Help me haggle on a bike!

smashweights

Ok, so some of you may have followed my quest for something to replace my R6. Well I'm talking with a guy about buying his 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo.

Here's what I've gathered:

- Mint condition

- tank guard is only accessory

- 1128 miles

- Willing to meet halfway for delivery from Kansas City

- Factory warranty remains until July 2013 (~9 more months, assuming it's transferrable)

From the last email I got, his backup plan is selling consignment through a contact at the local Ducati dealer for $9800 and knowing they'd take a 10% cut, it seems he expects get about $9000 take home from that route. Where should I begin my negotiations? The highest bidding on eBay got was $7600, so my initial plan before hearing about this backup plan was to go $7800 and hope he'd opt for $8k and take it. But now I get the feeling he's expecting a bit more for that. My cap is probably around $8500 and NADA value for the bike is $10,240 average retail and $7,780 low retail (bad shape).

Thoughts on how to handle negotiations? Don't want to insult the man and over low ball him, but it is also heading in to winter and bike prices aren't ideal this time of year. Fire away!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would offer a price you consider fair and have him agree to it upfront completely. You don't want to waste all the time driving back and forth to come home without the bike.

Bikes sell slow in the winter and he can ask what he wants, but he may not sell before next May. Seems like a high price overall. Seems that Commonwealth had a great deal on an 1100 Monster Evo a few months ago. I suspect you could find a great deal between now and next riding season.

I would offer a price you consider fair and have him agree to it upfront completely. You don't want to waste all the time driving back and forth to come home without the bike.

Bikes sell slow in the winter and he can ask what he wants, but he may not sell before next May. Seems like a high price overall. Seems that Commonwealth had a great deal on an 1100 Monster Evo a few months ago. I suspect you could find a great deal between now and next riding season.

No driving, it's email negotiations at this point. He also has to decide how to sell by the end of the year. What is Commonwealth? What do you consider a great deal? If I could get it for $8000, i would consider that a great deal given the book value.

Offer the 8k, and see what he counters. But if he doesn't go for that then explain if he meets you halfway you'd split the difference at $8250? As long as you're offering more than the bids, I dont really see how he could be THAT offended. Thats how the game works. I wouldn't let him know you "could" go to $8500 unless ultimatums push you that far, then make that your final offer?

Offer the 8k, and see what he counters. But if he doesn't go for that then explain if he meets you halfway you'd split the difference at $8250? As long as you're offering more than the bids, I dont really see how he could be THAT offended. Thats how the game works. I wouldn't let him know you "could" go to $8500 unless ultimatums push you that far, then make that your final offer?

Yeah, only concern is he seems to think he'll be able to net $9000 if he let's his friend at the Ducati dealership sell it for him and take a 10% chunk off the sale price.

I think it'd be more cost effective to buy closer. Because he's also going to have to pay two way for gas which will come out of his total profit. Where's as he can spend a little bit on gas to the dealer and wait for it to sell. If he's not desperate your not going to get a great deal after time and money and wear and tear to get it. If you jump at the first deal you see you'll probably feel screwed in the end.

I think it'd be more cost effective to buy closer. Because he's also going to have to pay two way for gas which will come out of his total profit. Where's as he can spend a little bit on gas to the dealer and wait for it to sell. If he's not desperate your not going to get a great deal after time and money and wear and tear to get it. If you jump at the first deal you see you'll probably feel screwed in the end.

Do you think I could find an outgoing model year Duc 1100 for less than $8000 plus about $120 in gas to drive? So far I've seen nothing remotely close.

This right here. If he's got that 9K number in his head and you lowball that, between the hassle of dealing with you over such a long distance he would probably retreat back to the Duc dealership, I know I would. If he wants more than 9K and you aren't willing to do it, then I'd say wait for the next one, cause I think you'd just be spinning your wheels with him.

This right here. If he's got that 9K number in his head and you lowball that, between the hassle of dealing with you over such a long distance he would probably retreat back to the Duc dealership, I know I would. If he wants more than 9K and you aren't willing to do it, then I'd say wait for the next one, cause I think you'd just be spinning your wheels with him.

