Lights for home defense

idodishez

Now... Back on topic. Shotgun vs revolver for home defense. Shotgun better, even in this scenario?

For a 73 year old, I would generally say shotgun. The reason I say this is a two handed long gun is likely to be more stable for them and easier to aim (fyi anyone who tells you that you don't need to aim shotguns for self defense is an idiot). Depending on his health/strength, it may be too heavy and a semi auto pistol may be better.

If you could borrow a 20 gauge and a 12, have them shoot 20 gauge buckshot and 12 gauge reduced recoil and see which suits them best.

Also try having them maneuver through the house with a long gun to see how easy/hard it is for them.

And by all means, buy a light mount foregrip.

For a 73 year old, I would generally say shotgun. The reason I say this is a two handed long gun is likely to be more stable for them and easier to aim (fyi anyone who tells you that you don't need to aim shotguns for self defense is an idiot). Depending on his health/strength, it may be too heavy and a semi auto pistol may be better.

If you could borrow a 20 gauge and a 12, have them shoot 20 gauge buckshot and 12 gauge reduced recoil and see which suits them best.

Also try having them maneuver through the house with a long gun to see how easy/hard it is for them.

And by all means, buy a light mount foregrip.

If a handgun, it will be a revolver. His wife has weak strength and cant work a semi

Maneuvering around a house w a long gun is my concern, at any age. But again, I have ZERO experience.

Light mount foregrip? Huh?

Nobama 2012

If a handgun, it will be a revolver. His wife has weak strength and cant work a semi

Maneuvering around a house w a long gun is my concern, at any age. But again, I have ZERO experience.

Light mount foregrip? Huh?

Weak strength? So how is she with a heavier double action trigger pull on the revolver? Or the weight of it? It may work for them just fine, but that could be an issue too. A loaded semiauto in a quick open safe could be a viable option.

The key to all of this is try all the options and see what works best for them and where their comfort level is.

Coming from someone who has only handled firearms a few times.

Trying to hit something with a pistol was difficult even at what seemed like point blank range.

Trying to hit something with a shot gun at the same range was a piece of cake.

Yes you need to aim the shotgun but it is so much easier to aim that it almost feels like you are pointing it rather than aiming.

A 12 gauge has some kick. A semi-auto less so but a 20 gauge should be manageable for about any one.

I wouldnt advise a pistol grip shotgun as it just makes aiming and control from the kick much worse. But a short barrel (18.5") is suggested. Keeps the weight down and is more maneuverable. Ofcourse most short barrel guns also have extended loading tubes so the weight is still noticeable.

A 38spl is still a good kick in a snub nosed gun. If you go this route a 4+" barrel will have less kick and be easier to aim.

Craig

Weak strength? So how is she with a heavier double action trigger pull on the revolver? Or the weight of it? It may work for them just fine, but that could be an issue too. A loaded semiauto in a quick open safe could be a viable option.

The key to all of this is try all the options and see what works best for them and where their comfort level is.

She's fine w trigger pull on any of them. It's racking the slide she has trouble with. So for that reason she prefers a revolver. I brought up the "chambered in the safe" idea too.

I took them to the range and gave them all the options, but didn't consider a shotgun at the time. May reconsider.

Nobama 2012