Iron Pony and MotorcycleCloseouts.com

99FLHRCI

I went to Iron Pony last week to pick up my first helmet. I walked in intending to get something fairly cheap, but not stupid cheap (my head is worth more then $29.99, at least I think it is). As I was looking around, I was quickly greeted and given a basic overview of helmets within my budget. The employee (sorry didn't get his name) helped my wife and I try on helmets and assure proper fitment. He even went and got his helmet to show us proper fit. I ended up buying a helmet for me that night (Bell Vortex). I went home and started surfing the net to compare prices out of curiosity. I stumbled across http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ They had the same helmet but with a pattern I liked better for literally half the price. I ordered the helmet and received it within 5 days (including a weekend). I will definitely be returning to Iron Pony in the future due to their great service. I did return the helmet I bought do to the huge price difference but, I will be picking the wife's helmet up from them soon since it is the same price everywhere I find it.

Thanks again for the great service!

Congrats on learning that iron pony is a rape house.

And even more so impressed that you got a full face, owning a harley. I'm glad you care about your noggin.

I don't know about a rape house. It is hard to find a current Bell Vortex for under $179.99 that they were charging. However, last years model with the Greaser graphics (pin stripe) was available for $99.99 online and I liked it better then this years graphics or plain black. They seemed to have a lot of great closeout stuff. Also, nothing beats knowledge, customer service, and being able to try things on. I will be going back to shop their sale stuff again soon.

Brick and mortar stores generally do have higher prices...for good reason. They have more overhead like paying sales clerks who assist customers in sizing so they can go buy it cheaper online. :rolleyes: I'm all for getting a killer deal online, but I'll also pay a little more at the local shops so they'll still be around when I need something TODAY.

I've only been to IP a handful of times because it's just not that close but I've found them to be anything from a rape house. Certainly better prices than most of the dealer shops.

I will definitely be returning to Iron Pony in the future due to their great service.

Maybe next time you will buy something from them and keep it. Great services isn't free. How many helmets did the online store let you try on, how much time did they spend talking to you about your needs. That advice is not free. You are certainly welcome to buy online (I do too, and buy a lot from IP). If I go to IP to try on helmets and get their advice then I buy it there. I have a moral obligation to treat them as well as they treat me. I payed full list for my Shoe NeoTec from them. But if I had not been at that store I never would have had that helmet on and know how well it fits me and how awesome it is. I would have ended up with something far less awesome.

I have dropped some cash in that place, but if you want to try something on and make sure it fits and you like it, its the price you pay.

I am probably stopping in there within the next few days to pick a pair of Icon boots, they are the same price in store and on Ebay/online.

I have several of their "Free" t-shirts.

Most of their current line prices are at or near MSRP. I've bought current stuff and closeout stuff from them, and had great service when I needed it. I know a couple people that used to work there that didn't have the greatest things to say about them, but I doubt either person would tell me to not shop there.

Rape house may have been severe. I understand the need for slightly increased prices, with overhead. But, they are also a dealer, and service shop as well. They're not hurting for money.

if it's a small business, then yes. I will support them.

I do like ip's selection. Oh, and I also bought a greaser vortex from motorcyclecloseouts. :-)

I have been back and forth on Iron Pony..

the good:

biggest in stock inventory period

friendly knowledgeable staff

huge closeout selection

HUUUUUUGE helmet selection

the bad:

prices on current items always at msrp

sometimes certain things not in stock (so you still have to wait for parts some times)

very low inventory of race gear (track suits, pucks, back protectors)

i completely understand the fact that they have overhead on sales people, building, lights, heat, a/c, etc.

thats alot of bills to cover.

buuut, they could discount some stuff to MAP pricing. there is retail and MAP pricing. Map pricing really isnt that much cheaper than Retail, but it will give the customers they are loosing a bit more reason to want to buy from them.

IRon Pony isnt going anywhere, its the only place you can go get something you need in a hurry right at that moment.

i enjoy going there and shooting the shit with derek, and he has helped me alot down there, as well as some other staff there.

in this society everyone wants a deal, and for anyone to say they would rather pay 10 - 20 % more for an item plus tax just to support pony is a liar.

if its something i can wait for, i call riders discount, or have used motorcyclesuperstore.com but i have spent my fair share of thousands of dollars at Pony as well.

i know how hard it is to compete with online companies and how much of an advantage they have over local places.

keep up what your doing Iron Pony, and maybe give the customers your loosing a reason to shop with you.

Ill be a Pony customer for a long time, they are jsut to convenient!

their more attractive female staff should dress more scantily like

a frequent shopper program might help too. for a while there, i was spending quite a bit with them, especially when i had just gotten into the whole bikes thing

• 4 weeks later...
I went to Iron Pony last week to pick up my first helmet. I walked in intending to get something fairly cheap, but not stupid cheap (my head is worth more then $29.99, at least I think it is). As I was looking around, I was quickly greeted and given a basic overview of helmets within my budget. The employee (sorry didn't get his name) helped my wife and I try on helmets and assure proper fitment. He even went and got his helmet to show us proper fit. I ended up buying a helmet for me that night (Bell Vortex). I went home and started surfing the net to compare prices out of curiosity. I stumbled across http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ They had the same helmet but with a pattern I liked better for literally half the price. I ordered the helmet and received it within 5 days (including a weekend). I will definitely be returning to Iron Pony in the future due to their great service. I did return the helmet I bought do to the huge price difference but, I will be picking the wife's helmet up from them soon since it is the same price everywhere I find it.

Thanks again for the great service!

Cheapass moves like this only serve to insure that retail stores that assume the cost of display inventory and customer service will disappear if they get "shopped" and purchase made elsewhere. Iron Pony provided a service to you and that service may have been the up-charge on that helmet.

We have to support the guys that support us and keep the money in the community.