Since Obama’s re-election: over 100,000 layoffs at more than 125 businesses (so far)

NinjaNick

This week we got our benefits update for 2013. Our insurance premium is going up and changing to a percent instead of a flat fee. Our deductible is doubling our copay is tripling. They are adding a tobacco surcharge and a spousal surcharge. prescription increased and out of pocket maximum increased. the flexible spending account limit decreased.......... Oh and our wage freeze is in place for another year. Obama and his healthcare scheme suck!

Sounds like every health plan I ever had since 1997.

- Obama's healthcare didn't implement tobacco surcharge - I've been (not) paying that for years.

- Spouse surcharge? My company won't even cover my spouse if she has insurance available - Her company charges a $2k insurable spouse penalty. Been doing that for year, not because of Obama's healthcare.

- Deductibles / copays. As economy craps out the companies push more cost onto the workers. Happened during the recent recession, happened under Bush in the early 2000's. Not related to Obama's healthcare.

- My insurance premium goes up every year. Healthcare is more expensive due to factors like uninsured people, malpractice insurance payments etc. The rate of increase has stayed constant for me. Obamacare not to blame.

- FSA upper limits are set by the IRS. Which limit has gone down? I'm not aware of anything. Might be just your company. FSAs are linked to taxes, not obamacare.

**EDIT Correction: (Yes, Obamacare gave the IRS the ability to limit the medical FSA limit. The IRS set it at $2500. The reason I didn't see a drop is medical FSAs used to be as big as the company wanted to allow, but I have never worked for a company that allowed more than $2500. Therefore I saw no change and didn't know the duty of setting the limit had moved from the employer to the IRS) **What was your limit last year?

Edited by Scruit

It's not like every single job lost under Bush wasn't directly attributed to him by the left either.

At what point does Obama actually deserve some credit for a climate where investors and business owners are afraid to hire and produce?

Never, I guess.

The president doesn't have that much influence. Regardless of which party he represents. There will always be recessions. I blame the most recent recent more on the subprime mortgage bubble than on Bush or Obama.

Spin those numbers. The jobs that were lost are not the ones that are coming back and the gain is marginal, public sector is down, full time workers are down, professional jobs are down. Manufacturing that's gone is mostly gone forever. Shit's gone downhill, not up, but cheerlead if you feel like it. We're losing vendors and competitors in my business, and it's getting worse not better.

Energy prices are still high, wages are stagnant, taxation is going up across the board, healthcare prices are soaring and the investor class is sitting on their hands...and that's historically a sign that things are going to get worse - they are the engine of growth (hence JFK's tax cuts to spur economic investment in the private sector, which worked btw).

How many of those jobs went to other countries under policies created by the large corporations that would have pulled Romney's strings for the next 4 years? :nono:

How many of those jobs went to other countries under policies created by the large corporations that would have pulled Romney's strings for the next 4 years? :nono:

That's really not a counter to my argument that things are not on the upswing, but since you asked those same strings are pulling Obama, and how many jobs left the United States because to remain competitive on the global market companies can't cope with stifling union wages? Those unions that are now currying exemptions, favors and bailouts from Obama?

We can play this game all day.

Romney sucks, Obama sucks harder. Much, much harder. He's made a toxic environment for small business and investment while driving up debt to suicidal levels, and his answer is to attack the only people with the ability to create more jobs.

Awesome. Seriously, fucking awesome.

My customers largest customers and one of the largest employers in WY Thunder Basin Coal just laid off a shitton of people. 30 of some of the largest mining dump trucks sitting doing nothing and no coal being produced. So not only my customer (freight expediter), but Caterpillar and me are all hurting because of this.

edIts a suckazz economy caused as much by Bush's years as Obama's total snafu for the past 4. I felt during the last 4 yrs of GW's reign that no matter who the next Prez was it was going to take 10-12 years of good leadership and wise decision making to right things. So we then get a Prez who screw the pooch for the most part making that 10-12 yrs probably doubled, imho.

My customers largest customers and one of the largest employers in WY Thunder Basin Coal just laid off a shitton of people. 30 of some of the largest mining dump trucks sitting doing nothing and no coal being produced. So not only my customer (freight expediter), but Caterpillar and me are all hurting because of this.

I know a person that works in a coal mine. He is getting laid off due to Obama as I am told. Does anyone know the real story behind this. I thought the US was a consumer of coal and couldn't keep up with the exporting of coal. So these layoffs make no sense to me.

I know a person that works in a coal mine. He is getting laid off due to Obama as I am told. Does anyone know the real story behind this. I thought the US was a consumer of coal and couldn't keep up with the exporting of coal. So these layoffs make no sense to me.

Robert Murray blaming inevitable rising health care costs as a result of Obama reelection.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/tue-november-13-2012-jason-sudeikis

Coal, like Oil & Gas, are going to be levied with the burden of extra regulations and taxes. These regulations force companies to have to spend more and more money to abide by them so less money to give to extra workers. That is about as simplified as I can make it and I'm sure someone will rebut it but when I'm not on my phone I can go Ito more detail just with my company alone

Sounds like every health plan I ever had since 1997.

- Obama's healthcare didn't implement tobacco surcharge - I've been (not) paying that for years.

- Spouse surcharge? My company won't even cover my spouse if she has insurance available - Her company charges a $2k insurable spouse penalty. Been doing that for year, not because of Obama's healthcare.

- Deductibles / copays. As economy craps out the companies push more cost onto the workers. Happened during the recent recession, happened under Bush in the early 2000's. Not related to Obama's healthcare.

- My insurance premium goes up every year. Healthcare is more expensive due to factors like uninsured people, malpractice insurance payments etc. The rate of increase has stayed constant for me. Obamacare not to blame.

- FSA upper limits are set by the IRS. Which limit has gone down? I'm not aware of anything. Might be just your company. FSAs are linked to taxes, not obamacare.

**EDIT Correction: (Yes, Obamacare gave the IRS the ability to limit the medical FSA limit. The IRS set it at $2500. The reason I didn't see a drop is medical FSAs used to be as big as the company wanted to allow, but I have never worked for a company that allowed more than $2500. Therefore I saw no change and didn't know the duty of setting the limit had moved from the employer to the IRS) **What was your limit last year?

Your entire post is ridiculous! Thats like saying higher fuel costs have nothing to do with increased food prices. Anytime the government makes healthcare more expensive, anytime the government makes it more expensive for insurance companies to operate, they look for ways to increase prices. That is exactly what has happened and Obamacare is directly responsible for these increased costs. Sit there with your eyes closed and your hands over your ears if you like but when you refuse to look at reality, you just sound ridiculous when you speak!

When Obamacare gets going full steam ahead, the number of specialty clinics, Doctor's offices, and small hospitals that will go out of business will be staggering. There will be much fewer options out there, and the lines and waiting periods to get in will be devastating to those that can't afford to wait. Some will benefit, but many will be shit out of luck.

Oh and to blame Bush for everything..........don't forget that Clinton was in 8 years prior to that, don't think for 1 second that George W didn't inherit some of that residual bullshit.

Edited by Pokey

heard a story about the true reason. energy companies are converting over to natural gas because it's cheaper.

the real head scratcher is Duke energy contributed a bunch of money ($10 million) to obama.

Edited by serpentracer