Dry Firing

SWing'R

That guy at gun world is more of a douche than shitty is. I will never buy anything in that overpriced dump.

His price is almost $100 below MSRP and is $20 less than Vances, and he has them in stock, Vances doesn't. :dunno:

Edited by SWing'R

the manual for the LCR states that dry firing is OK.

the guys on the two Ruger forums i'm on would disagree - on the LCRs the firing pin spring will disintegrate - after lots (2k+ dry fires). occasional dry firing shouldn't hurt, but anything more than occasional - use snap caps. if you get an LCR, put snap caps in it, and 'fire' it 5-600 times (easy to do whilst on the couch during bowl season), you'll love what happens to the already pretty darn nice trigger.

i assume you're looking at the LCR as a carry/defensive weapon, correct? If so, look into the one that's chambered for .357 Magnum. Yes, it kicks, but not enough that you can't easily control it, and you can shoot .38 special with it (as with any .357 mag).

the LCR is not a range gun - that is, you're not going to want to shoot hundreds of rounds downrange every week. The .22 version is probably fine for that, but less than optimal as a defense round. although, as i've said before, ".22 > .00"...

here's mine, in .357, with a pocket holster and a bianchi iwb (in waistband) holsters:

picture.php?albumid=1413&pictureid=16491

Some guns, by their design should not be dry fired. Many rimfires, particularly, can be problematic but most modern firearms do not suffer any ill effects whatsoever from dry-firing.

Quoting this because it needs repeated.

Your only concern should be to check your gun to see if there is damage potential. If there is, or you just don't believe me, spend the $10 and buy some snap caps. Then you have zero to worry about. FWIW, I dry fired the shit out of a $2500 Walther GSP .22LR match pistol (the kind you see folks shoot in the Olympics or the World Cup) 5-6 days a week for 6 months of the year at practice all 3 years I shot for Ohio State and never once damaged it. This is a gun that they warn about damage potential. I pulled team armorer duty, and only once did I replace a firing pin. Given the age of the pistol and how often they were shot, I'd attribute it to exceeding its service life not damage from dry firing

Dry firing is not only ok, its generally recommended as it helps build muscle memory without the disadvantage of recoil. The old perfect practice makes perfect.

Edited by walther_gsp
remembered a detail

I dry fire the piss out of my 642. If you get the lcr .38, I encourage you to do so also (do get some snap caps if you can). Congratulations for making the turn towards responsible gun ownership.

i assume you're looking at the LCR as a carry/defensive weapon, correct? If so, look into the one that's chambered for .357 Magnum. Yes, it kicks, but not enough that you can't easily control it, and you can shoot .38 special with it (as with any .357 mag).

the LCR is not a range gun - that is, you're not going to want to shoot hundreds of rounds downrange every week. The .22 version is probably fine for that, but less than optimal as a defense round. although, as i've said before, ".22 > .00"...

I'm probably going to stick with the LCR-38 (the 5401), it's made for +P rounds, that's plenty for me. And yes, a .22 is definitely better than nothing ;)

Congratulations for making the turn towards responsible gun ownership.

Thanks.

Kudos to you for asking about this instead of just taking the guy's word for it!

Oh he let me fire it, once. And you guys will probably be sick of hearing from me in the next few months, I have lots of questions :rolleyes:

...And you guys will probably be sick of hearing from me in the next few months' date=' I have lots of questions :rolleyes:[/quote']

we were already tired of you, David...:D

don't worry about posting up questions - we all had to learn these things.

"...no question is a 'stupid question' if the asker doesn't know the answer and sincerely wants to know the answer..."

So, for the record... the manual for this gun says that it CAN be dry fired

without damage to the firing pin or internal components.

This gun however is a centerfire, the original one I posted about was a rimfire.

Get something manly. You need to instill fear into those that wish to do you harm

Anyone experienced with firearms will know a .22 by the sound, but how many bad guys do you know who are going to ask "is that a .22?" before they run, or take a round?

Never pull a gun on anyone unless you intend to shoot them. The whole "this will scare him off" theory is a good way to get shot when the bad guy didn't tell you he had a gun too.

Anyone experienced with firearms will know a .22 by the sound, but how many bad guys do you know who are going to ask "is that a .22?" before they run, or take a round?

Never pull a gun on anyone unless you intend to shoot them. The whole "this will scare him off" theory is a good way to get shot when the bad guy didn't tell you he had a gun too.

But the sound of a shotgun racking a round when you don't expect it will scare the crap outta most people. Most will run after hearing that, if not you'll know you have to be ready to use it.

You watch too many cowboy movies.

Have you ever heard a shotgun rack a round when you don't expect it? Anyone creeping around your house that sticks around after that is either deaf or means business. Now I'm not saying you should keep an shotgun laying around hoping to scare people with the sound just pointing out it is a great deterrent. If you've been around shotguns enough you can hear the difference between when a round is chambered and when the foregrip is worked on an empty shotgun.

We will determine her gun later. She hasnt shot the 38 yet so we'll see

if she can handle that ok. If so then prob will get a second 38.

if she's good with the .38, you could get yourself a .357...:D

with the same Hogue Tamer grips as the .38, it's not bad, recoil-wise. I'ts not like shooting .22, and you won't want to spend all day at the range with it, but it's imminently manageable.

Lol' date=' I'm good with the .38[/quote']

Just wait that gun will eventually transfer its evil to you and make you go on a shooting spree. :sarcasm:

After you shoot it for awhile and start enjoying it you may become addicted to firearms.

Have you ever heard a shotgun rack a round when you don't expect it? Anyone creeping around your house that sticks around after that is either deaf or means business. Now I'm not saying you should keep an shotgun laying around hoping to scare people with the sound just pointing out it is a great deterrent. If you've been around shotguns enough you can hear the difference between when a round is chambered and when the foregrip is worked on an empty shotgun.

i dont care to "scare" an intruder....if someone breaks into my place, they better be prepared to get shot. why anybody would leave their sd/hd weapon unloaded is beyond me....my shotgun is within arms reach of my bed, and its loaded with one in the chamber ready to go at all times (safety on, though)

sure racking a round sounds scary to an intruder....but id rather stop the intruder all together.