Gauging Interest

Oryon

As some of you may or may not know, I do side work as an android app developer. I have developed an app, which, utiliizing the phone's accelerometer, detects an impact which would be determined to be an impact... then it utilizes the GPS, and sends a series of text messages, with the nearest address to your location, to your emergency contact, all automatically. The detection can be enabled and disabled. The idea is, before you get on your bike, or in your car, you activate the sensor/app, and should you have an accident, your ICE contact (chosen when opening the app) would be automatically contacted and provided with your current location.

I am putting the finishing touches on the app, and plan to have it live in the play store this weekend. So, the question is, I am going to price it at $1.99.. would you as consumers, be willing to pay 1.99 for this feature set?

Any suggestions on things you would want to see in an app like this?

Thanks!

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

I basically did research to find the average G force load of an impact of sufficient force to cause bodily injury, and subtracted 25% from it. It has been tested in hard stops, etc, and has NOT had a false positive This being said, I cannot gurantee NO false positives, however, I have been able to minimize it. The one time that a false positive WOULD be an issue, is, if the phone is dropped. This imparts a G load similar to that which can cause injury. This is why I made the acceleration sensor easy to activate and deactivate from within the app, with a single button push. the idea is, when you get off the bike, just click disable, and as you get back on, simply click enable to turn it back on. It doesnt have a lot of fancy pretty features, screens, and animations, as my idea was to design this app for simple functionality, and ease of access, rather than all the bells and whistles out there on a lot of apps.

Also when I do publish it,, I will open a thread here, on ORDN, for feedback, so that I can make adjustments and add requested features as needed/requested...

No, at this time I would not be all that interested.

Great idea, but I wouldn't purchase it.

I'd be more interested in purchasing something that can collect video/audio as well.

If I did buy it, I'd probably be willing to pay a higher price than you are asking. Fresh app, so not a bad idea to keep the price low.

Are you going to offer a video/proof that it works? If I saw that it works, I'd be more likely to buy.

I'm not a fan of activating the app every time I get on and off of my bike. Don't know if there is any way around it, but I don't even like turning my wifi on and off :).

I think your idea is a good idea, but I am not one to buy an app unless I feel I need it. I don't feel like I need your app, probably because I don't anticipate an accident (whoever does).

I haven't seen the interface, but if the interface was dirty I'd be less interested in it.

I'm generally not one to buy apps as well. I stick to the free stuff.

If you provided HD audio/video, I'd buy it. I'd probably want to try it first to see if the app is stable, meaning free version versus paid version.

Nothing against the app, but thought I'd share what I would probably do if I were in the Play store browsing apps.

EDIT: *wow, reading through this I repeat myself a lot :). Sorry, I kept getting distracted...

I have an iPhone but as a product tester I know one thing people will be concerned about is how it will impact battery life since it runs in the background for extended periods of time.

To your question, it's my perception that a lot of people are stuck on the 99 cent price point. Whenever I recommend a pay app to someone and it's >$0.99 they always pull a face like they don't drop $5 a day in soft drinks already - cheap bastards. The best money making business model (which I'm not real fond of) seems to be to offer the app for free or lesser price and add the ability to buy extra functionality that really makes the app worth having like instead of one emergency contact, it can do up to five or something. You get my point though.

I can easily add the ability to capture video/audio, I even considered it, but I thought that most folks would hit activate, and drop it in a pocket, thus negating the need for audio/video... if thats a feature you guys think would be used, I can easily add it.

As for battery usage, that is another reason I made the app very "lightweight" since the accelerometers are on by default in the phone, that part adds no drain to the battery. The only added drain is a simple routine that is checking the accelerometer to exceed a certain value, which then invokes the rest of the app.

Free/paid version is a good idea, maybe free allows message to 1 person, paid 5 contacts, as well as initiates a call to 911 on it's own?

or offer 2 paid version, which say for .99 you get the 5 contacts, 911 (optional), and for 1.99 it will record video/audio as well?

As far as the interface, I made it very simple and clean. A lot of apps out there use flashy graphics and such, which is fine for a game or whatnot, but this app is meant for serious business, and I decided it needed to be simple to understand and use.

As for activating/deactivating....There really is not a way around that, since the impact of a dropped phone,, is very close to the threshold which an impact causing an injury can occur...

A time delay feature could help prevent calls due to a dropped phone. Say, don't initiate a call for something like 30 sec. When a call sequence is initiated, possibly a CANCEL button would pop up on the screen to easily allow the user to stop the call if it is a "false alarm".

If there's no widget I wouldn't use it.

Stuff like this always annoys the crap out of me when I can't just turn on the screen, hit a button and turn it off. Extra props if there's a way to make it pop up on the lock screen.

Otherwise, good idea.

For income, make it free and use ads... The ads work off of time the app is open (seeing it would be running during the ride... The refresh for the ads would be pretty extensive) and number of impressions on each ad. If you have the button for activation close to the banner with the ad, it will allow for "mis-presses" and you'll get a decent ammount of clicks. The more clicks you get, the more each new click is worth! Attach admob or Adsense to your marketplace account and your good.

A time delay feature could help prevent calls due to a dropped phone. Say, don't initiate a call for something like 30 sec. When a call sequence is initiated, possibly a CANCEL button would pop up on the screen to easily allow the user to stop the call if it is a "false alarm".

Genius. Make it ring for 30 seconds before it fires.

Would it work if i fell out of my tree stand while deer hunting? Assuming i was getting a signal.

Yes it would. Anything with an impact large enough to cause harm would set it off. Tight now I have it set to SMS the address nearby, but I cab easily add GPS coordinates as well...that's probably a good idea anyway, as it could appeal to folks outside of the motorcycle world..

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995S using Tapatalk 2