Do you smoke? If so, Obamacare is going to be up to 50% more expensive for you.

Casper

Insurance companies have always been able to charge smokers higher premiums. I'm not sure why this is a story. I remember a couple years ago Walmart started adding a $2000 surcharge to health care for employees with coverage who smoked.

The article seems to deny it, but insurance companies will be able to charge higher premiums for obese people, as well, just as they've always been able to.

http://rt.com/usa/news/health-care-penalties-americans-769/

Although being fat and generally unhealthy doesn't raise your premiums? :wtf:

Do you even understand how the shitty healthcare system you have must work? It must be more fun to scare other retards such as yourself. It is true that your healthcare is not so good. Must get rid of crappy insurance companies in order to fix.

I must ask if you have a disability. Your posts appear to bely a lack of understanding on how things work in USA. You live there. Maybe you should learn.

Why must you live in fear. You can always admit that your micro penis causes you to imagine threats bigger than reality. Some of us very tired by your bullshit ideas.

Edited by biffbo
  • Downvote 1

Do you even understand how the shitty healthcare system you have must work? It must be more fun to scare other retards such as yourself. It is true that your healthcare is not so good. Must get rid of crappy insurance companies in order to fix.

I must ask if you have a disability. Your posts appear to bely a lack of understanding on how things work in USA. You live there. Maybe you should learn.

Why must you live in fear. You can always admit that your micro penis causes you to imagine threats bigger than reality. Some of us very tired by your bullshit ideas.

:wtf: ..... :nono:

http://rt.com/usa/news/health-care-penalties-americans-769/

Although being fat and generally unhealthy doesn't raise your premiums? :wtf:

Interestingly, a new study came out that questions our current definitions of healthy body weight related to mortality:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1555106

Unfortunately the entire article isn't available without a subscription, but this is only a 2-page review of that study. Basically people that are over in the "overweight" and even grade 1 obesity BMI ranges do not have increased all-cause mortality relative to "healthy" BMI counterparts. The second page (the one that isn't previewed) suggests this may be in part due to including too low of a BMI in the "healthy" range and the limitations of BMI alone in determining health status.

If anyone's really interested in reading the full 2-page review or the full meta-analysis it references, PM me. ;)

wat

• 3 weeks later...

At my employment its $600 per smoker, but if you go through a 6 month course they refund that money, you don't have to quit but it involves a weekly call to some health hotline and waste of time. And it repeats each year until you quit smoking. Maybe charging extra for BMI is next.....

I think that's fair. People who have more accidents and speeding tickets pay more for insurance than I do. Why should people who make no attempt to take care of themselves be any different?

I'm a smoker. That means I make no attempt to take care of myself? Interesting.

I'm a smoker. That means I make no attempt to take care of myself? Interesting.

You are well aware of the health risks of smoking. Why should I have to pay for your choices through higher premiums for me? You should be paying a higher premium because you're "accident prone"? I realize you do exercise and whatnot but that doesn't excuse smoking. Like automotive insurance you are a higher risk and should be charged a higher rate.

You are well aware of the health risks of smoking. Why should I have to pay for your choices through higher premiums for me? You should be paying a higher premium because you're "accident prone"? I realize you do exercise and whatnot but that doesn't excuse smoking. Like automotive insurance you are a higher risk and should be charged a higher rate.
You must be the pinnacle of good health. Please, share with us your diet and workout regime. You must not eat any fat. One alcoholic drink per day. Cardio everyday. I bet you never speed in your car or on your bike. You probably take no risks at all, which means no offroad motorsport activities. Those are incredibly dangerous. Please, tell us all about your super healthy lifestyle that makes you better than anyone else.

Or, don't throw stones in a glass house.

I don't care if you smoke, but your insurance company obviously does...

I don't care if you speed, but your insurance company does... (if you're caught)

I don't care if you live in a house within a known flood plane, or in a high crime area...

But to say that insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to charge you more for choices you make to risk what they are insuring... seems disingenuous.

