Fall weather advice

Exarch

I have a few questions about riding in the fall, I know fall isn't over yet, but the leaves are just now starting to fall. How much of an issue are leaves on the ground? I ask this because I have no choice but to ride through tons of leaves on the way to work, the road I take only leads to my work and no placd else, so no one cleans them up. Are dry leaves a problem? I haven't had any issues so far moving around on the dry leaves. Wet leaves seem a little slick, but how slick are they? I had to stop on some wet leaves today so I just gave myself extra stopping room so that wasn't an issue, but is that something I should be concerned about?

Riding in the rain, especially at night is somewhat an issue for me aswell. I have been riding with my visor up(I know, I'm a dumbass for that) because I cannot see out my visor at all. I just squint my eyes and hope I don't get hit by any rocks... Would rainex be a good solution? What method do you use?

How big of an issue is riding on cold ground? Does it effect your stopping distance? I never thought of this till I read a thread telling people to be careful on a group ride due to the ground being could, but nothing else was mentioned about the adverse effects of the cold.

Any other fall riding tips? I just want to be safe out there and I'm sure there are some other newer riders on here with these same questions, but they don't want to feel like a total noob for asking.

Anything thats not asphalt or concrete, be cautious on it. You never know how much traction you need until you run out......so play it safe if its wet, leaf covered, anything else thats unfavorable.......slowing down and taking your time only costs you THAT time instead of parts, paintwork, medical, etc.

I use a simple spray on detailer for my visor. Water does collect on it when its raining or foggy, but just keep your eyes on the road while you slowly turn your head left and right to allow the wind to blow the water off each side.

You're doing it right by riding cautiously when you're unsure of the surface conditions, but you're doing it wrong when riding with your visor up. Try some anti-fog on the inside and maybe RainX or detailer on the outside of it to help shear beading water

:plus1: on turning your head side to side in the rain. Figured that out one day and have implemented it ever since :D

I also have used rainX and it didn't really seem to work (still have the stuff for my car) usually just crack the visor (not even a full click) and that helps A LOT!

:plus1: on turning your head side to side in the rain. Figured that out one day and have implemented it ever since :D

I also have used rainX and it didn't really seem to work (still have the stuff for my car) usually just crack the visor (not even a full click) and that helps A LOT!

My bell has a notch on the visor lock that clicks it open half a click... Awesome for beating the fog

I don't know if my Scorpion has it specifically designed but it seems to have a half click only from closed :dunno:

Works great though!

Sometimes if I've been sitting at a light and it fogs really bad I just open it for about a quarter to half a mile to de fog it. Helps wake ya up too :lol:

once im riding i dont need it.....this bell does not seal very well....its comfortable as shit, more so than my shoei was....but the build quality (while still very nice) isnt at the same level....my next helmet will be a shoei again.....wind noise and air leaks around the visor are too much with the bell....makes it a pain riding in cold weather because the wind gets in and dries out my eyes, even with all the vents and visor closed

In addition to wet leaves, I would also caution you to keep an eye out for spilled grain and mud tracked on the road by farmers leaving fields. With the wet weather, the farmers have been making a mess of the roads in my area. Lot's of mud, debris, etc.

Good questions to ask at this time of year. It's true that dry leaves on pavement are worse than plain dry pavement; wet leaves on the road are MUCH worse than plain wet road. With respect to temperature--in general--the friction loss from cold pavement is due more to the tires themselves being cold and having lower coefficient of friction (same reason why racers use tire warmers prior to a race). Typically, tires that have been compounded for street use are safe to use in cooler temps and wet weather. If you are one who likes the sticky race compound tires for street riding, beware--those don't play well on the street in less than ideal conditions. In general, use more restraint when braking and cornering, keep your hooning down to a dull roar, and slow down and enjoy the colors of fall riding. We'll be cursing the cold and rain and sleet and ice and snow all too soon!

Another piece of advice: get yourself some decent, warm, rain gear. Riding when you're cold, shivering and miserable not only sucks, but it's unsafe too. Check out online MC discount shops like Jaffrum for reasonably priced clothing on sale at this time of year.

Edited by Bubba

When riding on leaves ride it like your riding on ice. Slow and steady on all controls. Keeping your visor clean is the biggest factor with fog + rain other than the weather. Even if it looks somewhat clean the oils and other road grime will make the rain smear instead of bead up. Cracking the visor barely open helps with fog but if you do it in the rain a lot your helmet may start to stink. To clear the rain I turn my head to the side a couple times and that normally works. Also if your visor is kind of old it may be more prone to rain smearing and fogging.

The novus 1 I use to clean my shields seems to make water bead off it.

Slowing down really helps. You just can't run as fast considering all the dangers riding in the fall brings. I used to have a set of deer alerts on my kawasaki and I do believe they helped. Never hit one!.....lol....yeh I know, but I did see deer standing off the side of the road swing their head up when I got near, then turn and run back into the brush. The Kaw is relatively quiet so I don't really think it was the noise that scared them off. My helmet and shield was on so they couldn't see my face......lol......so that wasn't it....lol

Edited by ohiomike

Deer.......watch the deer.......everything else is a non issue.

We don't have any deer crossing signs where I live thankfully, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the advice, I keep my visor cracked and that helps with the fog issue, I'll try turning my head next time I ride in the rain.

• Upvote 1

Don't make the mistake thinking deer aren't around. I've seen them in urban areas with nothing but housing around. When they get spooked they run where ever they want.

Sure, but they still have no way of crossing the road.

http://ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=99165&highlight=deer+crossing

I'm guessing you haven't seen this thread lol.

GO BLUE!

At least its just deer there. Out here there is open range cattle and the areas that aren't open range they still get out onto the road. The big ones only worry me around blind curves they don't dart into the road or run when you get close. It's the young ones that are scary. They will be laying beside the road then as soon as you get close they get spooked and run right infront of you. One day I had 2 about 200 lbs. Each decide they wanted to run across the road when I was in my work truck. The first ones head hit on the bumper then it rolled down the drivers side denting the front fender and both doors. The second "t-boned" the side of the truck at the bed right under the gas fill tube. It really dented that in then rolled down the side of the bed and putting a dent behind the wheel. It was $5,000 in damage and that was fixed in house basically all they did was straighten the bumper and pop the dents out, no paint.

A friend of mine in Maine was saying riding those roads at night is real risky.....Moose's eyes do not reflect light like a deer's does, so you can be riding along and all of a sudden a moose is right in front of you! :eek:

A friend of mine in Maine was saying riding those roads at night is real risky.....Moose's eyes do not reflect light like a deer's does, so you can be riding along and all of a sudden a moose is right in front of you! :eek:

From what I've heard those things don't try to move either.

We don't have any deer crossing signs where I live thankfully, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the advice, I keep my visor cracked and that helps with the fog issue, I'll try turning my head next time I ride in the rain.

Deer can't read signs, and deer are an issue pretty much everywhere these days......they are around, you just don't see them "yet".