Two cargo containers turned into a cabin

Casper

cool, but I'm not quite sure why one would go to the trouble of using cargo containers (presumably to save on costs) and then deck it out like that...

It looked like the exterior was covered in spray-on insulation, and that was the primary means of holding heat in as well. Not sure how durable that will be.

Neat idea, just taken a lot further than I would have gone.

BTD: How much do they go for? You joke, but I'm actually interested.

I think they go from $2000 - $10000 depending on condition and previous contents. I'd think that cabin was in the $20000 range, if they did the work themselves. Pretty slick concept though. Those containers are pretty stout.

People build houses out of those things now.

Bunkers too.

If you want one of your own, I'll stop a my train for you someplace...but you've got to figure out how to get it off, that I can't help with.

Yeah I've seen bunkers with them, but have no idea why you wouldn't just buy a premade cabin from like Menards vs. something like that.

No premade cabin would hold a candle to how strong one of those containers are.

Oh not saying that(I worked logistics for 3 years, lots of experience with these things too), just saying if just making a "Cabin" vs. a bunker. Most people building a normal cabin don't need something like this.

I basically live in the same thing. Except everything is steel, interior and exterior. My house is on the National Register of Historical Places along with the other Hobart Welded Steel House Co. homes. One of the pictured homes in the Wiki link is mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart_Welded_Steel_House_Company_and_its_works

My dad has one. Delivered it was $1050, but it's only a 20'. The ones in the link are 40'. I have moved empty 40' with a 30ton fork lift. So, if you get a hold of a 30ton fork lift, you can snag one from the train.

I have heard of them going for $1500. However, these are getting more popular and the prices have been going up. There's a place in Cinci I drove by a few weeks ago, I don't recall the price but remember thinking it was pretty good. They had hundreds of them. It was out by the outlet mall.

I basically live in the same thing. Except everything is steel, interior and exterior. My house is on the National Register of Historical Places along with the other Hobart Welded Steel House Co. homes. One of the pictured homes in the Wiki link is mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart_Welded_Steel_House_Company_and_its_works

Sounds like the Lustrons that were made in Columbus post WWII.

Our shop bought 4 for outdoor warehousing of overstock/bulk. 20' versions used were $1500 and 40' used at $2000 from BEI in Dayton area, but thats been 6-7 years ago so price may have escalated. Definitely about the cheapest route vs wood or brick construction for a hunting cabin/shtf getaway. You can steel frame and rustproof the exterior to allow for underground options too. Innovative idea for sure