OR Trackday Calendar

r1crusher

I was looking at going to one of the tracktactics events at PIRC. Would be my first track day so would obviously pick the slow group. Is there any class time involved with that?

not too familiar with Track tactics events, but if future events are going to be run like their event(s) from last year, i'll probably do one with them. if they don't have a structured class room for novice, definitely go with midohio PTR, motoseries, or STT for your first (or first few) track days. if you're already an accomplished rider (good body position, smooth on gas, brakes, good lines, know where to look, etc etc etc) then you might not need a class... but i would generally recommend a good well thought out class session for at least your first track day.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know specifically about TT. But Motoseries events are closer and offer good instructional groups.

I'd recommend checking them out first and there's lots of members on here that go to their events so you could easily hook up with someone to take you and your bike for your first outing.

EDIT: Didn't realize how close you are to PIRC. That is def. closer out of all the tracks.

PIRC is roughly 20 minutes from my house so its pretty convienient. I am 100% open to whatever you guys would suggest as the first track day I should do.

not too familiar with Track tactics events, but if future events are going to be run like their event(s) from last year, i'll probably do one with them. if they don't have a structured class room for novice, definitely go with midohio PTR, motoseries, or STT for your first (or first few) track days. if you're already an accomplished rider (good body position, smooth on gas, brakes, good lines, know where to look, etc etc etc) then you might not need a class... but i would generally recommend a good well thought out class session for at least your first track day.

Apparently in the tracktactics you pick a class and then they will watch and see how you do and move you to where you think you should be riding. I would obviously pick the slower class. As for being smooth on the gas, knowing where to look, body position etc.. I would like to think that I do all that, but never had anyone watch and critique. I rode with RHill a little last year, maybe he has some input. But I would still be more comfortable with some class time first. Have also been out with J_Copeland and Hailwood once.

Edited by Jester_

So wait, after party at your place and we can crash there if we get too hammered? Sweet, this is full of win. Can you like grill and make sure to stock up on beer, last time we had to go accross the river 10 mins away to get some, it blew.

JK, slumber party in the TH!!!!

I'm no expert,but you should do at least one Novice with MotoSeries.

Craig,Jinu and the other instructors do a nice job and will honestly let you know if your ready for the other groups.

If your bored in the N group,you can get with Todd and your instructor and they can recommend moving you up.

Trust me on this,after a day in N,you will be exhausted!

There is little to no time for a break,except for lunch.

Apparently in the tracktactics you pick a class and then they will watch and see how you do and move you to where you think you should be riding. I would obviously pick the slower class. As for being smooth on the gas, knowing where to look, body position etc.. I would like to think that I do all that, but never had anyone watch and critique. I rode with RHill a little last year, maybe he has some input. But I would still be more comfortable with some class time first. Have also been out with J_Copeland and Hailwood once.

I haven't had any experience with tracktactics, so I'd have to say do your first day with motoseries.

My second trackday was at PIRC with European Motorcycles of Pittsburgh, and I have to say, stay the hell away from dealer run trackdays for your first day at the track. They seem to do nothing to really benefit new riders. I dumped my bike in the first session because of new tires and stupidity, so I backed down to novice to wear them in slowly.....there were idiots passing on the inside and outside of turns IN NOVICE. There were a couple instructors helping out some riders and getting people moved up to intermediate, but there was NO structure to start out....the exact opposite of MotoSeries novice.

MotoSeries covers the basics in the classroom and starts off the first session with a mild pace. It may be a bit redundant and a slow for you since you seemed to have no issue with the pace we were riding on the street, but don't worry it increments up each session. They will switch groups around based on observations, if you speak up you will go faster earlier. By the end of the day you will hit your comfort level from the street and gradually push past it.

If the turn out for novice is light (im not sure how turn out is at the start of the season) you may get some one-on-one time on track with a instructor, ask them to leapfrog so you can set your own pace for a lap. They can observe your riding, then lead you around slightly faster the next lap. It helps to get past mental barriers we set for ourselves. After that you can get some really good feedback from the control rider as well. But just like the street, back off if you feel like you are past your riding limits.

Can't wait to see you out there on the track, you planning on running the VFR?

Thanks Ryan, if you all suggest a motoseries event then I will probably try to go to the one on May 5th. It on my birthday, and would be leaving for deals gap a day or two after that with doc. My other issue is that I only have an alpinestars textile jacket and pants that zip together. I read that should be fine for the novice, but for intermediate it is frowned upon.

And yes this would all be done on the VFR.

Edited by Jester_

If you so go with motoseries, give Todd a call or email and see if they have leathers available for you to rent. It's like 35 bucks or something. Or, see if anyone here has leathers that will fit you.

Il see if I can find a used set.

Watching videos of nelsons I noticed all the patch work on the track. How does that affect the handling in the turns? Makes me a little nervous about going over it.

You won't even notice the patches.

There's as much grip in the patch work as the rest of the surface!

Yeah, theres tons of us that ride/race there, it's not as bad as you think. If it's wet out or early in the day, jus watch 13 and stay inside the patch :)

Other than that, its a track thats been around forever nad tons of fun. Plus we all make it worth coming to, we really do have a blast and this season is going to be the best yet.

Nelson is a bit bumpy but don't be scared of traction, it's there. Personally, I just get on the bike and hang on, hoping for the best! I know there's these little clicky-thingies on my suspension that do things and stuff but I've never figured out exactly what they do. So, I don't mess with them. Someday I'll learn and maybe it will help?

Sounds good. Il be there May 5th. Il be the one on the flat blavk vfr who doesn't know what's going on.

We will be the ones doing all the ass slapping, nipple pinching, and acting like we know what's up. You can't miss us, stop over and say hi! :D

We will be the ones doing all the ass slapping, nipple pinching, and acting like we know what's up. You can't miss us, stop over and say hi! :D

If you come, bring gifts, I love cute little puppies, rabbits, and gerbals. Puppies for grilling, rabbits and gerbals for well....

But yea I dont mess with suspension too much, I have 1 turn in for Beaver and like 2 clicks in or something.

Il see if I can find a used set.

Watching videos of nelsons I noticed all the patch work on the track. How does that affect the handling in the turns? Makes me a little nervous about going over it.

What size are you? I have a set I am looking to get rid of that are in very good shape. These are a size 44 that have been tailored to fit someone between 5'7" and 5'9" and about 185 lbs. PM me if you are interested.

Sadly, I will miss the opening weekend while in Canada celebrating a friends funera...er, wedding. (They are such similar events.) But plan to be there for the one after Memorial Day. This is a great group of gheys..guys, Jester. Looking forward to meeting you out there!

• 2 weeks later...