any electricians here?

AWW$HEEET

i need a new light wired, and it needs to go to a switch too. i have access to the attic above where the light will go. unfortunately i dont know how to do any of this crap.

i cant find any youtube vids on how to do it, most of them are just showing how to wire in a new fixture, from where an existing fixture was. i need to actually run new power to this spot, connect to switch, and wire new fixture. what does something like this cost?

i don't have the fixture yet. even if they just left the wires dangling from the ceiling, i would be able to wire that portion up on my own....

Send me a PM on exactly what you are looking to do and i will get you in touch with a good electricion that will take care of you.

i know there is power up there. there are several other fixtures up there in the attic, (can lighting, etc). i would guess no more than 8 to 10 feet from the proposed new fixture.

Has to be a constant source. The can lights are probably switched too. You have to consider what circuit you are tagging it onto. In many older houses throughout the houses life more and more has been added onto some of those circuits making them potentially overloaded. All by itself adding just a light or a fan isn't so bad, but not if the circuit is already loaded to the hilt. A 15 A circuit is good for 80% of (125V x 15A) which is about 1500W and a 20A at about 2000W and its easy to exceed that extra 20% when adding devices to the circuit.

Has to be a constant source. The can lights are probably switched too. You have to consider what circuit you are tagging it onto. In many older houses throughout the houses life more and more has been added onto some of those circuits making them potentially overloaded. All by itself adding just a light or a fan isn't so bad, but not if the circuit is already loaded to the hilt. A 15 A circuit is good for 80% of (125V x 15A) which is about 1500W and a 20A at about 2000W and its easy to exceed that extra 20% when adding devices to the circuit.

This guy clearly knows more than the rest of us about this. PM him. And I'm not being an asshole, either.

Electric work, especially power electrics like you deal with in your house can be easy if you have a basic understanding of the fundamentals, but if you're tapping in to an unknown circuit, you may be better off leaving it to a professional.

• Upvote 1