Since Obama’s re-election: over 100,000 layoffs at more than 125 businesses (so far)

NinjaNick

actually, supposedly He told a bunch of companies to avoid laying off people until after the election and he would pay them the difference to keep those employees on. This way the unemployment rate looked better prior to the election.

There's so much spin on that that I'm dizzy...

What really happened what the Department of Labor (not Obama) Sept 28th reminded Lockheed-Martin that they could forego the mandatory WARN act notices (mass layoffs) related the defense budget cuts because the scope of the cuts was not yet known and the scope of any layoffs related to it was not known, if there even were going to be layoffs at all. Rather than wasting money sending out mailers to everyone who *might* possibly be laid off, LM was told they could save the money by not sending out the mailers. The employees were still told of the situation, though. The DOL further stated that if it turned out that layoffs WERE required then the government would reimburse any legal costs related to the subset of people that actually should have had WARN notices.

Basically, why send 20k (WAG) people layoff notices when you don't even know which, if any, might be laid off? It's a waste of time and money.

WARN notices are 60 days prior to layoff, forcing any layoffs related to any WARN notices dated the end of September to be no earlier than the END of November. Layoffs that happen AFTER the election would not effect pre-election job numbers.

Obama has done plenty of things to get pissed off about - but this is not one of them.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/lockheed.asp

WARN notices suck. I've had one myself.

Edited by Scruit

Your entire post is ridiculous! Thats like saying higher fuel costs have nothing to do with increased food prices. Anytime the government makes healthcare more expensive, anytime the government makes it more expensive for insurance companies to operate, they look for ways to increase prices. That is exactly what has happened and Obamacare is directly responsible for these increased costs. Sit there with your eyes closed and your hands over your ears if you like but when you refuse to look at reality, you just sound ridiculous when you speak!

The changes you describe are not new and have been happening as long as I've been in this country - 1997. You can try to blame Obama for stuff that happened in 1997, sure... :nono:

It really does. All of this shit scares me. I work in a cosmetic physicians office and all of this is going to kill my business.

Why? Tell me which provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act are going to impact your business and why. :confused:

Here's a list of provisions for you to choose from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act

Edited by Scruit

Why? Tell me which provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act are going to impact your business and why. :confused:

its pure cosmetic. we dont accept insurance. So with so many people being laid off, they arent going to have the money to pay for the procedures we provide.

its pure cosmetic. we dont accept insurance. So with so many people being laid off, they arent going to have the money to pay for the procedures we provide.

So it's not Obamacare, it's just the economy in general. So how is that different from any other recession?

So it's not Obamacare, it's just the economy in general. So how is that different from any other recession?

Not terribly different....except the guy in charge seems only interested in the old tax and spend...so it's like speeding up the Titanic after the first hit. Raise that debt ceiling to infinity, bailout a few more industries, make token cuts and go after the investor's and private equity....oh yeah, that's really gonna work.

Obamacare is already having far reaching detrimental effects in preparation, in the workplace and in our insurance now, it's going to fucking hurt...and hurt the very people it purports to help.

I just shake my head when otherwise intelligent people like yourself can't see the obvious. Do you have any foresight whatsoever? Do you just trust a huge wide, super expensive bureaucracy to work? How has price-fixing and stiffer regulation of insurance helped so far?

That's right, they have made it worse.

Full speed ahead.

• Upvote 1

Amazing what people believe when they haven't given a shit about layoffs ever, but now all of a sudden it's the President's fault. Companies hire and fire. Economy goes up and down. Rich people get richer. Rich people aren't the only job creators. If they were reinvesting their money it would lower their tax burden even further.

What amazes me is we lowered tax rates on the wealthiest Americans in the early 2000's. What did all the purpoted job creators do with their money, apparently they didn't spend it creating new jobs.

Now I see so many people arguing how great those rich people are and how difficult it will be to provide health insurance to their employees. If you have 50+ employees, you are making serious money or you are doing it entirely wrong!!! So many people defending those job creators but don't have any desire to have them create good jobs that pay well and provide benefits?? WTF?

It is like some race to the bottom where the rich get very rich and everyone else works for shit wages and no benefits.

Not a big deal. These 800 volunteers are going to build billion dollar businesses in their parents basement and create more than 100k jobs combined.

Not terribly different....except the guy in charge seems only interested in the old tax and spend...so it's like speeding up the Titanic after the first hit. Raise that debt ceiling to infinity, bailout a few more industries, make token cuts and go after the investor's and private equity....oh yeah, that's really gonna work.

Obamacare is already having far reaching detrimental effects in preparation, in the workplace and in our insurance now, it's going to fucking hurt...and hurt the very people it purports to help.

I just shake my head when otherwise intelligent people like yourself can't see the obvious. Do you have any foresight whatsoever? Do you just trust a huge wide, super expensive bureaucracy to work? How has price-fixing and stiffer regulation of insurance helped so far?

Full speed ahead.

exactly. I couldnt have said it better myself.

Not terribly different....except the guy in charge seems only interested in the old tax and spend...so it's like speeding up the Titanic after the first hit.

Full speed ahead.

funny you mention the titanic, because it was discovered that it was the very avoidance maneuvers that the crew made that caused it to sink...

Had they gone full steam ahead, they would have smashed a few cabins, and compartments up front, but the boat wouldn't have sunk...

A word to describe or current political situation, be looking for it in Webster's dictionary soon...........

Ineptocracy

in-ep-toc'-ra-cy

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

• Upvote 1

A word to describe or current political situation, be looking for it in Webster's dictionary soon...........

Ineptocracy

in-ep-toc'-ra-cy

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Rep to you sir!!!!!!!!