Dog down. Yote that is :)

flounder

So about 5 days ago, someone hit a deer about a mile from my house. Well about 2 days ago, I noticed that the yotes had found it and started in on it. Yesterday, they had dragged it from the ditch about 20 yards into the field, and today, they had dragged it another 10 and cleaned it pretty much to the bones except for the neck area. Since I have permission to hunt this field I decided I would head up there tonight since I know they hang out in the woods on the far edge of the field and had been coming to the deer carcass the last few nights.

I got setup, turned on the call and within 5 min, I see 2 heading across the field 225 yards out. I had the scope dialed for 200 just to cover my bases for when/if something showed so it was a no brainer. BANG, DRT! (Dead Right There). The other one took off like a bat out of hell so no luck there but ill be back. :)

Anyway. Sleep tight Mr Yote. This one has a great coat and what you are actually seeing is the exit hole side.

IMG_20121223_232739.jpg

Edited by flounder

Coyotes are good and bad. Good that they help clean up roadkill such as deer and other animals. Bad that they re-produce so quickly, and do quite a bit of damage on the other wildlife. They will pretty much eliminate any coons, possums, Rabbits, Turkeys, groundhogs, cats, squirrels and other wildlife in an area. They are also a pack hunter of sorts and will go after full size deer and fawns are pretty much game over. If food is really scarce and its a bad winter or an overpopulated coyote area, dont be surprised if they go after farm animals such as sheep, calves, chickens are snacks, etc. When those food source dwindles, they travel more and will enter into neighborhoods going through trash and after pets. There was an article a few years ago in TX where 2 coyotes attacked a couple of kids at a playground.

They need controlled just like the other animal populations. And the Bad for this animal outweighs any good they do by a great amount which is why there is no closed season and no bag limits on them. Some states even have a bounty on them. FYI. for those women on the board, unless you have fake fur, where do you think the fur on your coat collars, sleeves, boots, etc come from. The majority of the time its coyote. :)

Edited by flounder

Nice shoot.

We've been driving and killing them around here too...started to really wipe out our rabbit and turkey populations, and we've lost pets to them in our area too so it was time to get them under control.

I found a beagle with a collar and tags still on, all tore up in our woods last winter and found the owner. She let her dog out to pee, it barked and took off and was gone...probably baited by lone female back to the pack. Clever fuckers.

I live in town and my neighbor saw one walk right through my back yard a few weeks back.

I've never understood why they were reintroduced. The fuckers wee all but gone 20 years ago. Now they are everywhere.

We have them behind our development, and that's with all the warehouses, and constant traffic. My neighbor said he thought it was a loose dog, but yeah, wasn;t. He backs up to what was once a bunch of farmland, now a warehouse is going in, so I bet we see them shortly actually treking through our development to cross to the next fields.

On 71 to Mansfield, I see on average 2 per trip, some dead, some not....

Common human ignorance to think because you see an animal with a bad reputation or without to think OMG it needs killed they're over populated. Flat fish comment on they devastate rabbit and squirrels, I disagree, unless they actually are over populated and even then good ground cover prevents this. Saw a billion squirrels and hunted a bunch of rabbits on my property this year and there is no noticeable change. Beagle also ran all night amidst the howls and yipping of the coyotes and even when Ill living outside 24/7 they didn't eat it. I'm not some kind of coyote hugger, just saying sightings don't mean over population and things need done in moderation. Nice kill by the way.

Edited by Gump

You selling the pelt? I would.

edit: squirrels. Red squirrels are invading the local population of grey squirrels and taking the territory. Greys bury nuts and seeds and grow forests. Reds hoard nuts and seeds in caches. Ergo: grey squirrels grow forests, red squirrels do not. There's already a noticeable difference in forest regrown due to invasion of red squirrels. Your responsibility to this ecological disaster: eat more red squirrels. Yotes should heed this warning also, eat more red squirrels.

edit: I also saw a little yote tracking a very scared raccoon in my yard one night. The raccoon saw me, the yote did not. I think the raccoon was thinking about climbing to escape. I was in the way. It quick ran across the street to another tree.

