Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns

chevysoldier

All for this but to play devils advocate. Criminal children are smart, I would think they would figure out who is carrying and go from there.

Also when one of these kids go off the reservation who is to say that a teacher won't do any dammage to the children, or even cause harm to a legitimate visitor to the school. That's a lot of confusion going on there. But then again I don't know the school policies.

+ ELEVENTY ZILLION

I would like to see those teachers trained to police standards in decision making, accuracy etc, but I'm all for it.

The police qualification isn't really that difficult. Plus the fact that the average guy whobgoes to the range once a month shoots more than most police. I believe police are under trained in most cases.

All for this but to play devils advocate. Criminal children are smart, I would think they would figure out who is carrying and go from there.

Also when one of these kids go off the reservation who is to say that a teacher won't do any dammage to the children, or even cause harm to a legitimate visitor to the school. That's a lot of confusion going on there. But then again I don't know the school policies.

Is that a problem in Israel, or Peru, or the Philippines...teachers and/or staff have been armed there for quite a while?

If our immediate goal is to secure the school grounds' date=' then we'll have to push for police officers. Arming teachers won't get passed. Police officers just might.[/quote']

There are over 10,000 school buildings in Ohio, and that's just the public ones.

CORRECTION, just over 5,000.

If our immediate goal is to secure the school grounds' date=' then we'll have to push for police officers. Arming teachers won't get passed. Police officers just might.[/quote']

We had a dedicated police officer (sheriff) on site at our little podunk elementary/middle/high school.

public school, graduating class of 98 people it was pretty small. there's no reason the bigger schools couldn't afford that.

But you live in a low crime area where you can leave your doors unlocked why would they feel the need for a sheriff to be present?

Dunno, he mostly spent his time flirting with the teachers...wrote up the occasional auto crash report for the kids who smacked into each other in the driveway...broke up a half dozen fist fights, and coordinated the drug sniffing dogs. (incidentally they only ever tore into one locker, and it turned out to be bacon bits...)

the school was about 20 miles from my house, too.

Edited by magley64

Ok. Somebody do the math for 2 officers per school building. Regular pay' date=' regular benefits, etc. Might as well go full Monty with this budget proposal, right? I'd like to see the figures.[/quote']

There's about 25k police officers in Ohio, roughly (latest census figures show 21/10k residents, Ohio population is 11.5m, ergo ~25,000 cops.

Adding one cop per school building = a 20% rise in police manpower.

Ok. Somebody do the math for 2 officers per school building. Regular pay' date=' regular benefits, etc. Might as well go full Monty with this budget proposal, right? I'd like to see the figures.[/quote']

looks like $33/hr on average including benefits, equipment and pay.

$105,500 per school per year for 2 officers 40 hours a week, 40 weeks/year

Next question - Are the people gonna put their money where their heart is and approve tax levies to pay for these extra cops?

I have no idea how it was paid for at my school, or of the sheriff's department was so bored they just left the officer there as a priority measure...