Fall colors?

SquareHead

What would you all suggest for some fall color riding in Ohio. Looking to ride in either a swath south of US 30, east of I-71, north of Ohio river...

Not looking for tight technical riding like 555, more like 2 lane sweepers with nice views, leaves changing, etc.

Thanks!

P.S. Had some nice riding on both sides of the Ohio river from Cincinatti to Evansville, IN last week. Some very pretty riding between Madison, IN and Rising Sun, IN. Rising Sun is a very nice little town...

St Rt 78 has some excellent views and a really nice pull off at the top of the ridge that allows for group pictures and gives the best view of the entire valley. While down that way a stop off around Big Muskie has some more impressive views. Far as farther south around the river i havent a clue.

If you can get littlecarbsbigsmiles to send you a copy of the route he put together for Leaf Tour 2012, your work would be done.

Edit: Oops, never mind, he already did that and it's right here, see message #35. And just above that you can see a few photos I shot.

Edited by motociclista

56 between Bloomfield and 278. Do a loop by hitting 374 (hocking). 278 south from 56. All of those are heavily wooded and would be a nice scenic ride with nice places to stop and enjoy scenery.

Mary

I'd also add Thompson Ridge(off of 374),Big Pine between 374 and 664,Illsboro-Ceder Falls between 374 and 93.

If you ride Illsboro-Ceder Falls stop in the wind chime shop about mid way.It's an interesting little store with some amazingly beautiful wind chime tones.

In a totally different area...northeast of Marietta...255 is a great fall colors ride.Dalzell Rd from 821 to 565 is also very pretty in fall.

Edited by drc32-0

I'd also add Thompson Ridge(off of 374),Big Pine between 374 and 664,Illsboro-Ceder Falls between 374 and 93.

If you ride Illsboro-Ceder Falls stop in the wind chime shop about mid way.It's an interesting little store with some amazingly beautiful wind chime tones.

In a totally different area...northeast of Marietta...255 is a great fall colors ride.Dalzell Rd from 821 to 565 is also very pretty in fall.

I would trust this guy 100% always accurate and uptodate on road conditions

Our typical fall route goes something like this:

33 south to 374 south out of rockbridge

Follow 374 to 664 towards South Bloomingville

Take 56 east out of South Bloomingville into Athens (you can cut it short here if you like and head up 278 into Nelsonville, then jump on 78 there)

Take 550 out of Athens to 13 north

13 north to 78 north out of Glouster

78 to 555 north to 37 east in New Lex

37 back to Lancaster

Just got back from a ~400 mile trip. Back roads to SR 97 through Lexington, Bellville, Butler, Mohican. Picked up 39 in Loudonville through Millersburg, Berlin (crowded) to 800 in New Philadelphia. 800 down to 22. 22 to Cadiz. 9 North out of Cadiz to US 30, dinner in Wooster, some back roads back to Upper Sandusky.

Nice colors, leaves peaking? I am never going on 39 Berlin to New Philly. I hate that section. I have done it before and I always regret it. No More!! It is so crowded and touristy...

Anyhow, I was really shocked at the amount of construction and oil drilling traffic that we encountered on the bottom half of 800 and it was much worse on SR22 and SR9. They are doing a huge amount of new oil drilling in that area. Quite a few places with loose stone, slop from water trucks, etc. Lots of flaggers, one lane closed, etc. They were moving in oil rigs, eqiupment etc. I don't have a good feeling about riding motorcycles in that area and it will probably get worse...

Thanks for your replies and I will be using other routes you have suggested in the future.

Regards,

Chris

I definitely think fall color is peaking now. Rode 220 miles yesterday Coshocton area and it was gorgeous.

83 from North Ridgeville to Roscoe Village. 541 to 60 to 520 to 517 to 60. The pavement and road conditions were surprisingly good for this time of year. Very little debris in the turns. I haven't done 520 in ages and had forgotten that it was a decent road and the trees and views were quite nice.

Mary

at the last nelson race during the 600 sprint, the lot of us were entering the carousel and at just the right moment, the wind picked up and a bunch of leaves were flying through the air as we were pitching it in. amaaaaaziiiiing

A couple fall colors pics of newly paved 685 near Nelsonville...

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

I love fall riding in s.e.o.!

I know exactly where that is at absolutely love that road. It's really becoming one of my favorites. Thanks for suggesting it in the spring! Great pics!

Mary

Us northeast Ohioans don't really have too much.

Last Sunday, though, I did a little quickie ride, taking Chagrin River Rd from Willoughby to Solon. Took about half an hour, and there were some stop signs... but man there is some pretty country out that way. Came around a bend to see a steep forested hill on my right, a rocky stream to my left, sunlight filtering down through overhanging trees. Gorgeous.

Took a 200 mile ride today. Road SR 95 from Butler up to Wooster, had lunch, lots of side trips. I don't see many people talk about riding SR95, but this is a beautiful stretch of road. Hills, turns, trees, etc. Watch out for Amish buggy's and horse crap.

Chris