Edited by ReconRat

Those little bastards are a pain in the butt. They live in my barns and filled a full size filing cabinet with butternut walnuts. Now they are filling the space between the old roof and new roof. Often called Piney squirrels.

I have been thinking about doing some yote hunting on our property. I hear them sometimes late at night raising hell around here. Our old Lab started barking last night, in the middle of the night, she never does that. Figured it was a yote near the house.

Common human ignorance to think because you see an animal with a bad reputation or without to think OMG it needs killed they're over populated. Flat fish comment on they devastate rabbit and squirrels, I disagree, unless they actually are over populated and even then good ground cover prevents this. Saw a billion squirrels and hunted a bunch of rabbits on my property this year and there is no noticeable change. Beagle also ran all night amidst the howls and yipping of the coyotes and even when Ill living outside 24/7 they didn't eat it. I'm not some kind of coyote hugger, just saying sightings don't mean over population and things need done in moderation. Nice kill by the way.

I'll address this, since you seem to be countering what I said. I'm not ignorant of coyotes, and I'm not shooting their reputation....I learned first hand and in my own back yard what their presence means.

And I'm for fuck's sure not ignorant of the population of game or the lay of my own land which I hunt and set foot on every single day. When the coyotes moved in, within a year our rabbit population went from abundant to just a few around my house and that's it. Turkeys went from fresh tracks in every run and creek to non-existent. Fields with 50 head every morning weren't seen again.

And you mention ground cover. Funny that, cause I'm in 44 acres of pure briars and dense foilage....you couldn't dream better rabbit or turkey country, yotes still made quick work of them.

We found 3 dens in 2 years, nightly sightings and once the pets, chickens and shit started getting killed then it's time to act. It's interesting that since we started driving them, this summer and fall we started seeing turkeys again. I'm sure it's just coincidence.

Edited by swingset

Your coyotes must be smarter than those around me or perhaps the number of coyotes vs. their access to good habitat is different. My point was, moderation. Just because you see an animal don't assume it's a come back or overpopulation unless you research habitat loss as well. You're simply eliminating your competition and of course if they threaten livestock take them out. Didn't see shit change on my property and I don't freak out and think it needs killed when I see one.

Maybe you had an abundunce of raptors move in. It took federal protection to bring them back and they have the same stereotype coyotes do.

Edited by Gump

I live in town and my neighbor saw one walk right through my back yard a few weeks back.

I've never understood why they were reintroduced. The fuckers wee all but gone 20 years ago. Now they are everywhere.

Not reintroduced just highly adaptive, they've found a new home in the suburbs. I make a lot of trips to Indy for work and see road kill yotes often. Almost every one is within 1/4 mile of a newer housing development.

Those little bastards are a pain in the butt. They live in my barns and filled a full size filing cabinet with butternut walnuts. Now they are filling the space between the old roof and new roof. Often called Piney squirrels.

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious (that they'd fill a filing cabinet). :p

Urban wildlife studies have shown two things:

Species not found inside cities are moving back in. The basic list is bear, lion/puma, coyote, and wolf. Even a few cases of bobcat/wildcat. Most everything else is already there.

Studies of raccoons are showing that city raccoons are nothing like their country cousins, and don't want to live in the country. The food available in the cities has noticeably increased the life span and intelligence of city raccoons. That's right, they are getting smarter.

Not reintroduced just highly adaptive, they've found a new home in the suburbs. I make a lot of trips to Indy for work and see road kill yotes often. Almost every one is within 1/4 mile of a newer housing development.

Western coyotes were reintroduced here in the early 90's while I was a student in a natural resources program. We studied it extensively. On my phone and not real interested in looking up proof. They were all but hunted out by the 70's.

Edited by max power

Western coyotes were reintroduced here in the early 90's while I was a student in a natural resources program. We studied it extensively. On my phone and not real interested in looking up proof. They were all but hunted out by the 70's.

Couldnt find anything on that, but interested. ODNR has nothing on it, but not surprised.