taxes do online or at a tax store?

o-no-moto

Ok so i need some advice about my taxes. This is the first year i will be fileing taxes being divorced and for both my kids. my question is it just as good or better to go online and file them for like 30-40 bucks or to go to h-r block and let them rake me for what ever fee they are going to charge. advantages/ disadvantages would be.. thanks...

Ok so i need some advice about my taxes. This is the first year i will be fileing taxes being divorced and for both my kids. my question is it just as good or better to go online and file them for like 30-40 bucks or to go to h-r block and let them rake me for what ever fee they are going to charge. advantages/ disadvantages would be.. thanks...

taxact.com. Conversational Q&A, 18 bucks to file both Federal and State. I've been using these guys for the last 8 years. I don't see any advantage to using H&R Block, as my understanding is they just hire people, give them a cursory understanding on how to fill out a 1040 (everyone likes to make jokes but it isn't that hard, really), kick them in the ass to upsell you on shit you don't need or ways to skim your tax refund, and release them to unsuspecting rubes.

taxact.com. Conversational Q&A, 18 bucks to file both Federal and State. I've been using these guys for the last 8 years. I don't see any advantage to using H&R Block, as my understanding is they just hire people, give them a cursory understanding on how to fill out a 1040 (everyone likes to make jokes but it isn't that hard, really), kick them in the ass to upsell you on shit you don't need or ways to skim your tax refund, and release them to unsuspecting rubes.

+1

Get some help the first year. You have things that need to be checked. Who claims the kids. .. Home mortgage deductions. Were you married for part of last year? You might be able to file joint. Know any small business owners? Their accountant will do it for you for a hundred bucks or so.

I take mine to a local tax preparer who does it from her house. Charges $30 and always gets my refund back as soon as possible. Mine always tend to be difficult because I have not worked a single job more than a year since I started working. This past year I worked 3 different jobs in 3 different cities and I really didn't want to figure all that out. Also this is my first year filing as independent as well as making more than $25K so I have no clue what tax bracket I am in compared to last year or even what tax bracket I will be in next year making over $50k so to me its worth the money to just take them somewhere rather than research all the deductions and things and possibly screw myself out of money.

I have a tax guy too. I move once a year and have difficulties like multiple jobs and fellowships (they don't remove taxes from your paycheck). Plus, when things come up, he handles them. This year, RITA told me they didn't get my 2011 info... I called him, he handled it. Cake.

I have a tax guy too. I move once a year and have difficulties like multiple jobs and fellowships (they don't remove taxes from your paycheck). Plus, when things come up, he handles them. This year, RITA told me they didn't get my 2011 info... I called him, he handled it. Cake.

Completely forgot about that one, also wasnt sure if I should file where I live now or from my parents house since I technically still live there according to my license. Turns out I get a better return filling from my parents house, township taxes < city taxes :D

Taxact.com or Turbotax.com. even then Turbo tax is a ripoff. I used H&R Block for the first 6 years of my marriage. I realized they were ripping me off after year 6. So i started doing mine on my own with Turbotax. They still charge more then I wanted. So this year I used Taxact, and I have to say it was the best thing, cheap, and easy. Im married with 2 kids. I claim both, since she makes slightly less then I do, renter, so no need for homeowner filing.

What everyone else said. If they are really simple (1040EZ) you could go oldschool and go to the post office and manually fill out the paperwork. Then mail it in. The perk of the software is that it goes step by step making sure you take advantage of all tax credits that may apply to you. Like this one that had been extended for 2012. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Tax-Incentives-for-Higher-Education-

It basically paid for all of my wife's classes she took last year. Also doing them on your own gives you an idea of what to keep track of during the year to help lower your taxable income.

I've used turbo in the past, but I'm boycotting intuit because of their deal with a suppressor company.

Not sure where I'm going. Thinking of checking out taxslayer and tax act now that people have mentioned it.

I bought a house in Sept. So I'm not sure if that will help or hurt my return?

I use turbo tax and its always been very easy for me

My 2012 is gonna be a bit more difficult I think as I had a decent amount of changes including a bonus that put me into a new tax bracket as well as buying a house and addition of Roth IRA. I'll still end up using turbo tax though

I bought a house in Sept. So I'm not sure if that will help or hurt my return?

From what I'm told it should help. I think you can write off the interest on the mortgage but not totally sure. Someone correct me if that is wrong

Have used TurboTax and TaxCut over the last few years. Boycotting TurboTax this year because Intuit has a policy now where they won't allow credit card merchant accounts for firearms accessories companies (cut a bunch of them off with no notice)

I'll be using TaxCut again this year.

+1 on local tax preparer. If you are going to use H&R or Jackson hewitt use turbo ta x.

Tax Cut. Boycott Turbo tax until they give all the gun companies their merchant accounts back and compensate them for the several days of lost sales while finding a new merchant account.

From what I'm told it should help. I think you can write off the interest on the mortgage but not totally sure. Someone correct me if that is wrong

Usually helps. You can deduct the interest for your primary mortgage, some second mortgages and also your property taxes.

You get a standard deduction of about $7k-ish. If you can list more that that through deductions (also includes state taxes, unreimbursed business expenses etc) that you can get a big break on your taxes.

If you itemize deductions you cannot use the 1040EZ and have to use the standard 1040.

I have used TurboTax for the last few years. Check the Tax software reviews and they were still the best so I bought it again this year (before I saw the news about them screwing the firearms retailers).

If you have a simple return the online tax software is a pretty good deal. The actual software seems to be a better deal if you will be using the software to e-file state and have more complicated returns like stock sales or rental investments.

Seems any one can be an H&R tax rep so I dont trust them to do any better than I can with decent software.

Id try one of the other tax softwares.

Craig