Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

And do you mean off road trails or bike path paved trails? That bike would do fine on paved and some light off road with normal use I would think. I found out real quick with my 12 y.o breaking a cheap walmart bike the first trip off roading that it is better to spend a bit more then $100 if you plan to beat on it off road. He broke the crank apart doing a jump that my bike handled fine with well over twice the weight on it. I will let the experts chime in on what to buy as I just dabble doing some trails local. 

For the little trail riding I do I just went to dicks and got a diamond back hard tail with disk brakes. It is a little aggressive for bike path riding but works. It has handled my fat ass in the woods without breaking so far. I might have to get my front shocks upgraded though as they bottom out under bigger drops and small jumps. But I think most cheaper bikes are not going to be rated for my weight in the shock area. LOL! Do they make shocks for 240-250 pounds?

Probably not a bad suggestion. 

And yes you can get forks for your weight, no problem. Any of the decent adjustable forks should be able to accommodate. But you are probably looking at the $500+ forks. Nothing you are going to find on an entry level bike. Probably best to upgrade to bike if you are interested in off-road. A decent bike will make significant difference in your fun off-road.

Craig

it would be paved roads (trails) I guess, nothing off road, unless i dared to try that eventually. There are so many options, I do understand some things about bikes, but not much.

so the general consus was to steer away from a bike like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Protocol-Dual-Suspension-Mountain-26-Inch/dp/B001IANSJ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3Q4XO3VNRL250&coliid=I57OLZRXVM4L1&psc=1

Silent I would say for paved path that bike is fine, But is not gonna be very comfy. I would look at a hybrid bike if it is mostly being ridden on paved paths, my wifes diamond back is way more comfy then my bike. 

understood, im going to look @ rapelist as well, see if i can find a deal on a used bike. I'm trying to be a cheap ass lol

for example: http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/4023032779.html

I can swap ou the break cable myself, not sure about shock adjustment tho

Edited by silentcropduster

understood, im going to look @ rapelist as well, see if i can find a deal on a used bike. I'm trying to be a cheap ass lol

for example: http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/4023032779.html

I can swap ou the break cable myself, not sure about shock adjustment tho

Full suspension just adds weight, parts to break and robs power for a paved trail ride. Cheap suspension is worthless for anything.

That Rock Hopper would be a decent bike for trail or even light off-road, once its fixed up. 

Looks like it will need a new crank arm and likely a new bottom bracket (bearings the cranks attach to). These both require special tools to install, though the tools are not expensive. 

A rigid or front only suspension is what you want to look for. Hyrid (700c) or comfort (26") bikes are good choices for paved and gravel trails.

Lots of good choices out there used. 

Avoid Huffy, Murray, Mongoose, or any other brand you would find at Walmart or Target. Old Schwinns are OK newer models range from junk to decent.

Trek, Giant, Jamis, and Specialized are all pretty good. Lots of other brands in both lists, dont be afraid to ask.

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

Full suspension just adds weight, parts to break and robs power for a paved trail ride. Cheap suspension is worthless for anything.

That Rock Hopper would be a decent bike for trail or even light off-road, once its fixed up. 

Looks like it will need a new crank arm and likely a new bottom bracket (bearings the cranks attach to). These both require special tools to install, though the tools are not expensive. 

A rigid or front only suspension is what you want to look for. Hyrid (700c) or comfort (26") bikes are good choices for paved and gravel trails.

Lots of good choices out there used. 

Avoid Huffy, Murray, Mongoose, or any other brand you would find at Walmart or Target. Old Schwinns are OK newer models range from junk to decent.

Trek, Giant, Jamis, and Specialized are all pretty good. Lots of other brands in both lists, dont be afraid to ask.

Craig

Craig

what do u presume it would cost to get the bike fixed?

Depends on what you wanted to out into it but for a cheap fixed fork it's 70ish , prolly another 70 is you do what Craig suggested. I'd suggest taking to a bike shop and having a good cleaning and adjustment done ~100. Pedals -$20 If you can't do repairs yourself your paying a bike shop so there's a few more dollars

Then again if it moves when you pedal it and stops and your just using it for paved paths who cares just ride it as is.

Depends on what you wanted to out into it but for a cheap fixed fork it's 70ish , prolly another 70 is you do what Craig suggested. I'd suggest taking to a bike shop and having a good cleaning and adjustment done ~100. Pedals -$20 If you can't do repairs yourself your paying a bike shop so there's a few more dollars

Then again if it moves when you pedal it and stops and your just using it for paved paths who cares just ride it as is.

Um ... Its missing a crank arm.

Thats the part I was saying needed fixed. I do that kind of work myself so not sure the costs for a shop. But assuming you need a new BB and crank its $30 - $150 depending on quality.

Another $10+ for pedals and its rideable. 

If you want to do the work yourself get a basic tool set like this.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_524452_-1___202586

cheap pedals http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_174917_-1___202530

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought  a used mtb on craigslist Saturday and did P1 this evening after work for my first trail. I'm hooked! Looking to try a lot of the other trails around OH, hit me up if anyone wants to ride in the evenings or weekends, It'd be great to learn from some more experienced people. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the bike Fizzer. I may ride a lap Sunday if I have time.

No racing for me since Im way to slow but I do plan on heading to Dayton to go to the Midwest Outdoor Experience to demo the Hobgoblin and Goblin.

Hit me up, we still need to do a ride.

Hit me up, we still need to do a ride.

I will. Rained too much this weekend. I work next weekend so maybe the following if your free we can hit up Dillon or something that is in the middle for both of us. 

Got to demo both the Goblin and Hobgoblin on basically grass and some man made obstacles. Ill be putting in an order for a Hobgoblin Monday if everything works out... :)

• Upvote 1

I will. Rained too much this weekend. I work next weekend so maybe the following if your free we can hit up Dillon or something that is in the middle for both of us. 

Got to demo both the Goblin and Hobgoblin on basically grass and some man made obstacles. Ill be putting in an order for a Hobgoblin Monday if everything works out... :)

Sounds good. I know I'm busy on the 19th but should be free the 20th.

Nice, the Airbornes look like badass bikes, and you're getting a nice FS for the cost of a nice HT. Sucks it rained all weekend, let me know if you ever want to hit up alum evenings or on weekends.