Looking for Z400 or equivalent sport quad

max power

Trying to find a reasonably priced sport quad 400cc or larger with reverse. Must be in good stock mechanical condition. Not interested in overbores or track ATV's.

Willing to trade 2001 Warrior in very good condition + cash for the right bike.

Whatcha got?

I'm thinking they started putting reverse in the 400ex's in 04. I have a 03 unfortunately. But once you ride for a while without it, you don't put yourself in the situation where you would need it. I really don't miss it anymore.

I'm thinking they started putting reverse in the 400ex's in 04. I have a 03 unfortunately. But once you ride for a while without it, you don't put yourself in the situation where you would need it. I really don't miss it anymore.

My 04 does not have it.

A 400ex feels like a 250 compared to any other 400, not even in the same class of machine

This is true. My z400 blows my 400ex out of the water.

Yes, the stock auto-cam chain adjuster is known to prematurely stretch the chain. Also, the stock air filter is crap and lets in too much dust. It doesn't make a good seal around the airbox. The dust gets in and wears out the hard coating on the cheap valves, and then they get cupped.

If you are finding them that are rebuilt with stainles valves (usually "kibblewhite" or "ferrea" brand) and new cam chains with manual tensioners, the person has just saved you a lot of work and made it way more reliable. The next thing to do is get rid of that stock air filter and get a clamp-on style.

Im constantly having to work on my z400, something always seems to Fuck up on it. It is apart currently so I can put new rings in it because it turned into a fog machine last ride. 400 ex is a cold blooded machine but seems to be solid, beside the small hole in the tyre lol.

Sent from my Commando, using your mom.

It's usually just the intake valves that go since that is where the dirt gets sucked in. But most will replace the exhaust valves while they're in there.

If you get one the first thing I would do is get a manual cam chain tensioner, or you can mod the auto tensioner. A lot of people including myself have had good luck taking the stock tensioner apart and cutting about 1/4" off the spring inside. The next thing you should do is join SuzukiCentral.com for everything you want to know about a z400.

Yes, the stock auto-cam chain adjuster is known to prematurely stretch the chain. Also, the stock air filter is crap and lets in too much dust. It doesn't make a good seal around the airbox. The dust gets in and wears out the hard coating on the cheap valves, and then they get cupped.

If you are finding them that are rebuilt with stainles valves (usually "kibblewhite" or "ferrea" brand) and new cam chains with manual tensioners, the person has just saved you a lot of work and made it way more reliable. The next thing to do is get rid of that stock air filter and get a clamp-on style.

Someone has told him this before:rolleyes:..lol

Im constantly having to work on my z400, something always seems to Fuck up on it. It is apart currently so I can put new rings in it because it turned into a fog machine last ride. 400 ex is a cold blooded machine but seems to be solid, beside the small hole in the tyre lol.

Sent from my Commando, using your mom.

I don't know if your 400ex has any jet work done, but going to a size 42 pilot jet took care of my cold blooded issues.

just like everything else the more you ride through the mud, dust, water, rocks and ramp off of hills and all around beat them to death(like we do) your going to have to work on and put money into just about anything, i think your warrior does just fine compared to my Z if i were going to upgrade it would be to a independent rear suspension like Mick's that thing is aces

I have ridden the piss out of that Warrior For 11 years and never had to touch the motor.

If the motor isnt reliable I have no faith in the machine and it is out of the running for consideration. Maybe I need to start looking for an 05 400 ex.

Edited by max power