Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

+1

Actually big fat comfy seats are OK for 30+ minutes of casual cycling. But if you are exerting yourself and pedaling some revolutions they suck.

Personally Im a fan of Brooks

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWCWGtmNlDHpeM4UAc5VnEEDACMkyWfJBQ21yufdVdv5iOGzSpfg

My fatbike and commuter both have B17's but they are expensive and heavy.

However gel and "anatomical" seats are worthless in my opinion. Good for that 20 min ride around the neighborhood but not much else.

Much better to get a cycling short. Just get a pair of the spandex shorts with chamois and wear them under your regular shorts.

Craig

I never tried that seat. I just roll with stock. If i were to get a new one, i'd get the lightest one i could find.

I never tried that seat. I just roll with stock. If i were to get a new one, i'd get the lightest one i could find.

Thats because you are fast and probably dont sit down much. :D

Im fat and slow and spend most of my time in the saddle, especially on the road.

Dont really worry about weight or speed, my bikes are a fat bike (Pugsley) and a CrossCheck with 45mm Marathon tires, fenders and rack. A few grams on the saddle will make no difference. :D

I also have a B67

1726-1599-brooks-b67-comfort.full.jpg

On our tandem.

2011-06-12+11.21.31.jpg

If you want to talk about really heavy bikes and saddles. :D

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

They make tandem mtn bikes!!!

Fast is relative :) Actually, i try to sit as much as possible. I think pedaling while sitting is more efficient as well.

Yes, But I have the Limo :D

That thing is about 10' long and weighs 70 something pounds. :eek:

Its so big than when I hang it by the rear wheel from the ceiling of the garage the front wheel has to turn to the side.

But it is comfy, fun and gets lots of attention on a club ride when the stoker is a seven year old.:D

Craig.

So yesterday I explored the trails in the Cleveland Heights ravine.

These are unofficial trails on that that is basically unused/unusable. I saw a note about them on a MTB forum so decided to try to find them and check them out since they are close to home.

I was not expecting much, perhaps some stick strewn rutted trails haphazardly running through the ravine.

What I found was a very well built and maintained trail through a very pretty valley with lots of challenges. Quite a bit of the trail was beyond my capabilities but there was enough intermediate level trails to make it fun. I played it safe and walked when ever I was questionable but had a good time and a decent work out. My computer was not working so no idea how far I rode but there were a surprising amount of trails.

Craig

Nice! know of anymore local trails? Would like some with a few jumps

You should probably take a trip to Vultures Knob if you want anything technical. Great set of trails there including some down hill and man made obstacles.

Did it once but it is not newbie friendly. Its OK if you are competent as you an skip most of the big obstacles.

The ones I did yesterday for the most part were technical and slow. Lots of roots, quite a few rocks and tree trunks. One section followed an old stone path with lots of stairs :eek:. Made it down but was not going to climb more than a couple at a time.

Craig

• Upvote 1

Doesn't have to be a tight.

10-9769-BLK-ANGLE.jpg

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/SubCategory_10052_10551_400067_-1_400000_400020

Or you could just be man enough to not care what others think :D

Craig

This is the style that my friend wore when he bicycled 3000 miles this last summer. Didn't complain about his butt once. :)

Well buddy broke his derailleur. It was a Alivio series. It is tore apart in my garage right now. Probably going to replace it with the same model.

Get the Deore model. I had an Alivio previously and the Deore wasnt much more $ and I think it performs better. Supposed to be a really good value for performance.

I need to replace my front brake still and have a hard time justifying the cash for an upgrade over a cheaper fix. Especially when I dont see myself keeping the bike for a long time.

Get the Deore model. I had an Alivio previously and the Deore wasnt much more $ and I think it performs better. Supposed to be a really good value for performance.

I need to replace my front brake still and have a hard time justifying the cash for an upgrade over a cheaper fix. Especially when I dont see myself keeping the bike for a long time.

I'll pass it on to him. I'm good at spending other peoples money

You should probably take a trip to Vultures Knob if you want anything technical. Great set of trails there including some down hill and man made obstacles.

Did it once but it is not newbie friendly. Its OK if you are competent as you an skip most of the big obstacles.

Awesome thanks dude

Rode the Royalview trail yet again. There were tons of mud ruts on the yellow, seems everyone in Ohio was beating on the track Tuesday. Needs to dry out for a few days yet. On another note the new Gaurdian was tits

Raced the first FastLaps round at MoMBA last night. Finished 6/12 in Sport class, and turned in my fastest lap ever! Training through the winter is so, so beneficial. I think I can get under 50 minutes next week!

Rode the Royalview trail yet again. There were tons of mud ruts on the yellow, seems everyone in Ohio was beating on the track Tuesday. Needs to dry out for a few days yet. On another note the new Gaurdian was tits

I thought those trails were still closed.

http://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/Main/Royalview-Mountain-Bike-Trail.aspx

Canalway Center is open so will be doing a couple loops today at lunch.

Im going to need to figure out a better way to carry the bike on my Beetle. The trunk mount rack I have does not seem very secure. OK for a short run to work but I'm not sure I'd trust it to haul the bike to Mohican. :(

Craig

What's FastLaps and where is MoMBA?

I've been training since October for Mohican 100. I'm pretty sick of bicycles. one more month!!!

FastLaps is the MVMBA's spring and fall race series!

And this is MoMBA:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4485+Union+Road,+Dayton,+OH+45424&hnear=4485+Union+Rd,+Dayton,+Ohio+45424&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

If it is, ain't no body caring and riding it anyways. Saw several others on it

Your description above is why it is supposed to be closed. It takes alot of work to repair a trail that has been ridden wet.

The Canalway center has gates/fence that is easily closed to indicate a trail closure, sound like such a thing does not exist at Royalview. Is there any signage near the trail head?

You cant really blame riders for using the trail if there is no indication its closed. It wasn't even easy to find the status on the Metroparks website.

Hope someone fixes that problem and the trail holds up OK despite the abuse.

Craig