I don't care if you smoke, but your insurance company obviously does...

I don't care if you speed, but your insurance company does... (if you're caught)

I don't care if you live in a house within a known flood plane, or in a high crime area...

But to say that insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to charge you more for choices you make to risk what they are insuring... seems disingenuous.

It should be across the board. Being fat is much more costly healthcare-wise than smoking. Don't forget diabetes. Or high cholesterol. Or hey, why not start genetic testing and charge more for those who are likely to have a genetic-linked illness like breast cancer or heart disease? That sounds perfectly reasonable. You know what, let's just charge everyone more and force everyone to have insurance. That works. Oh wait.

It should be across the board. Being fat is much more costly healthcare-wise than smoking. Don't forget diabetes. Or high cholesterol. Or hey, why not start genetic testing and charge more for those who are likely to have a genetic-linked illness like breast cancer or heart disease? That sounds perfectly reasonable. You know what, let's just charge everyone more and force everyone to have insurance. That works. Oh wait.

If all those were choices, I'd be on board...

The fat one is a borderline issue, some people that eat too much are fat, other people can eat as much as they want without any weight gain at all...

Genetics you have no control over... smoking is your choice.

I've been opposed to the individual mandate from the beginning, and I don't like it, but it's also the part that makes the math work...otherwise you could say screw health insurance, until you're sick, then buy a policy...

If all those were choices, I'd be on board...

The fat one is a borderline issue, some people that eat too much are fat, other people can eat as much as they want without any weight gain at all...

Genetics you have no control over... smoking is your choice.

I've been opposed to the individual mandate from the beginning, and I don't like it, but it's also the part that makes the math work...otherwise you could say screw health insurance, until you're sick, then buy a policy...

I'll just leave this here for quick reference

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=101984&page=2

• Upvote 1

There's health risks having sex as well.... :rolleyes:

You must be the pinnacle of good health. Please, share with us your diet and workout regime. You must not eat any fat. One alcoholic drink per day. Cardio everyday. I bet you never speed in your car or on your bike. You probably take no risks at all, which means no offroad motorsport activities. Those are incredibly dangerous. Please, tell us all about your super healthy lifestyle that makes you better than anyone else.

Or, don't throw stones in a glass house.

I never said I was, but this thread was about smoking sooooo :dunno:

But anyway, since you asked. I don't smoke, rarely drink and when I do I don't get drunk. I avoid most processed foods, artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup. I bake my own bread, make my own pasta and cook with fresh organic ingredients. I exercise when I have time but by no means am I a gym rat. I am not overweight, I am also not meth-skinny. Oh yeah, I don't do drugs.

My riding style puts me at the back of the pack, I'm cautious on the street as well as off road. I'm not an over the top rider. A few on here can vouch for that. But I digress, this was about smoking which statistically kills way more than how I ride, eat or exercise.

I never said I was, but this thread was about smoking sooooo :dunno:

But anyway, since you asked. I don't smoke, rarely drink and when I do I don't get drunk. I avoid most processed foods, artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup. I bake my own bread, make my own pasta and cook with fresh organic ingredients. I exercise when I have time but by no means am I a gym rat. I am not overweight, I am also not meth-skinny. Oh yeah, I don't do drugs.

My riding style puts me at the back of the pack, I'm cautious on the street as well as off road. I'm not an over the top rider. A few on here can vouch for that. But I digress, this was about smoking which statistically kills way more than how I ride, eat or exercise.

He's not lying. I can vouch for him. Damn healthy ;)

• 2 months later...

Listened to a Obama care presentation the other day. Screw Obama care. Over 50 employees and 28 or more hours a week they must offer benefits. Lots of people getting fired soon or cut hours. Loose loose for employers and employees. Ohio's rates are fairly low, this will make them go up as well higher states going down. Time to look at self insuring again. This thing makes no sense. PM And ill send you a power point.

Edited by Gump