calling GPS gurus

oldschoolsdime92

Here's as far as I've gotten so far with Android:

1. Create the route in Google Maps

2. Save the route to My Maps (at the bottom of the directions pane there's a Save to My Maps links)

3. On the Android Mobile maps app, go to Layers > More > My Maps > and show that as a layer on your mobile device

You can see the route and your "my location" on the phone. You can follow your way around it manually. But there's no way I can see to make the Navigator follow that route. You just have to do it by looking at it or by plugging in points along the way.

On the mobile be sure to use the layers in My Maps, NOT the mobile My Maps editor helper app. If you view the map there in the editor, you get only straight lines connecting the waypoints, not the road-following route.

There are also some options to export the route from My Maps to Google Earth in some common formats that can be used to import into another app (?) or device. Just not (yet?) the Android Google Navigation.

On my Garmin that i put on the bike sometimes i use waypoints. After reaching each waypoint i just tell it to give me directions to the next one. The Magellian i have in the car might be able to do it but i havent really looked into it. With that being said i rarely use either.

Edit: Its a royal pain in the ass to set up on the Garmin for the waypoints.

I have tried the waypoint thing with handheld GPS systems and it just ends up being too much of a pain to map out anything complicated. The phone is really the way to go, you just don't use the stock GPS app. You need to have pre-loaded maps and then there is no need for a data plan or cell service.

I have tried the waypoint thing with handheld GPS systems and it just ends up being too much of a pain to map out anything complicated. The phone is really the way to go, you just don't use the stock GPS app. You need to have pre-loaded maps and then there is no need for a data plan or cell service.

For phones, this is the correct answer. I use Co-Pilot. I have all of North America on my phone. Don't need data, just need to be able to see the sky for a GPS lock. It takes some getting used to but it is not bad...what I do is sit down at the computer and figure out my route on google maps. Then grab the phone and just plug in waypoints on a 'trip' in Co-Pilot and save the trip. Once I start the trip it knows when I hit a waypoint and automagically starts me on to the next waypoint.

My recent trip to the Ozarks is the first time I used it extensively and I am very happy with it.

plus juan.

I have a nuvi650 or 750 and I use mapquest to send it directly to the gps. 99% of the time the exact route I plot through mapquest goes in the Garmin perfectly. I've had 1 time in many it didn't and thats because it didn't recognize the road due to being an old 2008 map update.

I got it on ebay for dirt cheap because the battery wouldn't hold a charge. Full well knowing I'd have it plugged in all the time, I picked up a ram mount that uses my front tank bolts and cradle plus a powerlet plug that fits in my fork stem. The whole set up cost me around $100

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'll resurrect this thread a bit...

I'm in the market to get a GPS unit or solution specifically for motorcycling. Budget wise, don't want to spend over $150.

Right now I just use my Droid 2 global phone in my car.

There are a lot of options such as these cases you can use to mount GPS units to your handlebars:

http://www.amazon.com/i-Trek-GN032-WPCS-5-Motorcycle-Handlebar/dp/B004IQ8AI6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354238995&sr=8-3&keywords=gps+waterproof+case

http://www.amazon.com/i-Trek-GN032-WPCS-5-Motorcycle-Handlebar/dp/B004IQ8AI6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354238995&sr=8-3&keywords=gps+waterproof+case

So, should I just got one of those, use my phone, and call it done?

I was just at Best Buy and picked up a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition to take some riding footage. I stopped by the GPS section and saw an interesting unit, the Magellan Explorist 110:

http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-eXplorist-110-Handheld-GPS/dp/B006ZGB58Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354239327&sr=8-1&keywords=explorist+110

It's waterproof, so no case would be needed, and has nice big buttons and a joystick, so you could use it with gloves on... Only thing I'm not so sure about is mounting. I supposed some of the clamp/pressure based mounts out there could work, but doesn't seem too secure.

The other option is getting a tank bag with a window, which I'll be getting anyway.

I'll also be upgrading my phone in about a week, and likely going with the Samsung Note 2. I'm not too sure of the options available on Google Maps as far as setting waypoint, etc for riding routes, but if Google Maps doesn't do it, I'm sure there are apps on the Google Play Store that work for it...

So, lots of options, but it seems the Explorist is one of the few I could use with gloves on, however, I don't think I'd be messing with my GPS unit while riding, lol.