Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

Man the up hills kill me.

Nothing irks me more than riding with people who not only are fast up the hills, but like it....all happy and shit when they see a big one coming.

The only reason to ever ride up a hill is to enjoy going down it...you're not supposed to enjoy that huffing and shit.

Weirdos.

Nothing irks me more than riding with people who not only are fast up the hills, but like it....all happy and shit when they see a big one coming.

The only reason to ever ride up a hill is to enjoy going down it...you're not supposed to enjoy that huffing and shit.

Weirdos.

Thats how my buddy is. I yell cuss words at him as I fall over near death ten feet up the hill.

Weirdos.

Im not that fast uphill but I try my best to climb well. Mostly because I like to make the little guys with their light weight bikes feel bad when a fat guy on a fatter bike pass them. Used to ride single speed just to make more of a point but found 1x9 is much more fun. :D

Ofcourse my skill level is pretty low and I ride a rigid bike so Im not very fast on the down hills :(

Craig

Im not that fast uphill but I try my best to climb well. Mostly because I like to make the little guys with their light weight bikes feel bad when a fat guy on a fatter bike pass them. Used to ride single speed just to make more of a point but found 1x9 is much more fun. :D

Ofcourse my skill level is pretty low and I ride a rigid bike so Im not very fast on the down hills :(

Craig

I make up for it on the down hills. 29er with a fat kid on top that likes to go fast makes for some good momentum.

I make up for it on the down hills. 29er with a fat kid on top that likes to go fast makes for some good momentum.

Yea that's me on road rides with my recumbent. :D

I pass skinny roadies like they are standing still going down :D

And they easily make it up when the roads turn up :(

Strada%20B12web.jpg10_zoom.jpg

Craig

I wanna be a better climber. I'm a lot better than I used to be, but I have a long, long way to go.

Finished out the spring FastLaps series on Wednesday. So, so close to getting what I was trying for...

http://cephas365.blogspot.com/2013/05/135-six-seconds.html

Nice write up! keep at it. try doing 2-3 loops at like 1hr per loop. that will help your racing.

Nice write up! keep at it. try doing 2-3 loops at like 1hr per loop. that will help your racing.

Last year I was training to do a race, something I've never done. At my best I was doing three 6-mile laps of Alum in just a touch over 2 hours, which for the sled I ride and my physical shape was pretty fast....then I wrecked hard on a really easy spot and bruised my kidney, had some real wicked nerve damage and it ruined me for the rest the season.

It's been like that every year since I started. When I start getting comfortable and attacking the trail, I end up getting hurt and set back to where I'm starting over. Frustrating as hell, but this year I said "fuck it" and I'm just riding a comfortable pace for the exercise and enjoyment. I think I had too much ambition for someone starting so late in life, cause I can't soak up the damage and the learning curve demands it if you're going to hit the challenges.

I think that's gonna be a lot of my summer training. Even after I'd caught my breath from the races this Spring though, I wanted to go for another lap. Weird.

Anyway I have a 6 hour race this fall to train for, too. Gotta keep that endurance up, and in the mean time keep pushing my VO2 Max and lactate threshold higher with intervals.

Not to interrupt the convo in progress, but who here has hydraulic disc brakes on their mtn bike and have flushed/bled the system? What I've read is that some recommend Magura Blood Oil, but mine is built with Shimano XT series calipers/system and their website suggests Shimano mineral oil. Does it really matter which I use? I'd assumed the OEM spec'd mineral oil would be the best choice with the least questions, but if the blood oil is a better performing fluid that would remain compatible in the XT brakes is it worth tracking down? I plan to do this soon since I'm already behind on maintenance for the year, so any help is mucho appreciato!

Not to interrupt the convo in progress, but who here has hydraulic disc brakes on their mtn bike and have flushed/bled the system? What I've read is that some recommend Magura Blood Oil, but mine is built with Shimano XT series calipers/system and their website suggests Shimano mineral oil. Does it really matter which I use? I'd assumed the OEM spec'd mineral oil would be the best choice with the least questions, but if the blood oil is a better performing fluid that would remain compatible in the XT brakes is it worth tracking down? I plan to do this soon since I'm already behind on maintenance for the year, so any help is mucho appreciato!

Won't matter one bit. Unless you're doing a 10 mile downhill riding the fuck out of the brakes the whole way, you'll never notice a difference.

I'm still trying to find a good backup MTB for my GF to ride. She is 5'5", would she be able to ride a 17" frame 29er without too much of an issue or would that just be too big? The local place where I ride has some drops that require you to get off the seat and over the back wheel. I'm 5'10" and want to use it as my backup bike too.

I don't think so dude. This 18" is all I can handle and i'm 5'10 as well. She would probably want a 16" or smaller. Why not get her a cheapo 26" while picking up a nice 29 for yourself

on a side note did you get your ski done? the fx1 a fly ride?

Won't matter one bit. Unless you're doing a 10 mile downhill riding the fuck out of the brakes the whole way, you'll never notice a difference.

Exactly.  you wont notice a difference.  I'd go with OEM fluid and ride on.

I don't think so dude. This 18" is all I can handle and i'm 5'10 as well. She would probably want a 16" or smaller. Why not get her a cheapo 26" while picking up a nice 29 for yourself

on a side note did you get your ski done? the fx1 a fly ride?

Does the 18" feel a bit too big for you?

I did get the ski done; it's a blast! Still trying to get a few things dialed in on it but I'm happy with it for now...

Took the day off yesterday for my last training day before Mohican 100 race.  did two loops in 5 hours 10 minutes.  I'm race ready!

Impressive!!!

Good luck next week in the race. Are you doing the 100 mile or 100km?

I have thought about doing the 100km at some point but I am a long ways away from that in fitness. 

Craig

Impressive!!!

Good luck next week in the race. Are you doing the 100 mile or 100km?

I have thought about doing the 100km at some point but I am a long ways away from that in fitness. 

Craig

Thanks!

I did this same workout in April and it took 6:08.  Skinnier tires, smaller camelbak, and better fitness help me shave an hour.

I'm signing up for the 100m.  On friday at check in, I can decide to do the 100km...I'll only do this if it's raining all day.  100m in the muck will suck!

Does the 18" feel a bit too big for you?

I did get the ski done; it's a blast! Still trying to get a few things dialed in on it but I'm happy with it for now...

Nope it does feel appropriate for me now that I have over 100 miles on it now. I LOVE this bike i also freaking LOVE the medina trail. Rode again on tuesday

Can't wait to see the ski. Come up this weekend with your man 102nd7

Nope it does feel appropriate for me now that I have over 100 miles on it now. I LOVE this bike i also freaking LOVE the medina trail. Rode again on tuesday

Can't wait to see the ski. Come up this weekend with your man 102nd7

So how long is the trail there?

How difficult?

Been meaning to get down there but it is a 50min drive from here :(

Ive done Royalview a few times. Its pretty easy. I had no problem doing both loops. Would have done more but didn't have time.

May have to try to squeeze in a trip to Medina this weekend sometime.

Craig