There's no $9k in his head, just that his first mention of price was that he thought he could list the bike with the dealer at $9800 and make less $980. I'm certainly willing to be patient, with no riding in the next 4-5 months being foreseeable. Just looking for what you all might toss out at this point.

I'd say if its the bike you really want and its cheaper than buying from a dealer, you're winning. I dont mind if I cant get an AWESOME deal so much as saving a little over the norm AND getting what I want.

If he doesnt bite on your offer, let him leave it at the Duc dealer and see how long it sits there - if it sells, so be it and keep looking - if not, and he hits you up in a couple months.....cut your offer down to $7800:D

I'd say if its the bike you really want and its cheaper than buying from a dealer, you're winning. I dont mind if I cant get an AWESOME deal so much as saving a little over the norm AND getting what I want.

If he doesnt bite on your offer, let him leave it at the Duc dealer and see how long it sits there - if it sells, so be it and keep looking - if not, and he hits you up in a couple months.....cut your offer down to $7800:D

But that's my question: what do you all think would be a reason able offer to toss out at this point? I'd like to say $8000, which would be a relative steal for me, but about $1000 less than he might otherwise think he can get. Is this reasonable to toss out there or is this a laugh your way out of negotiations offer?

The best I can find remotely locally is $8500 for a 696, not the 1100

But that's my question: what do you all think would be a reason able offer to toss out at this point? I'd like to say $8000, which would be a relative steal for me, but about $1000 less than he might otherwise think he can get. Is this reasonable to toss out there or is this a laugh your way out of negotiations offer?

The best I can find remotely locally is $8500 for a 696, not the 1100

It really depends on him man, I wouldnt be offended with an offer of $8k but I'm fairly forgiving and dont take things too personally......everyone is different. If you really want it and can swing the $8500, give it all to him in hopes he'd accept. But I'd bet he would assume it to be your first ( lower ) offer and counter higher than you want to go. Really its up to you in how badly you want the bike. Would a Duc dealer ask $10,500 for it plus T&T? If its a good deal in your opinion, go after it and make yourself happy.....thats what I would do. Its only money and my happiness costs some big bucks sometimes, just ask my wife!:lol:

If he says he's listing it with a local dealer for $9800, my take is that's "asking". Figger any late-season buyer with a smattering of cohones is gonna squeeze the dealer down 10% minimum on a used bike, so now we're talking $9K minus the commission and he's lucky to net $8000. That fact plus the reality that every month, that newish bike of his is losing Blue Book value faster than his 401-K portfolio and I'd say your right in the ballpark at $7600-7800, especially if you factor in the hassle of a long-distance deal. It sure as hell ain't gonna be worth anymore money next spring...

Last thought: It sounds like he's stuck with owing too much on it and is trying to get what he owes out of it. Don't make HIS problem YOUR problem! Prices may stay stable from now until spring, but there'll be ton more listed for sale then, too. You'll have a much wider field to choose from. Economy sux balls right now and will for some time to come. If you've got the cash and are a serious, motivated buyer, YOU ARE IN THE DRIVER"S SEAT!!!

Edited by Bubba

Commonwealth is Ducati dealer in Louisville. Sometimes great deals can be had on low mile Ducatis since the typical owner doesnt ride much and has a good income. Some sell at dealers at great prices via consignment.

If he says he's listing it with a local dealer for $9800, my take is that's "asking". Figger any late-season buyer with a smattering of cohones is gonna squeeze the dealer down 10% minimum on a used bike, so now we're talking $9K minus the commission and he's lucky to net $8000. That fact plus the reality that every month, that newish bike of his is losing Blue Book value faster than his 401-K portfolio and I'd say your right in the ballpark at $7600-7800, especially if you factor in the hassle of a long-distance deal. It sure as hell ain't gonna be worth anymore money next spring...

Last thought: It sounds like he's stuck with owing too much on it and is trying to get what he owes out of it. Don't make HIS problem YOUR problem! Prices may stay stable from now until spring, but there'll be ton more listed for sale then, too. You'll have a much wider field to choose from. Economy sux balls right now and will for some time to come. If you've got the cash and are a serious, motivated buyer, YOU ARE IN THE DRIVER"S SEAT!!!

