Sheriff tax lien sales

Gump

This is the way it works because I was in process of doing it.

1. You cant inspect the house at all and if you try and sneak in, you run the risk of treaspassing charges.

2. You need to bring somewhere between 5-15% of the sale value in cash to the auction which is typically at the courthouse on some set day of the month.

Things to expect.

Expect the worse

Expect a contractor to out bid you.

and most importantly, expect the Bank who is the primary lean holder to outbid 98% of everyone since its just funny money to them and they already own the house. They can buy it back for more than its worth and turn around and sell it for less because like I said, its funny money to them and they can right it off as a loss.

Why would a bank be interested in a tax lien sale? I thought that was for foreclosure sales?

All a tax lien sale does is give you title to the house. If there are still any encumbrances on it (mortgage), they go with the sale. You get the right to own the tax debt. You hedge your bets that you are buying a house worth more than the mortgage. The bank is doing the same thing, except they already own the debt.

Thanks. What if its only Property with no mortgage?

Expect professional house-flippers to do a better job of accurately estimating the value of the house and bidding up to that.

- If THEY outbid YOU it's probably because the flipper knows something you don't know.

- If YOU outbid THEM it's probably because the flipper knows something you don't know.

;)

It all comes down to experience - on how much gaining experience will cost you. You can figure out if a property has a mortgage (though not sure how you could find out the balance of said mortgage) or other liens.

It would seem to make sense to me that mortgage/irs/property tax liens would tend to hang out together like women going to the bathroom... Once money troubles really set in nobody gets paid.

I would also worry about the displaced former owner being unhappy with the new living arrangements...

From what I was told when I was considering bidding on one was if there is a substantial mortgage on the property don't even waste your time bidding because the bank is not going to let it go. Now if there is $10k owed on a $100k house then you'd be ok bidding but it'd be a blood bath because contractors will be bidding

Starting to piece this together. The pros arnt there because they're getting ripped off. I know of a couple stories of guys getting great deals when the foreclosure doesn't get bid on for 2/3rds and then it gets put up for sale again later. But that's not a tax lien sale.

Edited by Gump