Rifle hard cases

Helmutt

What do you guys use to house your long guns? I'm curious as we have a few that could use better protection than leaning in the corner of our safe. I'm thinking about the SKB products as have had several of their guitar cases, amp racks, and pedal boards over the years and really dig their quality. Any other decent options and/or opinions?

Why would you have your gun in a case in the safe? Takes up too much room

Maybe plan to add an upright rack stand on the side of the safe for them, but want good cases to tote them out of the house and at the range. Depending on the size of our collection will decide whether I keep them in the cases inside the safe. Our safe is over 6' tall, 3' deep, and 4' wide. There are some drawers on one side and at the top, but my TC flint .50 mountain rifle ( 5' long ) has plenty of room above it so fitting cases inside the safe won't be a problem at all.

Desiccant can works well or a eletric heater. Put a pieces of foam adhesive weather stripping along the bottom inside rail of your gun safe is a good idea. It normally has a sharp edge I never failed to bump the stock on when removing guns

We keep quite a bit of paperwork filed away in a couple drawers, so moisture isn't an issue as well as keeping the safe in the corner of our bedroom where its room temp at all times. I'll check into Pelican, but wasn't sure if anyone had the SKB's to supply some feedback.....but I'm sure they're good equip too.

Thanks guys

Desiccant can works well or a eletric heater. Put a pieces of foam adhesive weather stripping along the bottom inside rail of your gun safe is a good idea. It normally has a sharp edge I never failed to bump the stock on when removing guns

Heaters have a bit of their own problem. Depending on safe location, all they do is draw cold damp air in from the bottom, and pump heat out the top. I would seal it up good, stick with desicants, and be done with it.

We keep quite a bit of paperwork filed away in a couple drawers, so moisture isn't an issue as well as keeping the safe in the corner of our bedroom where its room temp at all times. I'll check into Pelican, but wasn't sure if anyone had the SKB's to supply some feedback.....but I'm sure they're good equip too.

Thanks guys

Temp and moisture have nothing to do with each other. I guarantee you if you had a color changing desiccant style device, it would gather enough moisture in 1 month that it would need to be recharged.

Spend the $50 and save the hassle down the road of surface rust on your firearms.

I got a nice hard case with foam inside at Kmart for like 12 bucks held my shotgun (now your shotgun :) ) and 22 rifle together just fine. its about 4 feet long and has a lock hole on it if you were traveling and wanted to lock it up.

Temp and moisture have nothing to do with each other. I guarantee you if you had a color changing desiccant style device, it would gather enough moisture in 1 month that it would need to be recharged.

Spend the $50 and save the hassle down the road of surface rust on your firearms.

Have had this safe for several years now and my old muzzle loader isnt rusting in the least, the shotgun is Armorlocked top to botttom, the AR is new and well oiled ( just like all the guns ) and the pistols are all packed in foam lined cases along with silica packs.....I understand the concern of moisture damage, but dont foresee any major issues under out circumstances. Although, now that you mention it, a small canister of dessicant cant hurt so maybe something to buy and monitor just in case potential problems arise.

Pelicans are nice but overkill for anything I would shoot.

Plus they cost more than most of my guns.

After surfing the Pelicans online, I'm kind of with you on this. The cases are mainly to keep the guns safe for transport and carry in the field.

I got a nice hard case with foam inside at Kmart for like 12 bucks held my shotgun (now your shotgun :) ) and 22 rifle together just fine. its about 4 feet long and has a lock hole on it if you were traveling and wanted to lock it up.

Thanx AJ, will look into these as an option. I'm not looking to spend a pile on these for as minimal use as they'll get.

Plano Gun Guard is a fraction of the cost of a pelican. Unless you plan on dropping the case from a helicopter 100 ft to the ocean, the gun guard should do just fine.

Plano? Cool Ross, I'll check these out!

I use a Plano AirGlide for my rifle and like it.

Didnt know Plano did gun cases, but I dig their tackle boxes:D

Will look into these as well.

Appreciate the tips guys, these are all good starting points to decide on soon