Sturngewehr 44 turned in during gun buy-back program in CT

Casper

Are there a lot of WWII era guns being used to commit crimes? :rolleyes:

These gun buy-back programs really work. Taking museum quality vintage firearms out of the closets of middle-aged women, and handing them over to police who intend to melt them down.

I'm just glad the police had enough sense and decency to 1) NOT melt the thing, and 2) allow the owner to sell it.

I think so. It meets all three definitions of curio and relic.

There were not a lot survived, and several variations.

It could easily be very rare.

StG 44 wiki

edit: 425,977 StG44s were made. Not many survived.

"New semi-automatic reproductions of the MKb 42(H), MP 43/1, and StG 44 are being manufactured in Germany today by SSD (Sport Systeme Dittrich) and distributed by HZA Kulmbach GmbH[23] in the original 7.92x33mm Kurz chambering."

Edited by ReconRat

I'm just glad the police had enough sense and decency to 1) NOT melt the thing' date=' and 2) allow the owner to sell it.[/quote']

Yup, surprised they didn't sell it themselves to make money. Glad its going back to the owner to allow her to sell.

Wonder if that was registered by someone else. If she just pulled it out of a closet now it can't possibly be transferrable?

Assuming her father filled out the NFA paper work (either paying the tax or during a tax free amnesty), it would be transferable to her via a Form 5. If she doesn't have the paperwork, there *may* be a chance the ATF has a copy, but their records are notoriously bad. Without the paperwork, her only recourse is a museum or torch cutting it.