U.S. gas can maker goes out of business...

2fat2fly

Actually after I typed that I realized that no race fuel jug I have ever bought says "gasoline" or has any other warning on it. Hmmm....

it's a similar bit of liability sidestepping that one of my previous employers used. We could never quote a valve specifically for oxygen service, if anyone ever requested a oxygen service valve, that was an automatic no-quote. we would then send them a canned response regarding our inability to quote oxygen service valves, but that they may want to look into some of our valves with special cleaning and no lubricants.

Actually after I typed that I realized that no race fuel jug I have ever bought says "gasoline" or has any other warning on it. Hmmm....

My race jug has all the gas info on the bottom. It has to be on there other wise the gas station can refuse to let you use it.

I agree, the litigation is a little absurd, perhaps, then they should stop making "gas cans" out of plastic...

Change the name of their plastic products to "chemical resistant water containers"

You put gasoline in it, and it's your own problem.

+1

I noticed that NATO style metal 5gal jerry cans are highly regarded. And very difficult to find new or even used. There's a few found recently as surplus, and for sale at places like cheaperthandirt. The imitation jerry cans in 1gal, 2gal, and 5gal are not quite the same design.

So, it's just bad parenting then when a 7yr old knocks over a gas can and the vapors reach an ignition source, and explodes?

I'm just trying to get a grasp on where some ORDN people stand on the balance between personal responsibility vs. corporate greed/negligence vs. gov't regulation.

Because there's 300M+ people in this country, so there's about 300M different scenarios on how stuff could happen -- so I just want to make sure that I'm not going to see any posts in the past or future from these folks on blaming someone or something else for their own accidents.

I'm going with the lazy route here and not getting into the depth this could lead to. None of the explosions happened while the cans were used as intended or as 99.9% of people use them. If the cans had leaked or split apart without an impact with damages I guarantee the company would have settled and not fought lawsuits. I have knocked over my gas cans and nothing happened because the lid was on it, that seven year old had a user problem that he unfortunately paid a price for but the can didn't cause the accident it was stored improperly. You find where this companies cans failed when used as is common for typical gas can use and we would agree that the company should do something. I contend that they would stand behind their product in such cases.

If they are low enough volume that they are rotomolding, it might make it's way to mexico... if they are high enough volume that they are blow molding, it's unlikely that the business will go anywhere outside of the country based on logistics.

Correct, shipping air is expensive.