I like your thinking, though I've checked a few local dealerships around Ohio and even the 2011 796 Monster with more miles is going for over $8k. From what I've seen in the pictures of the title, he owns the bike outright, no lien noted on the title.

Edited by smashweights

Quote from my last email:

"At some point we have to talk about how much too, lets figure out if we can make something happen first if we can then I guess you at least know something about where I would like to be. To help my fall back is likley to be listing it for $9800 with the dealer who will take $980 from me for selling it, assuming he gets $9800."

This is all both of us have said regarding price at this point. Basically sounds like he's wanting me to really throw the first offer out there, rather than say how much he'd be willing to let it go for.

Edited by smashweights

...I've checked a few local dealerships around Ohio and even the 2011 796 Monster with more miles is going for over $8k.

Gotta remember, even at a dealer...."Askin' and gettin' are two different things!" There's no such thing as a late-model vehicle that doesn't depreciate. The sooner it sells, the less they lose.

Gotta remember, even at a dealer...."Askin' and gettin' are two different things!" There's no such thing as a late-model vehicle that doesn't depreciate. The sooner it sells, the less they lose.

Touche. At this point, I'm inclined to throw the $7800 out and simultaneously offer $8000 if he'd be willing to meet me halfway for the transfer (saves me a full day of driving).

smash, When i was looking for the VFR, the only bike for sale in OHIO was asking around the KBB value and that too at the high end of the spectrum. But i really wanted the bike, started riding it the next day since not many days in ohio to play waiting game for motorcycle, was close enough that i could ride it back home since i didnt have trailer, Yes the price could have been lowered by another 500 or so, but I didnt want to risk loosing it.

But in your case I see no advantage for you to chase this deal like the end of the world, u have time, money and options at your disposal to play with till next spring. And for few months i was looking at duc monsters in Craiglist constantly and was amazed to see the amount of ducatis coming up for sale in and around Ohio itself. So low ball him and let him crank it up a notch to sell, if not wait and u will be rewarded

. Just my 0.02$

smash, When i was looking for the VFR, the only bike for sale in OHIO was asking around the KBB value and that too at the high end of the spectrum. But i really wanted the bike, started riding it the next day since not many days in ohio to play waiting game for motorcycle, was close enough that i could ride it back home since i didnt have trailer, Yes the price could have been lowered by another 500 or so, but I didnt want to risk loosing it.

But in your case I see no advantage for you to chase this deal like the end of the world, u have time, money and options at your disposal to play with till next spring. And for few months i was looking at duc monsters in Craiglist constantly and was amazed to see the amount of ducatis coming up for sale in and around Ohio itself. So low ball him and let him crank it up a notch to sell, if not wait and u will be rewarded

. Just my 0.02$

Appreciate the thoughts. Don't worry, I'm not chomping at the bit, though admittedly am getting the excitement buildup. I'm part Jewish, so demanding a deal is in my genes. Just haven't ever bargained for something like this and hoping to get some ideas on good pricing. Mostly i'm taking a peak at what similar Ducatis are going for on eBay, particularly a few years older and even older ones are going for less than this. Should I give Comp Accessories a call and see what they'd let a new one go for and use that for some leverage?

Touche. At this point, I'm inclined to throw the $7800 out and simultaneously offer $8000 if he'd be willing to meet me halfway for the transfer (saves me a full day of driving).

^^^^ This ^^^ seems reasonable as long as 1) you're sure this is THE BIKE you want; and 2) you're sure that he is accurately representing the condition of the bike. Might want to get the VIN number from him and pay for a vehicle check on-line to make sure of it's history. Also, you might be able to have a local Duc dealer run the VIN for maintenance/repair/recall history as well. Good luck!

^^^^ This ^^^ seems reasonable as long as 1) you're sure this is THE BIKE you want; and 2) you're sure that he is accurately representing the condition of the bike. Might want to get the VIN number from him and pay for a vehicle check on-line to make sure of it's history. Also, you might be able to have a local Duc dealer run the VIN for maintenance/repair/recall history as well. Good luck!

I got the VIN already and and ran it through NICB to check for theft, VIN matches the bike according to my insurance quote, and having seen the video in 720p of the bike from all angles looks mint. He's also shown the shop receipt for the new bike oil change and rear wheel recall as having been performed.

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/vincheck