Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

I see that Royalview is officially open.

I think I will give it a try after work tomorrow.

Probably be there around 6-6:30 if anyone else is thinking the same.

Craig

Your description above is why it is supposed to be closed. It takes alot of work to repair a trail that has been ridden wet.

The Canalway center has gates/fence that is easily closed to indicate a trail closure, sound like such a thing does not exist at Royalview. Is there any signage near the trail head?

You cant really blame riders for using the trail if there is no indication its closed. It wasn't even easy to find the status on the Metroparks website.

Hope someone fixes that problem and the trail holds up OK despite the abuse.

Craig

IIRC There's a sign at the bottom by the bridge but none at the top by the overlook.

BTW changed the seat on the Gaurdian to the wtb Speed V Pro Gel and it like night and day. Amazing.

IIRC There's a sign at the bottom by the bridge but none at the top by the overlook.

BTW changed the seat on the Gaurdian to the wtb Speed V Pro Gel and it like night and day. Amazing.

Glad you found a comfortable solution.

This weather has been so nice, and I have been having so much fun riding my fat bike with the new front tire I just had to work in a evening ride once I saw they were open (from Ohiosingletrack.com link to Cleveland Metroparks

Craig

My chain broke 2 mins in to the race. FML.

Calvin's challenge...my buddy wanted me to do that. How far did you go?!

94.5. Was hoping for 100 or so, but got a little beat up by the wind. Still, fun race! I'll definitely do it again next year.

FastLaps Race 2 was tonight at MoMBA. It was a little slick in spots. I about tucked the front tire in a sweeper and banged off a tree. Then proceeded to ride like a big pussy for the rest of the race. 11 seconds slower than last week, after a really flying start. :nono: Gotta hit it harder next week.

94.5. Was hoping for 100 or so, but got a little beat up by the wind. Still, fun race! I'll definitely do it again next year.

FastLaps Race 2 was tonight at MoMBA. It was a little slick in spots. I about tucked the front tire in a sweeper and banged off a tree. Then proceeded to ride like a big pussy for the rest of the race. 11 seconds slower than last week, after a really flying start. :nono: Gotta hit it harder next week.

Nice work man!

I'll be at mohican again this weekend. Weather is saying sunday...was hoping for saturday.

Just saw an article that the Metroparks is hosting a race (time trial) series at Royalview trail in June.

http://strongsville.patch.com/articles/mountain-bike-race-series-set-for-june

I know the trail is beginner friendly so this might be a good chance to get my feet wet with a race.

I know the fatbike and I will not be fast but should be fun :D

Craig

Just saw an article that the Metroparks is hosting a race (time trial) series at Royalview trail in June.

http://strongsville.patch.com/articles/mountain-bike-race-series-set-for-june

I know the trail is beginner friendly so this might be a good chance to get my feet wet with a race.

I know the fatbike and I will not be fast but should be fun :D

Craig

What a good oportunity!! ....to troll :burnout:

Hitting up medina Reagan trail tonight w00t

Thanks!

Here's my report from last night's race at MoMBA:

http://cephas365.blogspot.com/2013/05/128-big-wuss.html

Good read. In shorter races like that, I find it more beneficial to be less aggressive in the short/fast areas for the risk outweighs the reward. You can only go so fast on a downhill before it gets dangerous. Hammering the climbs and the easy straights is where you will definitely make up your time. I would actually consider just coasting and giving the legs a rest on the aggressive downhills....focusing on the lines.

Yup. I'm just coming to the point in my fitness where a 9 mile ride is considered short! :lol: I'm used to having to save some for the end, but now that's not such a worry. A new problem, but a good problem to have!

Yup. I'm just coming to the point in my fitness where a 9 mile ride is considered short! :lol: I'm used to having to save some for the end, but now that's not such a worry. A new problem, but a good problem to have!

You'll make more time blasting up a hill that takes 5 minutes than you will blasting down a hill that takes 1 minute. Ride on!

You'll make more time blasting up a hill that takes 5 minutes than you will blasting down a hill that takes 1 minute. Ride on!

lol,

At this point in my MTB skill Im barely faster going down than going up. Atleast for hills that are not steep. My skill level is more limiting than my fittness :(

But what you say is very true. And a crash or breaking something takes much more time than you can save ;)

Craig

What under shorts are you guys running?

Think we are taking a buddy that has never been on a short local trail on Wednesday. Hoping to get him to join our riding group when he moves back in a few months.

What ever I found on clearance :D

Usually something from Nashbar or Performancebike. Though I have learned to avoid their cheapest shorts as the spandex is very thin and the chamois has rough edges.

Just picked up some Performancebike Nevado shorts with included liner that look good. I'll see how they work this week if the weather improves.

Craig

Those nevado shorts look nice.

I was thinking of something like these.

Amazon

pearl izumi elite are my favorite. They can be expensive ($100). i have 5 pair of shorts...the low end is from performance...their cheapest set...i refuse to wear these. i have a few $40-$50 range shorts...i try not to wear these either. I have two pearl izumi elite, one pair my gf bought me for my bday and another pair i just picked up.

I did 3 loops of mohican yesterday...8+ hours...and my ass doesn't feel too bad.

I have a couple pairs of Fox MTB shorts (came with padded liner) for the dirty bike, plus a cheapy pair of HOSS shorts with an integrated liner that I bought years ago when I first got into it. And a couple pairs of PI cheapy shorts for the road bike.

The padded liners at Deal Extreme are the fucking bomb. Ridiculously cheap and as nice if not nicer than my Pearl Izumis that cost 4x as much. Other than taking a while to ship, they're superb. The reviews don't lie.

http://dx.com/p/bicycle-riding-suit-sports-pants-underwear-with-cushion-size-l-52840?rt=1&p=6&m=1&r=4&k=1&t=1&s=&u=52840

I wear them under board shorts for mountain biking, and it's super comfy.

Edited by swingset