LED or Plasma?

magley64

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13504&type=page&pageIdentity=searchDriven&useProductString=true&productString=1218551142746*1218712328224&unProductString=1218202944577*1218204532577*1218500929323*1218551140821*1218809261672*1218552486361*1218541222902*1218541224828*1218436776223*1218552486297*1218809729292*1218628183449*1218635270647&catId=

I got my TV selection narrowed down to sharp aquos LED or Samsung Plasma

same screen size.

Samsung: love the brightness, contrast ratio, and refresh rate

Dont love the possiblity of burn-in on my map and life meters while I'm gallivanting around in halo or assasin's creed.

Sharp: Love the non-existence of burn-in

Don't love the 1/5 refresh rate compared to plasma, and I'm concerned about picture quality.

Leaning towards the sharp, but really hesitant, because I do love the look of plasma.

LED

I'm biased against plasma for the old age reasons of why plasma's suck. They are no longer as sucky as people make them out to be but I still prefer LCD/LED in which all my TV's are.

Also, don't buy that Aquos from best buy. The 60" picture quality will be fine and the refresh won't kill you unless you play a lot of video games. The video game play on my 70 aquos was too annoying for lag, it was playable but I didn't like it as much. For tv watching and blu ray it's enough to blow your mind

I have had temporary burn in on the 42" samsung I bought for my parents 4 or 5 years ago. (little assasin marks in the top left corner.)

If it were only for TV and Movies, it would be the samsung hands down. (that picture is the absolute best I have seen, never blurs, never pixelates, never hesitates)

As much as I plan on gaming in the winter though, it has me worried. I could always wipe the temporary burn on the screen at my parents house by switching to a black/white wipe screen for a few minutes, but it still scares me.

for $100 cheaper, I'm pretty settled on the LED...

Thanks Brian and Ryan for easing my apprehension.

ok good. I was gonna say dont you dare pay $1200 for a 60" Aquos because they can be had for quite a bit less.

wait til black friday and after christmas. that is the best advice i have to offer you on TV's. otherwise, plasma: better for movies LED: better for all around, and games

Thinking about that, too...

Just want to get my priorities and selections kinda nailed down in case I come across a deal... Might end up waiting til the 23rd to pull the trigger since I won't even really be moved in until the 21st anyway (starting the move the 17th)

wait til black friday and after christmas. that is the best advice i have to offer you on TV's. otherwise, plasma: better for movies LED: better for all around, and games

Black Friday blows for nice tv's as well as big tv's normally. Absolute best time to buy a large quality TV is February

best buy sale this weekend, 900 for the LED version

LCD version is regularly 900 i think...

900 is the right price, jump on it! I've seen it as low as $800 but that was last Super Bowl blitz

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13504&type=page&pageIdentity=searchDriven&useProductString=true&productString=1218551142746*1218712328224&unProductString=1218202944577*1218204532577*1218500929323*1218551140821*1218809261672*1218552486361*1218541222902*1218541224828*1218436776223*1218552486297*1218809729292*1218628183449*1218635270647&catId=

I got my TV selection narrowed down to sharp aquos LED or Samsung Plasma

same screen size.

Samsung: love the brightness, contrast ratio, and refresh rate

Dont love the possiblity of burn-in on my map and life meters while I'm gallivanting around in halo or assasin's creed.

Sharp: Love the non-existence of burn-in

Don't love the 1/5 refresh rate compared to plasma, and I'm concerned about picture quality.

Leaning towards the sharp, but really hesitant, because I do love the look of plasma.

I have a 51" Samsung plasma and I love it, It does get "burn in marks" but honestly they arnt even noticeable, except in certain shades of black, but they eventually fade out over time. I used to have a 42" LCD(I think it was Samsung aswell) and I never had any issues with the picture quality, other than my main board going out within a month and it took them 3 months to fix cuz "they can only order 1 part at a time" and the guy was an idiot. The TV runs great still, it's 7 years old(sold it to my father-n-law) and has no issues at all. My plasma is 2 or 3 years old with no issues other than burn marks when I play certain games for a long time, but seem to fade out within a couple Weeks.

I never owned a LED though so I can't say too much about them, but I'd probably go with whatever is the best bang for my buck if it were me and last I checked LEDs are more expensive. LCD, LED, Plasma, meh, they all seem to be pretty good quality to me, but the LEDs seem to be the best :dunno:

I have a 50" Samsung plasma and I love it. I've had 3 different plasmas since 2005 and have never had issues with burn-in and I do quite a bit of gaming. Also, every plasma I've owned has a menu option to do a screen wipe and remove burn-in, although I've never needed it. I'm sure that Samsung has this as well. IMO, the picture quality is much better with plasma and refresh rate is never an issue so you don't have to worry about ghosting. The only problem I've had with plasma is that bright light does affect the picture, as someone mentioned above. But to me the picture quality and refresh rate differences are worth that sacrifice.

FWIW, I have a 60" Sharp Aquos LED in the family room, and a 43" Samsung plasma in the man cave. Both have fantastic pictures, though inch for inch, I appreciate the plasma picture better. Richer, deeper colors without having to get into the minutae of configs or settings. That isn't to say the LED sucks, because nothing is further from the truth. Its display I think competes very well with plasmas of its own size and is half the weight. I like the ancillary features of the Sharp (wireless, integrated apps like Netflix, etc) as well. I think in the long run the LED is the better option. Just my $.02. Either way, happy toy shopping!

I didn't read through all of the reply's above but it's something you need to decide for yourself and how anal you are. Go to the stores and look at them to compare. I own a 56" LG LED (3D) and a 50" Samsung Plasma. I did a lot of research before buying each tv...here is what I discovered off the top of my head.

PLASMA PROS:

Deep blacks

Good color

Not prone to ghosting or motion blur

great overall picture

relatively inexpensive for same size screen as LED

PLASMA CONS:

Energy sucking dog

HOT! Seriously, it heats up my bedroom like a fireplace. Not so good in the summer

Subject to screen burn if you have static content (games, tickers/crawlers, etc)

Active shutter glasses 3D only

Most screens are pretty reflective

LED PROS:

Not too bad on electricity

Not too hot

Great colors

Thin and light

LG (and maybe Panasonic now) offer passive 3D (still need glasses)

Screens are less reflective

LED CONS:

Many have uneven lighting - especially edge lit. If back lit, make sure it offers local dimming

Many have halos or flashlight effect around bright objects with dark background

blacks not as deep as plasma

more expensive than plasma

more prone to motion blur/ghosting

There are a lot of great reviews over at AVS forums for specific models once you've narrowed them down. However, most ppl on there are the most anal retentive people in the world. Seriously, I thought I was bad but these guys take it to a whole new level. Take what they say with a grain of salt and look for trends of good/bad points.

PLASMA CONS:

Energy sucking dog

HOT! Seriously, it heats up my bedroom like a fireplace. Not so good in the summer

LOL, yeah, I know about that first hand.

My parents house is small (888 sq ft) and for about a week they had no furnace... it was starting to get chilly, but it never really got "cold" in the house, and i suspect it was the plasma keeping the living room warm.