Pistol range open

cmh_sprint

I got lots of ideas for reactive targets. :)

Just a slight word of caution when using steel targets for close range, (15yds or so) stay away from jacketed rounds as the copper will eventually come back in your direction.You are going to be much safer buying LRN for your steel shooting. Or make sure you have good eye protection and that your insurance is up to date:). I also prefer steel targets angled stationary vs the reactive ones. The swinging ones will occasionally be at an upward angle and with fast follow up shots, the ricochet rounds will sometimes not go (preferably) down into the ground.

Just a slight word of caution when using steel targets for close range, (15yds or so) stay away from jacketed rounds as the copper will eventually come back in your direction.You are going to be much safer buying LRN for your steel shooting. Or make sure you have good eye protection and that your insurance is up to date:). I also prefer steel targets angled stationary vs the reactive ones. The swinging ones will occasionally be at an upward angle and with fast follow up shots, the ricochet rounds will sometimes not go (preferably) down into the ground.

Don't worry we always shoot at an angle to the target, wear safety gear and the targets themselves are now all bent to face down at and angle.;)

So uncle matt when is the family cook out\gun meet:D

Probably in the spring. It needs some work. I cut it out of old farm land that has not had anything done to it on over 10 years.

In! Will Den Momma be making snacks?

Den Momma will make treats for you. I told her she needs to join OR and use that as her screen name. :)

Sweet! Too bad Marysville is 3 hours away. What are you shooting.

Just shooting her .380 right now. I am currently sans handgun.

Broke the range in this afternoon. We put 50 rounds through the Bersa. Nice gun and best of all she likes it.

Den Momma putting her first round down range, first time she had ever shot a gun.

086oa.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what kind of backstop are you shooting into?

I'd like to eventually have some land where I can ride, shoot, paintball, etc., but the logistics of creating a suitable backstop have always struck me as somewhat cost-prohibitive, unless there's a natural elevation change that makes such precautions unnecessary.

In the alternative, I was reading either North Ridgeville or North Olmstead's bow-hunting ordinance, and they require ALL shooting to be done from a stand that is 8' or taller.

I presume this is to create a downward trajectory for all arrows, and thus make over-flight a non-issue. Why wouldn't the same principle work for firearms?

Building an 8' platform is probably less expensive than moving several tons of dirt to create an artificial backstop, no?

just thinking out loud I guess.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of backstop are you shooting into?

I'd like to eventually have some land where I can ride, shoot, paintball, etc., but the logistics of creating a suitable backstop have always struck me as somewhat cost-prohibitive, unless there's a natural elevation change that makes such precautions unnecessary.

In the alternative, I was reading either North Ridgeville or North Olmstead's bow-hunting ordinance, and they require ALL shooting to be done from a stand that is 8' or taller.

I presume this is to create a downward trajectory for all arrows, and thus make over-flight a non-issue. Why wouldn't the same principle work for firearms?

Building an 8' platform is probably less expensive than moving several tons of dirt to create an artificial backstop, no?

just thinking out loud I guess.

There is a natural hill that is the back stop. I have some work to do to make it a bit safer. Behind the hill is a 100 acres of farm field. The closest structure is over a mile away.