Seeking Winter Maintenance Assistance

Blitz

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to put some money into my bike to make sure she's ready for the upcoming riding season. Can't believe we're halfway through February already.

I have a 97 ZX6-R that has been put through some heavy riding the past year and a half. I'm looking to have the valves adjusted. I also would like to clean and sync the carbs and really just get it running right before it gets warm. And after the general maintenance I plan to paint her.

So, though I've replaced my clutch plates myself as well as some other pretty easy jobs, I've never tore into the engine. I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd pay someone to do these things and would take any suggestions on someone that could perform these jobs on it. I'd also be more than happy to have someone willing to show me what I'm doing and help me do it myself. Either one is great, but I'd prefer to learn to do it myself so I can do it in the future as well. I plan to own a motorcycle for a long time.

So, let me know guys. I've had the bike for a year and a half and it's time to do some of these things that I just have no knowledge of. I can watch as many youtube videos as there are, but I need to learn by doing. And I don't want to tear into her and not be able to put it back together.

Thanks fellas.

Im slightly closer but it would still be a haul.

Hard to adjust valves without a set of shims and the tool to push the valve open.

Impossible to sync carbs without sync tool.

I have none of these things. Will help if you bring up bike and tools after it warms up some

we spoke already.

not that i wouldnt love to help him, but my off time is sparce at the moment, and i only have late night time to work on things. so i could do what he needs and charge him, but if he wanted me to be there for guidance and him do the work, our schedules wouldnt line up for that to happen.

Damn fellas,

Nobody with a garage that wouldn't mind dropping some knowledge on me?

I'm sure there are a ton of folks on OR that have both the skill and the willingness to help with a chore here and there. Problem I see is two fold: first, it's winter, and unless you got a heated garage, working on YOUR OWN bike ain't much fun; and second, the maintenance items you're talking about doing are prolly not quite simple enough to get done in an evenings time, especially if it's being done by an inexperienced guy who wants it to be a learning session. So you'd be asking to impose on people to use both their garage space, their tools, and several hours of their evening free-time for at least a couple of days. If you were a good bud and lived close by and were bringing beer, I'd say "Hell yeah, come on over and we'll get drunk and fuck up your bike!" :D

I applaud your desire to learn, but I'd say wait until the air gets a bit warmer and then see what shakes down.

I'm in the same boat as Blitz... I can do basic maintenance on my bike, oil change, chain adjustment, etc. However, I need to get the suspension rebuilt and/or upgraded in the front, and a new shock in the rear. I'm not really comfortable messing around with that on my own. I'm also due to change the chain and sprockets soon as well (could maybe used a valve adjustment too, not really sure what to look for regarding that).

My brother in laws helped me with learning to do oil changes and chain adjustments, spark plugs, etc, but his experience beyond that is a bit limited, though he's more mechanically inclined than I am. We did bleed my front brakes one night as well, which was a learning experience for both of us. He said he's willing to work on the suspension and chain/sprockets with me, but given that neither of us are very experienced with it might mean my bike being out of service for a while.

I did see there's a shop up somewhere around north-east Ohio that does suspension work/upgrades and I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to take it there for that.

It was on Race Tech's website:

http://racetech.com/page.aspx?id=35&menuid=94

Maximum Performance and Handling Peninsula, Ohio Doug Duane Scheibner Mega-M.A.X. 330.922.8000 Doug@MPHOhio.com

What Bubba said makes sense and I certainly wouldn't want to be an inconvenience. I'm very self sufficient, just don't have the experience to dig into it. It runs as it is, I just know it should run better. The last thing I want to do is make it so it doesn't run.

Changing the clutch plates myself was very rewarding. I'd like to be able to do more. I just have a feeling a service manual won't have all those little details that a knowledgable teacher would be able to provide.

When it warms up, I'd like to have it in riding condition. So.....that leaves me between a rock and a hard place. I may just truck it to you Hoblick and leave it there for you to tinker on when you have the time. Certainly wont need it any sooner than six weeks I would say.

Can you give me some kind of quote for that work Ryan? I'd greatly appreciate it.