Rural Caucus chair: State should ban, confiscate semi-automatic guns

Casper

Meh. There are plenty folks who think confiscation is the way to go, and have done for a long time. This is nothing new - we just have the political conditions now that the news will report any controversial opinions to sell copies. If he said that pro-2a folks should have their citizenship revoked then the paper would print 2x as many copies knowing that regardless of people agree with him or not they would still read the story.

They confiscated guns in NOLA after Katrina. I doubt they would try to do so on a national level. There are too many gun owners that would not go quietly into that good night.

I don't have the faith that wouldn't happen.

They confiscated guns in NOLA after Katrina. I doubt they would try to do so on a national level. There are too many gun owners that would not go quietly into that good night.

And that was found by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana to be illegal. Probably won't happen again.

edit: quote: • cease and desist confiscating lawfully-possessed firearms from all citizens;

I don't have the faith that wouldn't happen.

I do. If they tried to confiscate without reimbursement, perfectly level-headed people like myself would be making headlines.

My dad pointed out an easy solution - do a federal buyback and offer people $4000 for a rifle instead of $400. They can afford it. I'd take that and find a new hobby. Would be much cheaper than the standoff at my house until I ran out of ammo.

• Upvote 1

I do. If they tried to confiscate without reimbursement, perfectly level-headed people like myself would be making headlines.

My dad pointed out an easy solution - do a federal buyback and offer people $4000 for a rifle instead of $400. They can afford it. I'd take that and find a new hobby. Would be much cheaper than the standoff at my house until I ran out of ammo.

Rep & buy more ammo

Since when is it illegal to shoot a cop in the face for attempting to enter my domicile and confiscate my belongings without a warrant?

It will be if these whackos manage to get what they want passed. At that point, your choice will be to remain a law abiding citizen and hand over your guns, or become a domestic terrorist and be shot for resisting. Not an easy choice.

To be fair I'm sure there were a lot of LOE's working very hard for the public good during that emergency.

It's also past obvious that some of them were working for themselves.

You do have a good point there. ;)

...My dad pointed out an easy solution - do a federal buyback and offer people $4000 for a rifle instead of $400. They can afford it....

"they"? you mean "us", as in U.S.? No, we can't afford it...already in debt up past our ears...

Don't you have a Noam Chomsky book to slobber into?

serpent is googling 'norm chomsky' (sic) right now...:D

...My dad pointed out an easy solution - do a federal buyback and offer people $4000 for a rifle instead of $400. They can afford it...

Probably cannot afford that. AR15 types alone would cost well over 125 trillion dollars. Add in 90 to 120 "other types" and it's over 10 quadrillion bucks.

And that was found by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana to be illegal. Probably won't happen again.

edit: quote: • cease and desist confiscating lawfully-possessed firearms from all citizens;

But people didn't get their guns back. The government stole people's guns and they got nothing in return.

But people didn't get their guns back. The government stole people's guns and they got nothing in return.

Not entirely true but accurate for the vast majority, enough so that if it would happen again it would most likely end with a standoff or exchange of bullets, totally dependent on the governments actions. Peace loving people just want to go about their business without the government making their situation more dangerous or being deprived of property.

Hmm, well they were ordered to do so in something like 30-60 days.

Will need some research to see how well that worked.

edit: Found this:

N.O. Police Returning Guns Confiscated Post-Katrina

Published April 19, 2006

Associated Press

The lawsuit was dropped after the city agreed to return the guns.

Some owners complained it was difficult to get them back. Gun owners must bring a bill of sale or an affidavit with the weapon's serial number. Police also are running criminal background checks on those claiming weapons.

Some gun owners found the weapons were evidence in a crime and not eligible for release. Others did not have the proper paperwork.

Firearms confiscated by National Guard required contact with the state of Louisiana. Apparently that's a dead end.

Edited by ReconRat