Dry Firing

SWing'R

How bad is it for a gun, seriously? In this case a revolver.

I've been researching online a couple Ruger revolvers I'm interested in and I

stopped at Gun World in Hilliard yesterday to see if by chance he carried them.

He did, he had both I was interested in, the LCR-22LR and the LCR-38SPL version.

Both are Ruger hammerless lcr series revolvers.

Everything I read online about these guns keeps talking about the really

hard trigger pull since they don't have a safety, tested at 11lbs (according to the internet).

So I asked the guy if I could test the 22 to see how hard the pull really was

cause I want that one for my wife and want to see how hard it really was.

Dude got all pissy with me about it, but let me pull it once.

Seriously, is it really that bad for a gun to be a dick to someone interested

in buying two guns?

I have read endlessly about the concern mentioned above with rim-fire firearms, but it's not an issue with every gun.

Ruger actually advises dry-firing the 10/22 while practicing, and I don't believe there is any other way to un-cock the gun when you've opened the bolt.

I'm not saying that it's good to dry-fire a revolver; just that it's not necessarily an issue with ALL rim-fire guns.

I have read endlessly about the concern mentioned above with rim-fire firearms, but it's not an issue with every gun.

Ruger actually advises dry-firing the 10/22 while practicing, and I don't believe there is any other way to un-cock the gun when you've opened the bolt.

I'm not saying that it's good to dry-fire a revolver; just that it's not necessarily an issue with ALL rim-fire guns.

yep 10/22 is no problem at all

you would think that if he were trying to sell you the gun, he would have explained that to you...

A lot of people don't know why its just one of the things they've heard you don't do. So instead of really looking like a Jackass and making stuff up he just said no.

If someone saw you dry fire the weapon' date=' maybe he'd lose a sale? :dunno:[/quote']

I was the only person in the store.

I dunno, its not like I just wanted to point it and go bang bang. I had a specific concern and reason for wanting to fire it.

I will most likely be going back in the next few days and buying at least the 22 to start with.

Edited by SWing'R

I wonder if the dry firing rule is a result of firearm safety :dunno: because very few guns can go off without the trigger being pulled. My guess is it was started to prevent negligent discharges based on "I thought it was empty".

I have always been told that pistols are ok to dry fire, personally I do NOT dry fire any of my weapons.

So what is the reason why you don't? I don't dry fire the 1911's or my 22 rifles, but my striker fired pistols get dry fired constantly.

Dry firing a 1911 is perfectly fine.

Dropping the slide without chambering a round is not.

If you're using snap caps, always chamber the snap cap via using the magazine.

Without using the magazine, you risk damaging the extractor.

Why I like my plastic pistols. :D

So what is the reason why you don't? I don't dry fire the 1911's or my 22 rifles, but my striker fired pistols get dry fired constantly.

my main reason is I started shooting when I was about 7 (dad believed it was better to teach my brother and I vs us being curious and getting hurt) and i would sit in my room and dry fire my shot guns. (I was 7 give me a break!!) The next rabbit season i went to fire my gun and it would not fire, gun smith told me that i had fractured the pin from dry firing. After that I never dry fired a gun again.

On another note when my brother was in Police Acc. they dry fired all the time for training purposes, instructor swore up and down it would never hurt the weapon. I guess I would just rather be safe.

my main reason is I started shooting when I was about 7 (dad believed it was better to teach my brother and I vs us being curious and getting hurt) and i would sit in my room and dry fire my shot guns. (I was 7 give me a break!!) The next rabbit season i went to fire my gun and it would not fire, gun smith told me that i had fractured the pin from dry firing. After that I never dry fired a gun again.

On another note when my brother was in Police Acc. they dry fired all the time for training purposes, instructor swore up and down it would never hurt the weapon. I guess I would just rather be safe.

All the people in my class that dropped rounds low and towards the weak hand (anticipating the shot) were instructed to practice dry firing.

All the people in my class that dropped rounds low and towards the weak hand (anticipating the shot) were instructed to practice dry firing.
...On another note when my brother was in Police Acc. they dry fired all the time for training purposes, instructor swore up and down it would never hurt the weapon.

Page 74 and 128 of the "NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting" book we

got during our CCW course talk about dry fire training. No mention of any

harm or potential harm to the weapon :dunno:

I am part of the depends on the gun crowd. I have an old Stevens 22 that can not be dry fired. It damages the barrel and then a new round will not fit in the chamber. It takes about two hours with a welder and a chamber reamer to repair the damage from dry firing. CZ-52 pistols should never be dry fired, the firing pins are known to be brittle and will break. Luger P-08 handgun, same problem with brittle firing pins.

All my other guns, I dry fire all the time. My snubnosed Smith was the most impressive. When it was new it would throw small sparks off the firing pin when the hammer hit it. Now that it is wearing in it has stopped doing that.

BTW, here is a look at the two guns I am considering, 22 for the wife, 38 for me,

or maybe even a 22 for both of us, not sure yet...

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5410.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5401.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8askAg-Mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNF6Td4OvYE

Edited by SWing'R