Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

Take 270N to 71N

Take 71N to x131 (rt36/rt37) then turn left/west

After about a mile turn left/south onto Africa Road, it's just behind a new RV dealership.

After 2 miles you will see a state park parking lot on your right just before Cheshire road. It's actually the second turnoff state park parking lot on your right. First one is the boat launch. The second one is access to a "beach", fishing and mountain biking. That's where the "advanced" trail is.

If you continue south on Africa for another 3 miles you'll reach Lewis Center Road which is on your left/east. The trailhead for the "intermediate" trail is on your left about half a mile up Lewis Center road.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2/parkmaps/alumcreektrailmap.pdf

EDIT: Ignore me - exiting at Polaris is quicker.

Edited by Scruit

Now I see why Alum seems to be so popular. It is very close to you Columbus peeps.

Not likely Im going to drive that far for it though. Especially when Mohican is closer.

Craig

Took the Purple FatBike

2013-04-14%2012.34.28-L.jpg

for a ride around Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation MTB Trail today.

Did 2 loops as it is a pretty short trail.

Its my first time riding off-road in a couple years and didnt ride much before that so Im very much a novice. However this was tons of fun.:D

Trail was i good shape but there were 2 small puddles. I would expect they will dry out today but we are expecting more rain tomorrow.

I will definitely be doing more MTB rides this year.

Looking forward to Royalview opening for the season and the grand opening of Bedford.

Craig

i need a fat bike. have you ridden it in the snow yet?

Yea,

It takes really low pressure to get the float you need. Like 4psi low.

In a 4-6" snow it will tractor through amazingly. Takes alot of effort but you move and stay upright.

In deeper you usually need something to have packed the trail some first. Snowmobiles are great for that.

Pretty amazing in the loose sand. But tire pressure is the key. Too much and its just like any MTB. Low enough and it really works.

If you really want float the latest thing is the Moonlander

bikes_moonlander.jpg

While my old school fatbike has 65mm rims and 3.7" tires. That one is 100mm rims and 4.7" tires. :eek:

Ofcourse it takes a 28mm offset to the rear hub and a special crank (or single ring) to clear the tire.

Craig

i need a fat bike. have you ridden it in the snow yet?

If you are tall enough we could meet at Mohican some time this summer and you could ride it. Its an XL frame so takes about a 34"+ inseam to safely clear the top tube ;)

Craig

Trying to sell my Specialized to a buddy, to buy a Airborne Guardian
Ive been eyeing the Goblin lately. Im afraid to get a nicer bike since I seem to put mine through the hell.

I just ordered the guardian a few days ago, wanted the epic goblin but its out of my range at the time being. figure I will just eventually upgrade the guardian to be more goblin-ish

Anxious to hear about the Airborne too. That will be my next bike I think, I almost bought one then the LBS made me a great deal on my GT.

Gonna hit Alum in tomorrow if it dries out (and it should). I need to build some offroad endurance, I've been a lazy ass this winter.