NASCAR coming to Mid Ohio

Casper

Eldora is a blast, we try to go every other year to the Prelude to the dream. Good times!!

Yep Eldora is legit. The prelube is cool but those guys aren't the true "pros" of dirt anymore, they were once though. The pro dirt trackers that make a living in the sport run 2-3 seconds faster than the Prelube, now that's crazy.

But the cause is good, however just FYI, it's done now. Dream and World are now 3 day events, no more Prelube.

And yes, Napcar races road course in the rain, and agreeing with Midget, there's no really great places to pass at Mid O, track is pretty narrow actually for 2 wide, but then again, road courses they just move you...

Dad and his crew(what we all became) used to go to Watkins annually, I need to make it up there soon with him before he cant go.

This could be good comedy, I'm in!

Also, maybe they'll jack the pavement up bad enough that we'll get a repave with asphalt that can handle moisture... :dreaming

The STT staff told me long ago that the sealer used on the current asphalt is designed to reduce dry grip by a certain degree, so that the Le Mans series cars and other "hyper-exotics" lose traction before pulling the pavement to the point that it ripples.

That actually extends the life of the pavement, and as long as it's consistent, I don't mind it while riding. The rain is an obvious problem and trade-off, but when investing that much money into a facility, I understand and support their logic.

This could be good comedy, I'm in!

Also, maybe they'll jack the pavement up bad enough that we'll get a repave with asphalt that can handle moisture... :dreaming

Actually the Indy cars do more damage to the corners. It was very noticeable the day after they were there couple years back.

I've never been interested in NASCAR before, but that might be interesting. Looks like it's the weekend of MotoGP in Indy though, so unless something really weird happens, I'm already committed for that weekend.

At the very least I'm glad that Mid-O might have an event that could rekindle interest in the track and (maybe) help out the AMA attedance.

Based on what I'd seen back in the days of when stock cars raced at the Trans-Am circuit at Mid Ohio, the China Beach sand trap off the end of the straight will fill up with cars that failed to slow and turn. It used to be a grass field.

edit: Oh yeah, and Nationwide (Busch) races I've been to weren't too crowded. They didn't sell out. Makes a nice race.

Edited by ReconRat

Based on what I'd seen back in the days of when stock cars raced at the Trans-Am circuit at Mid Ohio, the China Beach sand trap off the end of the straight will fill up with cars that failed to slow and turn. It used to be a grass field.

edit: Oh yeah, and Nationwide (Busch) races I've been to weren't too crowded. They didn't sell out. Makes a nice race.

Were you there for the first Indy race, guy died right there. Went straight before there was sand and through the wall into a small group of 2-3 trees. Dad was right accross the Esse's and saw the whole thing.

Also there is an old part of track in the back, thunder valley, used to have a straight there up the hill without the turns, guy hit 1 head on and died shortly after opening season. They added turns and made it more difficult in the rear portion. The old track portion is still visible if you know where to look.

Just curious as not too many people know about all of this. Some of the stories from Dad out there are nuts, same with Watkins, MI, etc.