going that far I'd just as soon replace it than trust a helicoil.

Yeah, idgaf what they say, when you're cutting that seat and running that tap in there, some chips are going to find their way into the motor. I guess you could rotate it to tdc and shoot shop air in there to blow them out but I wouldn't trust it.

Yeah, idgaf what they say, when you're cutting that seat and running that tap in there, some chips are going to find their way into the motor. I guess you could rotate it to tdc and shoot shop air in there to blow them out but I wouldn't trust it.

Old school trick: rotate to BDC, fill with shaving cream, drill and tap, crank motor.

You can also grease or wax the tap. You completely fill the flutes in the tap with very thick grease or some soft wax. You want something about as thick as peanut butter. It takes a while but you turn it in one turn and then back it all the way out and clean the chips. Keep that up until you have cut the new threads. The shaving cream is good also but a would rather not let any metal into the cylinder to start with.

Good idea with the shaving cream. Although from junk I've seen in tearing down engines, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about aluminum inside a steel combustion chamber. It gets beat up, smashed, and usually thrown out the exhaust. Although bigger pieces can get hammered over on the edge of a domed piston and get stuck there.

edit: or... turn the engine upside down and tap it from the bottom! Then use a vacuum cleaner to finish up.

Edited by ReconRat

I have always used Sil-Glyde or Vaseline on the tap and done the Heli-Coil or Timesert without taking the head off (on cars/trucks at least).

yep. did this on my mustang with no issues at all.

used vaseline on the tap, wiped it off every now and then....whatever falls in will just get spit out the exhaust anyways (aluminum head)