Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

Wow those tires are MASSIVE. Thanks for the advice, its pretty much what I was expecting. The bike is very fun on anything smooth but once you get into the exposed roots etc it such a hard ride. I don't think I need one of those niners as I am only 5'10 at 160lbs so something smaller and light would be best for me to manage. I like this one as a hard tail and has decent front end on it

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/bik/3702868715.html

Oh and yes I'll ride with ya dude, I only got one other friend that rides

Edited by motozachl

I've been to dillon once for a race. I remember it starting off hilly and ending with more hills. I'm remember thinking it was a nice place to bike. I hear they have rock gardens but the novice race that I did bypassed these.

Yeah fuck that rock garden. LOL not sure how far we went but we guessed from the trail map that it was 10-12. Then started running out of light and didn't know where we were lol. Found a sign and went up a path to find some camping area. Asked a lady where the hell we were and how to get back to our cars. Rode a few miles back down the road to find our parking lot. Next time we go back we will skip the red, we thought it would just be some crazy climbs and down hills but no it was that stupid rock garden that is impossible. On the yellow part there is a wooden thing that I came flying up on didn't know it had a back side that you could ride down and I just launched off of it. :eek: When I got stopped I screamed back to my buddy so he would ride down it instead of jumping to flat like I did lol. Good times but that road ride back got damn cold.

Wow those tires are MASSIVE. Thanks for the advice, its pretty much what I was expecting. The bike is very fun on anything smooth but once you get into the exposed roots etc it such a hard ride. I don't think I need one of those niners as I am only 5'10 at 160lbs so something smaller and light would be best for me to manage. I like this one as a hard tail and has decent front end on it

Nice looking bike.

You will find better deals on used 26" bikes than 29ers. Nice thing is you are right at average height so most bikes will fit. At 6'2" I need the large frames which always seem to be much more rare. The 29 market is still fairly new. However like I said seems like every who has tried them prefers them. I guess the smoother rolling and better traction makes up for the weight increase. I havn't ridden a good version of either so its just second hand knowledge.

Let me get some my new tires on the bike and get some rides in to see how my back holds up (disc hernia last fall), then we can see about meeting up for a ride in Royalview. I watched some youtube video of the trails there. Looks very nice. Part of what motivated me to get the new tires and try off-roading again.

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

Picked up a GT 29er last month and looking to getting it out this weekend. It is a hardtail but has a front suspension with 100mm of travel. I'm 5'7" and need to watch-out for the boys when I stop and put my feet down. The bike's pretty light-weight and when I was messing around with it a few weeks ago found out just how well the brakes work compared to by 20+ year old Schwinn by almost going head-over-heals.:eek:

I would like to upgrade to a front shock on my bike. From my reading this will cost several hundo to get one worth buying? With this in mind I am thinking maybe I should just upgrade my whole bike because my rims are faily bent etc. I have this old giant from the 90's I have been beating on. See here http://www.ohioriders.net/showpost.php?p=956257&postcount=16

What do I do?

I'd get a new one. you can get a decent trek/specialized with straight wheels for about 5-600. if my gf doesnt like the mtn bike i'm lending her, i'm gonna sell it...2010 trek fuel ex5 with upgrades.

I dont have a regular MTB but from what Ive seen there have been many improvements in MTB technology, especially at lower price points.

And it doesn't look the geometry of your bike is designed to accommodate a suspension fork.

I think you should look at getting a different bike.

Best value is buying one from another rider who is upgrading. However fit is important so make sure its the right size.

Otherwise there is alot of choices at many price points. 29er seems to be the current trend, especially if you are taller. Most experienced riders I know have made the switch and wont go back.

Maybe we should meet up some day to do a local trail. I'm on the east side (Shaker Hts.) so nothing currently much closer than Strongsville. Though I hear Bedford Reservation may soon have a trail.

Im on a FatBike so pretty slow, and Im pretty green off road.

Craig

Love these fat bikes!

decent ride. disc brakes are nice...and when you get hydraulic ones...look out. I'll never ride cable again!

