2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES $5500

imaposer

Model- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L(leather) RES(rear entertainment system)

The Good:

One owner

Dealer maintained per honda recommended schedule - all records

Never wrecked

Everything works, all power doors, windows, sunroof, stereo, dvd player, heated seats, etc.

good quality tires, still have decent tread left to them.

Price!

The Bad:

high miles - 242,000

burns oil - you occasionally see a puff of smoke on acceleration. This started around 180,000 miles. Burns approx. 1 quart every 1250 miles.

currently has check engine light on - code pulled was P2647

has occasional "thud" when shifting from drive to reverse - typical of when a motor mount is failing(which happened around 80k, and 160k miles, so falls in to the pattern)

cracked windshield(which seems to be the norm on all cars anymore)

Picture from the day we bought it-

DSCF0229-M.jpg

Current pictures-

CA_02201318022694-M.jpg

CA_02201318023764-M.jpg

CA_02201318021722-M.jpg

CA_02201318011592-M.jpg

The time has come to sell the beloved family truckster. It has served us well, but it started running rough and kicked on the check engine light last month. Just under $1000 for a new catalytic converter and an injector(or a couple?) later, it was back in action. Then two weeks ago, it kicked the light on again. This time they are saying it's a sticking vtec oil pressure switch, and want $400 to fix it. I found the part online for $88, and instructions to change it. Supposedly an easy 1.5 hour job. But, I bang my knuckles turning wrenches all day long, I sure don't want to do it when I get home.

At this point, the wife is ready to go ahead and get something new again, so it's time for this to go. Condition is as expected for a van that has lived the typical minivan life of hauling me, the wife, our 2.5 kids and 2 dogs all over the place. It's dirty inside. Not creepy hoarder, garbage up to the ceiling dirty, but kids getting in straight from football/baseball/soccer without worrying about mud, family eating drive thru meals while on the way to the lake on a Friday night, crap I dropped my hamburger type dirty. I'll bet a good detailing would make it look pretty darn good, but I sure as heck ain't doing it. Exterior wise, it's got it's scrapes and bumps expected on a vehicle with nearly a quarter million miles, but nothing significant. I'll run it through a car wash before I take pictures. I'll even splurge for the colored soap.

If you're a single mother with three kids who needs a reliable van, and would have to take it in to the dealer for every little issue that comes up, please, look elsewhere. This would be ideal for someone who is mechanically inclined, and doesn't mind working on their own stuff.

Price - $5500 Please, no low ball offers. That's only a few hundred dollars over my net trade in value(dealer offer price + tax savings). If I can't get close to that, I'll just let the dealer deal with it in a few weeks when the wife decides whats next.

Posting here first, pics will get added tomorrow. Then on to other places.

Edited by imaposer

glws but asking 5500 for a 242000mile car that burns oil and puffs smoke.........maybe you should stop puffin and rethink the listing.

BUMP for honda vans

Believe me, I didn't expect it to be worth squat. I honestly was looking at donating it to goodwill and just taking the tax write off. But, the first dealer I went to asked me if I was trading it in, and I said, sure, give me a number on it and he came back with $4k. That was kelly blue book, rough trade including a nearly $3k deducion for high mileage.

I have to agree. I took 2 minutes on CL and found the same trim level '04 for $5,495.

:pSecond dealer did something similar. When I said I would like to trade it in, and I was hoping to get $4k blue book trade in for it, he said they use edmunds, not kelly. He spent a few minutes typing on the computer and came up with $2250 for trade. I thought that seemed so different from the other number, while he went in back to "work the numbers with his boss", I did an edmunds quote on my phone. It came back at $4770. When he came back, I questioned it, and he showed me where he worked it up. He had it entered as an 04 ex, not an 05 ex-l res. He corrected it, and saw the $4770 number and said he'd change it on the paperwork.

Now, I realize dealers have about 50 different ways they can try to slide money back in to the deal on the back side, so realize there's a good chance when it comes time to do the final paperwork, there's going to be some extra numbers in there that are to offset the trade in offers, so that's why I'd rather sell it outright and not have to argue with them later.

All three online valuation sites I ran the numbers through had it as $3700-$4700 trade in with the mileage and condition figured in. Hell, clean trade in for normal miles is almost $9k. If someone doesn't mind having a car that will need some work every few months, and can do it themselves, it could be a great car for them. If it doesn't sell, fine. I'll let the dealer have it. If the dealer ends up with some funky numbers and it's because of the trade, I'll pull it out and do a deal with no trade, then donate it like I had figured from the start. Whatever way it goes, it's served it's purpose for us. ;)

if someone is gonna give you 4k for this thing i would have taken it right on the spot. these vans are awsome machines and they go forever if you take care of them. (look at yours) i would just take the money and run. if nothing else just rent a car for week or two till you figure out your next move. but i can bet not many people will give your 4k for the van

Sold!

Less than 24 hours on Craig's list. I had three interested buyers, one of which wanted to drive down from Lima. Sold to the first guy to come see it for 5k, which was his first offer. Yes, I'm as surprised as anyone, but it makes my buying a new car today much easier.