Bike- wrenching/maintenance/miss being at the track- fest - NEoh edition

jbot

Admittedly, I am leaning on Craig's expertise here. And my forks will be off the bike for certain. Is there any prep I can do to cut down on the wrench time or make things easier once I get to Mennerrrr?

If you are pulling the forks please crack the caps loose a tad so we don't have to fight with them. If you want to drain them that's fine as I'm not sure what Jinu has to dump the fluid into (as I know he usually take the fluid to the face).

If you are pulling the forks please crack the caps loose a tad so we don't have to fight with them. If you want to drain them that's fine as I'm not sure what Jinu has to dump the fluid into (as I know he usually take the fluid to the face).
Easy enough, thanks. Not sure what weight oil is in them now, but know I need to step up to a heavier weight.

If you're pulling them apart you should try to put in springs now. Changing the oil weight will do nothing for setting up sag which I thought was what we were having issues with. Heavy oil means slower reactions by the forks.

If you haven't already, try to get a hold of Ruben to get an idea of what you can/need to do if you're staying all stock up front. Hell, get a price on springs from him while your at it...they shouldn't be a lot.

Jinu I have your pin stand and I will bring it. I would have my forks of the bike already but then the stand is stuck at my house with my bike on it. Maybe if someone has another front pin stand they could bring it? That would definitely speed things up.

I'm going to have to string one of my bikes up from the rafters to do a fork swap between bikes; I should be able to bring my stand(with 01-05 gsxr sized pin) once I get that done. Should be able to bring an extra spool stand(or two) if we need them as well.

I'm guessing someone has a fork oil height tool doodad, if not I can bring my super sweet homebrew one.

Off-topic, but what's your plan for this?

12v and GND from the bike to an adjustable DC-DC voltage regulator with potentiometer to select the amount of dampening on the stock HESD (stock goes up to 6.5v) with a few other miscellaneous components. I need a damper for Nelson's, I'm cheap, like DIY and don't want it to be variable out of my control (I hear they don't really react fast enough).

No particular time, but I should be awake by sometime around noon. Oh, can a couple of you bring your set of tools? We'll probably need multiple sets so we can all work on our stuff relatively simultaneously.

No particular time, but I should be awake by sometime around noon. Oh, can a couple of you bring your set of tools? We'll probably need multiple sets so we can all work on our stuff relatively simultaneously.

I'll bring my track toolbox along with a couple extra sets of allens and some sockets.

BTW, R1NiceGuyWhoLetMeBorrowHisTools I have your 3/8 Craftsman ratchet in my toolbox. I was borrowing it one time and didn't get it back to you before you left.

My tools are scattered around the garage right now, but I could gather up the metric wrenches sockets and allens easy enough.

I should just bring my damn bike and get some work done on it, all I've done since bringing it home was pull the bodywork off to see what was underneath.

My tools are scattered around the garage right now, but I could gather up the metric wrenches sockets and allens easy enough.

I should just bring my damn bike and get some work done on it, all I've done since bringing it home was pull the bodywork off to see what was underneath.

What did you find ?

Bunch of steel fasteners that need replaced before the corrode and seize up in the aluminum. Other than that I haven't taken a good look. It has one vortex and one rearset of some other brand that is not adjustable...pipe is held on with 2 bolts. Basically it needs gone over nose to tail. When I went to pick it up the bike fired right up from freezing temps, clicked in first, engine sounded fine(very short warm-up), the clutch was with smooth and torque felt just like my other bike going onto the trailer. If it goes around the track with only a couple hundred or less put into it, I'll be ecstatic....I'll have got exactly what I wanted, something I can beat the piss out of and not feel bad about.

Oh yeah, the one issue that I know about already, it either has a weak battery or a bad regulator/rectifier or a bad stator. The guy had to charge the battery the night before I came. I'll have to get the voltmeter out and test it.

I haven't decided yet, but I'm considering doing the valves on both bikes this spring since one is nearing 14k and the other is completely unknown.

Edited by RHill

Man I need to get fork cap extenders before the season too. Ugh, I gotta lot of suspension stuff to do.

Craigypoo, probably need a Sat/Sun that is good for you to come down and help with the following; Swingarm, rear spring, front springs, fork extenders, BJ, ZJ, HJ, and a good salad toss.

We could make that a late winter/early spring mod meet in Cbus, but obviously the majority of you guys are in CLE>

Man I need to get fork cap extenders before the season too. Ugh, I gotta lot of suspension stuff to do.

Craigypoo, probably need a Sat/Sun that is good for you to come down and help with the following; Swingarm, rear spring, front springs, fork extenders, BJ, ZJ, HJ, and a good salad toss.

We could make that a late winter/early spring mod meet in Cbus, but obviously the majority of you guys are in CLE>

You name it, I'm free most weekends.

I can bring some tools' date=' Jinu. I have fork seal drivers, fluid level tool and whatnots. I can bring torque wrenches, if they're desired. Also, I may have a few liters of fork oil on the shelf if anybody is interested. I also have spanners for Showa and Ohlins shocks. You guys are welcome to use any tools I have.[/quote']

it would be very cool if you can make it. let me know if you think you'll be free.

no, but with enough alcohol, screaming, crying, time, and effort and breaking rear shock housings by flinging it against the far wall in a fit of rage and impotent frustration, we can get it done