Yeah fuck that rock garden. LOL not sure how far we went but we guessed from the trail map that it was 10-12. Then started running out of light and didn't know where we were lol. Found a sign and went up a path to find some camping area. Asked a lady where the hell we were and how to get back to our cars. Rode a few miles back down the road to find our parking lot. Next time we go back we will skip the red, we thought it would just be some crazy climbs and down hills but no it was that stupid rock garden that is impossible. On the yellow part there is a wooden thing that I came flying up on didn't know it had a back side that you could ride down and I just launched off of it. :eek: When I got stopped I screamed back to my buddy so he would ride down it instead of jumping to flat like I did lol. Good times but that road ride back got damn cold.

I never hit that rock garden...i'll need to try it...there's another race there this year.

I remember a ramp during the race....there was no back side to it...so you had to jump off it. during the race, they said it was optional and it would be well-marked. well, it wasn't marked at all. Luckily for me, i was dead tired and didnt have much speed...so i was able to stop before I launched.

That Jamis is way overpriced, for what you're getting. 8 speed drive train, junk fork, and way heavy.

Also, go 29er. Everybody's getting them now, and it's not just a fad. I've ridden them, and they're better. All the growing pains of increased weight and dumpy handling have been worked out in the last few years, and now they're just stupidly fast and easy to ride. You can pick up a brand new Airborne Guardian with perfectly acceptable components for $600.

I had a 29er on the wish list for this year, but got a smokin' deal on a new road bike I couldn't pass up, so it'll have to wait.

That Jamis is way overpriced, for what you're getting. 8 speed drive train, junk fork, and way heavy..

Agree. From others I've seen around 400 or so but he won't budge too much so oh wells

I'd get a new one. you can get a decent trek/specialized with straight wheels for about 5-600. if my gf doesnt like the mtn bike i'm lending her, i'm gonna sell it...2010 trek fuel ex5 with upgrades.

Pm me some info, price, pics please :D

It blows me away that you can get hydraulic brakes and a decent component set for $600. with a Rockshox fork.

Use to be $600+ for a light weight aluminum frame. Then add in a couple hundo each for components and shocks and wheels. and you're at $1200 easy for a nice setup.

My wife has a really nice Klein Pulse Race hardtail that she never really liked. Bike was always sweet to ride and was worth far more than what I could ever sell it for. So, I have been hauling this bike around for years in hopes that one of my daughters would grow into it. Today was that day.

It was awesome to see her pedaling away on it. A wash and a few upgrades would be nice but a quick little spin on it reminded me how responsive a hardtail can be. Damn, now I want my Attitude back.

I rode my mtn bike in the http://amishcountryroubaix.com/ race. Hills were brutal. I finished and didnt come in last!

Congrats

Looks like a tough ride.

I did about 13miles of pavement on the FatBike (have 2.5" tires on it currently). My first bicycle ride since last fall when I hurt my back. I felt pretty good afterwards so I was pleased.

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

Congrats!!!!

Thanks!

Congrats

Looks like a tough ride.

I did about 13miles of pavement on the FatBike (have 2.5" tires on it currently). My first bicycle ride since last fall when I hurt my back. I felt pretty good afterwards so I was pleased.

Craig

I think my tires are 2.2". I tried to set my pressure to higher than normal to 50psi...but my valve stem couldnt hold it in the rear. gotta figure out if this is even possible with tubeless set up.

I'm thinking about picking up one of those Airborne Guardians for a backup/GF bike. I'm 5'10" and I ride a Fuel EX8 in 18.5" vitual. It seems like it might be a bit too big sometimes. I probably could have gotten a 17.5" but the price was right. My GF is around 5'8", but I would rather it be closer to my size. Any opinions?

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/110-airborne-guardian-29er.aspx

New bike arrived today. Full suspension / disk breaks Nishiki.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17185996&cp=4406646.4425420.13061620

Went out on the intermediate track at Alum Creek and my old bike (Specialized Hard Rock, caliper brakes, no suspension and 16 years old!) and although I got around OK I came off a couple of times when my chain jumped gears going uphill, etc. Have grip shifters and I keep changing gears when I grip the bars too hard going over bumps etc.

Have to assemble the new bike - hopefully I can get out on it this weekend.

Most weekends are good for me. School is almost done so that will open up time.

Craig and MyKill, I say you guys hop on the train in Akron with your bikes, head up to Cleveland and then I can ride down to Akron with you guys. Then I'll get my sorry self on the train in Akron and take it back to Cleveland.