Bolt guns - any personal reviews?

Helmutt

Looking for future purchase reference info from you rifle saavy folk. Something in .223 to share with current bangbangs. No less than 20" bbl. Scope pkg included would be nice, but possibly upgrade that later once I get familiar with the weapon. Not wanting to break the bank either, somewhere in the $500-$700 range. Poking around Gander Mountain online and finding interest in these, or a facsimile thereof....

Howa Hogue Targetmaster

Remington 700 SPS

Axis Predator

Anyone have inhand experience with any of these? Pro's/Con's?

Go with a Rem700 or Savage 10 series with heavy barrel if its going to be for precision. This question has been asked 100 times on here and every gun forum out there so do yourself a favor and do a bit of searching on your own and come to some of your own conclusions.

Howa's are not a bad action either.

Go with a Rem700 or Savage 10 series with heavy barrel if its going to be for precision. This question has been asked 100 times on here and every gun forum out there so do yourself a favor and do a bit of searching on your own and come to some of your own conclusions.

Howa's are not a bad action either.

I'm researching as well as asking here and a few other forums, so there's homework being done - I don't solely rely on opinions cast here, just like to throw personal input into the mix from experienced shooters. I'd inherited a Rem 30.06 bolt that was primarily a shelf ornament, but I did shoot it as a teen - it was traded off a few years ago for something more home defense oriented. Other than that piece, I've little clue as to what I'm getting into.

I'm researching as well as asking here and a few other forums, so there's homework being done - I don't solely rely on opinions cast here, just like to throw personal input into the mix from experienced shooters. I'd inherited a Rem 30.06 bolt that was primarily a shelf ornament, but I did shoot it as a teen - it was traded off a few years ago for something more home defense oriented. Other than that piece, I've little clue as to what I'm getting into.

Herin lies your problem. Go to a shooting forum to look for shooting advice from "experienced shooters"

This site will get you moto information with a few people that know firearms and even fewer that actually know what they are talking about especially when talking about a precision bolt rifle.

Head over to Snipershide.com to get more factual answers to your question. This question is even a stickied topic there so you have a vast wealth of knowledge in 1 place.

FYI, Here is a thread listing out ALL the equipment being used by some of the top shooters winning the competitions in the use. Everything from Builders, barrels, stocks, actions, bipods, caliber, bags etc. Understand that 95% of these will be custom rigs but it goes to show you that its not just about the rig, its about the driver.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3728307#Post3728307

Edited by flounder
  • Upvote 2

:eek: Whoa! I thought this was a gun forum that played host to some riders?

Thanks for the link

Its been a rough 2 weeks.. Just trying to cut through some of the BS before it even starts..You'll find a lot of great information over on the hide. Be warned, if you ask questions over there before using the search function, you will get your ass chewed. (and you should!) Everyone wants someone else to give them the answer these days before trying to figure it out on their own.

Its been a rough 2 weeks

THIS, I am sensing....

Just trying to cut through some of the BS before it even starts..You'll find a lot of great information over on the hide.

I'll check it out and promise to keep my absurdity to a minimum

Be warned, if you ask questions over there before using the search function, you will get your ass chewed. (and you should!) Everyone wants someone else to give them the answer these days before trying to figure it out on their own.

I wont disrupt the harmony of the pros with my boundless idiocy. I'll be sure to keep my moments of rifle retardism here for you to pick apart; exposing my obvious, yet self proclaimed, lacking knowledge in all things affordable-entry-level-bolt-action:rolleyes:

In all honesty, and no deliberate sarcasm.....I do appreciate the insight and site link

If you want .223 that shares parts with your AR check out the mossberg mvp. I know nothing more then it takes AR mags. Do some research to see if its a decent gun or crap I just saw one at fin thought it was kinda neat.

%2327700_MVP_VARMINT_24in.png

Thanks man, I'll check into these. I've recently bought 5 more mags for the AR, so it would be killer if they would crossbreed between weapons

I guess it depends on what you will be using/wanting the rifle for Flounder, plenty of great "shooters" using much cheaper rifles and optics out there than the latter with great results. I see so much money that "I consider" a total waste of money being spent on high end rifles and optics, unless it is for competition or bragging rights. Do snipers spend vast amounts of money like that on their rifle and optics, compared to what some civilians spend? I have a good friend with some serious high end shit when it comes to long distance rifles and optics, and that to me takes some of the fun and challenge out of it. Of course I am a cheap ass and always like the best bang for the buck. :D My rifle would be for hunting only, but I can see how money can easily be spent like water with all the goodies and options out there. Hell.... some of the snobbery that I see on AR forums and 1911 forums blows my mind. :nono:

It will be hard to beat the Savage and/or Remington/Winchester for what you want to do. Price and performance. As said earlier this year, you will be able to make modifications and improvements to the Remington, but the Savage is more limited to performance changes.